Someone please explain this...

Y'all sure whine about your bread and butter customers now dontcha?

:)

Seems to be somewhat common in US airline culture. I've heard many airline employees speak poorly about customers with elite status, ignoring the fact that it's those regular customers who make up a large percentage of the overall business. Yes, some act like prima donnas, but that's just people in general.

I travel out of uniform about 50% of the time, particularly on international segments. I notice that I'm consistently treated better by most employees when I'm in uniform, and they think I'm a non-rev.

Sometimes in life, you get what you put in. People think "the airlines" are one big entity that everyone hates and they can act how they want and they are entitled to help and compensation for anything that wasn't outlined in their itinerary. In reality, airlines employees are just people who work for a cooperation, and that cooperation happens to be an airline who's business is moving people in airplanes from point A to point B. So when you're screaming in my face, you're not screaming in United's face, you're screaming in Chasen's face. And while I have too much integrity to yell back, I could save that last seat on the next flight for the lady standing patiently behind you looking in disbelief as you get red as a tomato pounding my counter cursing my name and end up number 106 on standby. But its cool, dude is screaming in my face and I'm unprofessional for laughing at him in my head and drowning out his irate potty mouth after I've already laid out his options. Those damned airline employees.

Just sayin'.

So I'm a tool because I wore a necktie and sport coat while traveling yesterday? I'm sorry that you and I didn't have the opportunity to meet. I was in TVC, ORD and OKC as one of your employer's customers. Perhaps we should set a date next time. I also own a business so that makes me one of your truly vilified passengers. I travel in a tie because I'm old school, I'm doing my part to maintain a shred of civility in airline travel, my wife seems to like how I look in a jacket & tie, and we find that we're treated a little better because we're not dressed in pajama pants and flip flops. Clearly I didn't encounter you yesterday because every UAL employee I dealt with treated us with courtesy and professionalism. From the other end, I never witnessed any passenger yesterday unload on any UAL employee - whether it was the captain, flight attendant, station manager, ramper or reservations agent on the phone - even dealing with a systemwide charlie foxtrot due to ORD's shutdown at 1400 due to a tornado warning. And when we finally arrived in OKC at 0100 this morning, every one was courteous when filling out lost luggage claim forms - even me, one of your despised, necktie-wearing, "business man" passengers.

And just so you know, I don't fly first or business, but I'm at the front of every line because I know what I'm doing, I pay attention, and I don't slow down anybody else. As a passenger, that's my job. How about improving your professional outlook as part of your job, or go find another?

Oh, you've never seen anyone get out of line with a United agent? Guess those 2 and half years of my life were all a dream. Thanks for clearing that up. And FYI, I hooked up more passengers than anyone will ever know and bent more rules for businessmen like you than all my other co-workers combined. So we're even steven.

If all the studies about loading front-to-back, back-to-front, window-to-aisle were laid out end-to-end, it would be longer than a TSA line at JFK.

If the studies all agreed, then every airline would do the same. It takes about the same amount of time to load the coach passengers into the same aircraft, no matter how you do it. I think the same is true for Southwest, aircraft for aircraft model, but I haven't read that one.

First is different, only because of the much smaller number of customers.

I had to push through all the group 3 and 4 folks when they called first class boarding today. You'd think they were giving away beer at the boarding door.....c'mon folks there's 16 first class seats on an MD80, no need for 70 people to be crowded around the door....

I had to push through all the group 3 and 4 folks when they called first class boarding today. You'd think they were giving away beer at the boarding door.....c'mon folks there's 16 first class seats on an MD80, no need for 70 people to be crowded around the door....
When he flies Delta, he boards in Zone Negative One. He is the most interesting jumpseater in the world.

They're called gate lice.

I don't understand everyone's obsession with bag space. I used to be wary of gate checking my bag when I first started commuting. But then one day they brought an M-88 into LIT and there I was having to find a place for it on the airplane and I had a moment of clarity. I wish I could gate check my bag on every flight. In all the commuting, non reving, and regular flying I've had issues with gate checked bags twice. Both of those were issues created by my "Deadhead crewmember, please leave plane side" tag.

I don't understand everyone's obsession with bag space. I used to be wary of gate checking my bag when I first started commuting. But then one day they brought an M-88 into LIT and there I was having to find a place for it on the airplane and I had a moment of clarity. I wish I could gate check my bag on every flight. In all the commuting, non reving, and regular flying I've had issues with gate checked bags twice. Both of those were issues created by my "Deadhead crewmember, please leave plane side" tag.

Gate lice. I love it. I'm with you on the gate checking thing though. I love to leave it and then just sit patiently at the other end and be the last guy off instead of trying to stand in a short RJ cabin. Wouldn't you know it when I come walking off there's my bag and I can grab it and keep walking instead of having to join the mile long line down the jetway. Now if I could just get mainline to bring gate checked bags up to the jetway life would be perfect.

Gate lice. I love it. I'm with you on the gate checking thing though. I love to leave it and then just sit patiently at the other end and be the last guy off instead of trying to stand in a short RJ cabin. Wouldn't you know it when I come walking off there's my bag and I can grab it and keep walking instead of having to join the mile long line down the jetway. Now if I could just get mainline to bring gate checked bags up to the jetway life would be perfect.

Exactly. I used to think it was funny that airlines used the word "Valet" when talking about gate checking. Seemed like they were trying to trick you into thinking they're doing you a favor. But it really is nice.

Was awesome to meet you btw. I'm glad you brought your fiance along. Amber enjoyed talking to her, kept her entertained!

Exactly. I used to think it was funny that airlines used the word "Valet" when talking about gate checking. Seemed like they were trying to trick you into thinking they're doing you a favor. But it really is nice.

My bag was gate checked in First headed back from Vegas, so yeah, that's why you get in line. Took 50 minutes to get it back in Tampa, made me late for work.

It saves a lot of hassle, particularly on trips where you may simply not go back to the airport your bag disappeared from, and/or the ramp agents are on strike 25% of the time (looking at you, Italy). Of course, sometimes I don't have a choice about checking bags.

Back