Someone else has made it to Southern Jets

Eh, I think we've just diluted the term too much. The average "influencer" is pretty much normal, just with a little extra shade of narcissism. The idea of being "neurodivergent" is just one of many social contagions currently spreading around on social media. "Trauma" is another. Everyone and their brother is claiming to be suffering from immense amounts of trauma. But when you drill down, it's really just typical life experiences. People just love to be seen as oppressed, traumatized, victimized, etc. Apparently being normal doesn't get enough "likes and subscribes."

So we were at a wedding last summer for one of my friends. Night before, a bunch of us all met up at a nearby brewery and were all catching up around the campfire. Turned out my buddy's college ex (who was also there), who I hadn't seen in probably 10-15 years, had been an Instagram influencer with like a million followers, but got fed up with it and stopped. I was super surprised. She wasn't that kind of person before, and isn't now. Maybe she was for a while? She was about the last person I'd have imagined becoming an "influencer". I don't even know what she influenced......candles and incense? Knitting ironic hats and scarves? The Real Lives of Portlandia? I think I asked, but I was too surprised by the fact that we were talking about this at all, to really focus on what she said. It's like in those movies where a person's mouth is moving but all you hear is being underwater :)

So we were at a wedding last summer for one of my friends. Night before, a bunch of us all met up at a nearby brewery and were all catching up around the campfire. Turned out my buddy's college ex (who was also there), who I hadn't seen in probably 10-15 years, had been an Instagram influencer with like a million followers, but got fed up with it and stopped. I was super surprised. She wasn't that kind of person before, and isn't now. Maybe she was for a while? She was about the last person I'd have imagined becoming an "influencer". I don't even know what she influenced......candles and incense? Knitting ironic hats and scarves? The Real Lives of Portlandia? I think I asked, but I was too surprised by the fact that we were talking about this at all, to really focus on what she said. It's like in those movies where a person's mouth is moving but all you hear is being underwater :)

A lot of people just fall into it. I know a guy who is now a professional TikTok creator who used to be a top sales rep for one of our industry vendors. One day he just made a TikTok about buying lunch for a homeless guy, it went viral, and before he knew it, he had hundreds of thousands of followers. It definitely changed him, though. He’s become a massive doosh.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but I am uh, whatsit, "neuro-typical" across the board, at least according to tests done in like 1995 because I was kind of a little poopy-head in high school, and Mom was worried, so off to the head-shrinker I went. I believe the verdict was that I was basically just being a teenager.
Are you me?

We're all One, grasshopper, or something.
1681345551379.gif

Alright, here's my "Inner Circle" explainer diagram. How to get into it and out to be rejected out of it. I threw it all together on my couch and no, I didn't consider all the combinations and permutations of it.

Enjoy. Or not. :)

Here is the secret sauce… and directions on how to do it. But yet another reason why I thought it was important for the past almost three decades to get to a NetworkJC, various meet and greets or even the weekend Zoom happy hour to get to know one another in person because the more intersections you're in, the more you have professional and social opportunities and can provide and receive personal and career help.

View attachment 71033
The fact that the inner circle is trademarked is impressive. The fact that Toddler is triggered makes it that much better.

Alright, here's my "Inner Circle" explainer diagram. How to get into it and out to be rejected out of it. I threw it all together on my couch and no, I didn't consider all the combinations and permutations of it.

Enjoy. Or not. :)

Here is the secret sauce… and directions on how to do it. But yet another reason why I thought it was important for the past almost three decades to get to a NetworkJC, various meet and greets or even the weekend Zoom happy hour to get to know one another in person because the more intersections you're in, the more you have professional and social opportunities and can provide and receive personal and career help.

View attachment 71033
We have very similar handwriting. It’s a little freaky every time I see it.

Forget decoder rings, can we get some new JetCareers shirts? @killbilly pointed to mine this afternoon and said "dude that shirt is like circa 2007, 2008!"

Back