Some pointers from a friend that worked WAI

We fly airplanes. We're not working for some trendy tech company in Silicon Valley. Being "well-rounded" has nothing to do with how well you fly an airplane. You know, the thing they pay us to do. In what industry does more experience make you less marketable? It's just so backwards.

Eh have you tried to do a transcon or god forbid oceanic crossing with someone who isn't well rounded...makes for a REALLY long workday...

You are right, it doesn't necessarily correlate to flying ability, but it does correlate to whether I loathe going to work or not... Just my 2c

*Disclaimer: user has no contacts (or "friends") in hiring at ANY airline.

We fly airplanes. We're not working for some trendy tech company in Silicon Valley. Being "well-rounded" has nothing to do with how well you fly an airplane. You know, the thing they pay us to do. In what industry does more experience make you less marketable? It's just so backwards.

But hey I don't own these companies. They can use whatever hiring process they want, they're writing the checks. It's pretty obvious HR has taken over for the most part and has made it into the circus we see today.

Well, they're looking for a very particular person. Without my friend seeing your application, he has no idea what's really in there or what, if anything, is holding you back. Remember, one can be Buzz Aldrin in real life, but the application may make the applicant look like Jeff Spicoli from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". He's seen this, a lot.

Apple makes operating systems, Microsoft makes operating systems. Two different companies essentially with two different corporate cultures and expectations of employees but two similar products. They're going to look for different intangible things in people they're looking to recruit and a lot of that is, well, not easy to tell through a quantitative number grid.

Again, like I've said before a number of times, my friend did not create this system. He's more than happy to forward your suggestions up the food chain where they'll be taken seriously.

There's no way to tell if someone flies well or not short of sitting on the jumpseat for a week to see how he communicates, exhibits aircraft control, meets operational challenges, etc. No one flies a Frasca for a living and it'd be idiotic to put a CRJ pilot into a 767 simulator to "see how he flies" because he's not trained. Hence, no simulator check.

Remember, everyone applying is a pilot. Everyone has cross country, some jet time, the FCC restricted radiotelephone license, yadda yadda yadda.

What are your suggestions?

Last edited:
Listen to @Derg. You might get lucky and see him during customer engagement training during new hire indoc on Virginia Ave. You is famous.

Eh have you tried to do a transcon or god forbid oceanic crossing with someone who isn't well rounded...makes for a REALLY long workday...

You are right, it doesn't necessarily correlate to flying ability, but it does correlate to whether I loathe going to work or not... Just my 2c

*Disclaimer: user has no contacts (or "friends") in hiring at ANY airline.

How does having an "elevator pitch" or being able to eloquently explain your checkride failure make you any more enjoyable to fly with? It just shows you've studied up on how they want the interview game played. That's it.

How does having an "elevator pitch" or being able to eloquently explain your checkride failure make you any more enjoyable to fly with? It just shows you've studied up on how they want the interview game played. That's it.

Because you're looking for a job in a heavily competitive field.

Being able to explain a black mark on your record shows that you take responsibility, can actively "improve" yourself and effectively communicate.

Seriously, if all this sounds unsavory, you may not be too happy at the company anyway! :)

Well, my buddy says that his company has been doing a lot to make it better that no one else is doing… yet.

Social media outreach where you can actually ask the pilot selection department direct questions.

Polling job fair attendees.

Deemphasized multiple career fair visits because they're expensive and soul-crushing. The average attendee was wrecking their schedule for a whole month and dropping $800 to $1200 just to attend.

Launching in-house events where effectively, all you have to do is get to where it's being held, you'll have transportation, something to eat and get to speak to the various divisions before your appointment and drop you off for the low low cost of $Nothing.

They know it sucks. They're listening and desperately trying to make it better.

If ya'll let them.

Go play, Mark! :)

Absolutely. In fact, my friend says they're catching a lot of heat for the changes they're making from the other recruitment groups. That's good.

Hmmmm....your friend may have missed this from 2015...

http://www3.alpa.org/portals/alpa/fastread/2015/FastRead_20150415.htm

:)

A lot of airlines are doing similar things to what @Derg friends airline is doing.

Send me a URL to their Facebook page, my friend would love to see how they handle applicant questions. Plus, what do you guys use for post-event applicant polling?

Well, my buddy says that his company has been doing a lot to make it better that no one else is doing… yet.

Social media outreach where you can actually ask the pilot selection department direct questions.

Polling job fair attendees.

Deemphasized multiple career fair visits because they're expensive and soul-crushing. The average attendee was wrecking their schedule for a whole month and dropping $800 to $1200 just to attend.

Launching in-house events where effectively, all you have to do is get to where it's being held, you'll have transportation, something to eat and get to speak to the various divisions before your appointment and drop you off for the low low cost of $Nothing.

They know it sucks. They're listening and desperately trying to make it better.

If ya'll let them.
Those are all excellent recruiting processes and a nice break from the historical norm.

My comments were more about the interesting perspective of 20/20 hindsight.

Regardless, I think Delta is doing an outstanding job of re-setting the bar on many levels. Pro-active engagement today shows a cognitive recognition of the market tomorrow.

Thank you Doug, you manage to continually ground this site from all the random threads and their drifts and get back to the core values with threads like these. I learned the meaning of "pay it forward" on this site and I thank you for it.

Back