Some pointers from a friend that worked WAI

It depends. Is the candidate a high achiever or just some dude with a fat logbook and a sense of entitlement?

My friend talks to a lot of people that have great experience but low interpersonal skills and basically can't look you in the eye when he's talking to you but keeps on staring at another female recruiters booty. #truestorybro

You said booty... Didn't know recruiters (male or female) carried pirate booty around with them... No wonder pilots flock to Delta for a job! Everyone wants pirate gold! Lol.

Here's a question on volunteering that I just randomly came up with. Not that I'm anywhere near where I'd need to be to apply to a major.
Say there's a certain country in Eastern Europe with a civil war going on. US supports the govmint of the said country and the other side is the Russian backed separatists. Then say you have a friend and ex-business partner who drives a truckload of clothes and meds and what have you (no weapons, naturally, just humanitarian stuff) to the breakaway region every month or two and you do your best to help that cause, even though on the government held side of the country that can be very easily qualified as "supporting the terrorism".
Question is - do you bring that up or shut up and go walk shelter puppies?

I wouldn't overthink it. Humanitarian aid is just that… Humanitarian aid. And it may be a really good story to help set you apart from 99% of the candidates with only a time grid, college and "Member of OBAP/WAI/NGPA".

Thanks for the tips @Derg . I'm getting close to my 1000 121 and will be finishing my 4 year degree this month. I know it'll be a while before anyone calls but I want to start early. It all seems so simple, I wonder why do guys make going to job fairs and telling their story so complicated.

Because some people "practice" telling their stories and literally will take 15 minutes to explain that, well, they walk dogs for the dog shelter. Then pull out their camera phone photos of them walking dogs, magazine articles about doing such and you've really got other questions you'd like to move onto or he said something that piqued your interest that you want clarity on.

You said booty... Didn't know recruiters (male or female) carried pirate booty around with them... No wonder pilots flock to Delta for a job! Everyone wants pirate gold! Lol.

Oh it gets worse. A few years ago, my friend said that another recruiter told him that a candidate said "Oh do you know (female name)? Yeah man, she's short, blonde and (while making the two hands over the chest motion) totally smokin' hot".

Yeah, let's just say that didn't go over real well.

Oh it gets worse. A few years ago, my friend said that another recruiter told him that a candidate said "Oh do you know (female name)? Yeah man, she's short, blonde and (while making the two hands over the chest motion) totally smokin' hot".

Yeah, let's just say that didn't go over real well.
Sometimes I think I'm socially retarded. Then I hear stories like this...

Have an "elevator pitch" ready. If it takes 15 minutes of telling your scripted life story that a recruitment firm coached you on, you're not doing it right. "Elevator" means about 3 minutes, max. Who you are, what you're after, make it "actionable" by either a followup question, something the recipient can do or embark on an action...

More later. Mild ADD and all, :)

Much appreciated, Doug. I'm heading to your mother-ship in about two weeks and all of this stuff is gold.

A little clarity. My friend says that sometimes you might be getting a cue from the coordinator that you're taking a wee bit too long with an applicant. Or he may have heard his name dropped and determining who the hell that person is (it happens). Or you might be gawking at a candidate having an argument with a recruiter (true story!).

Oh, here's a little more.

At career fairs, don't stalk out the recruiters to hand them a resume. My friend tells me that he was on the phone with his wife trying to work on a hotel problem and there was this person standing, staring about a yard away. He stopped to ask, "Can I help you?" and then he starts in on not having a fast pass and here's a resume to hand in. He told the person that he wouldn't be able to process the resume and technically, it's a little more in depth than simply handing in a resume.

Then the person started the "Well, I know Chugger from my unit and he said just to hand it to any recruiter" story where my friend told him that he had no idea who that person was and that wasn't the procedure.

"Well, can you take it?"

"I'm unable"

More talk about this guy named "Chugger" and how he missed his flight and lost his fast pass (My friend thought he didn't have one?) and how the whole system is unfair.

My friend told him that he wasn't able to take a resume, forgo the job fair interview and give it to his boss and say, "Some dude handed me this in the parking lot, so umm, HERE, process this".

I heard the name, but I assumed it was a fictitious character in a CQ video.

Maybe he exists, I don't know. I certainly don't know who he is but he certainly doesn't have overriding authority to subvert the process.

A little clarity. My friend says that sometimes you might be getting a cue from the coordinator that you're taking a wee bit too long with an applicant. Or he may have heard his name dropped and determining who the hell that person is (it happens). Or you might be gawking at a candidate having an argument with a recruiter (true story!).

Follow up: do additional job fairs (upcoming obap for instance) make an added difference or is it the case that once your resume is processed that's pretty much it for 12 months?

Not to answer for Derg, but it's been said many times on the official Facebook group and I think they've been pretty clear that the job fair avenue is a great way to get noticed... once every 12 months. "It's unlikely an applicant has really changed that much in such a short time period", essentially.

Sourced: https://www.facebook.com/deltapilot...1828.934287680018222/1219910924789228/?type=3
"Remember, if you've met with our recruitment team in the last 12 months, you're already in our system so please enjoy the WAI festivities!"

So, what you're saying is be a respectful human being?

Is that really the bar in terms of standards that make a "strong" candidate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linear aviation work history, four year degree from an accredited university hopefully in a semi-challenging program, "brick and mortar" undergrad preferred, decent gpa preferred (2.0 from Dartmouth in engineering is far more desirable than a 4.0 from DeVry in basket weaving) . Minimal history of training failures, ten years free of DUIs, no felonies. If there are some 'challenges' in his history, does he take responsibility and did he grow/learn from it? Does a little more than just fly airplanes at work like check airman, chief pilot, union volunteer, SOMETHING other than "I just fly jets", acts like he understands something about customer service (volunteerism? Something altruistic?). Confident, looks you in the eye when he's talking to you. Not hugely socially awkward. Someone who is going to represent the brand impeccably.

Everyone's got flight time. Everyone's got turbine.

Just some various thoughts my friend threw at me. Don't shoot the messenger.

Not to answer for Derg, but it's been said many times on the official Facebook group and I think they've been pretty clear that the job fair avenue is a great way to get noticed... once every 12 months. "It's unlikely an applicant has really changed that much in such a short time period", essentially.

Sourced: https://www.facebook.com/deltapilot...1828.934287680018222/1219910924789228/?type=3
"Remember, if you've met with our recruitment team in the last 12 months, you're already in our system so please enjoy the WAI festivities!"

Good to know and thanks.

Follow up: do additional job fairs (upcoming obap for instance) make an added difference or is it the case that once your resume is processed that's pretty much it for 12 months?

Depends on the airline.

Back