Some pointers from a friend that worked WAI

Remember what I literally just said about why you can only tell pilots so much about the process? ... Let's please not have a 10 page discussion of the merits of various college degrees and online vs brick and mortar or completing it in 4 years etc etc. That horse has been beat so dead on this forum already. He just said preferred. I finished my BS online, as I assume you did also... Relax. We could still be tier 1... considering everything else in our backgrounds. *gasp*

preferred

The challenging part with online degrees are the number of specious joints that are basically diploma mills. Some are good, some are, well, less than good.

Choose wisely.

Last edited:
5 years or less is preferred, but again, it's part of your story.

If you took 6 because you were a single father or had some other "cool story bro" stories, it's a positive.

5 years or less is preferred, but again, it's part of your story.

If you took 6 because you were a single father or had some other "cool story bro" stories, it's a positive.
10 years, BS, nothing of interest, met a girl, built hours, got a 121 job, had kids, slowed the roll on the degree because he ended up having a basketball team. Finished his degree with a plethora of kids, family issues as well, upgrade training, never failed a checkride. But it took 10 years to get a degree? Desirable? He has a good (good as in genuine, not good as in "blowing your mind" good) story.

EDIT: not baiting. Serious question. This thread is full of win, as they all are. You try to give the peek over the wall, and people bombard YOU with how stupid the process is.

10 years, BS, nothing of interest, met a girl, built hours, got a 121 job, had kids, slowed the roll on the degree because he ended up having a basketball team. Finished his degree with a plethora of kids, family issues as well, upgrade training, never failed a checkride. But it took 10 years to get a degree? Desirable? He has a good (good as in genuine, not good as in "blowing your mind" good) story.

Spoiler Alert: What your friend says is holding him back, probably isn't what's holding him back IF he's being held back at all. There isn't a recruiter on earth that's going to say "This guy is a perfect mélange of 1960's Neil Armstrong and bachelor-era George Clooney but ooooooooooh, that time he spent to finish that degree".

EDIT: not baiting. Serious question. This thread is full of win, as they all are. You try to give the peek over the wall, and people bombard YOU with how stupid the process is.

It's all voluntary. No one else is talking! :)

I wonder how many people that hate the process today, after their number gets called will look back and say "yeah, that makes a lot of sense". And I guess the corollary to that wil beg the question is it based on relief, introspection, or look-back analysis.

Some bring cake.

Others can bring cake by the ocean. Ah ya ya ya ya

images-1.jpeg

I absolutely LOATHE that song. STill better than anything by The Chainsmokers, the Nickelback of electropop.

I wonder how many people that hate the process today, after their number gets called will look back and say "yeah, that makes a lot of sense". And I guess the corollary to that wil beg the question is it based on relief, introspection, or look-back analysis.

Well, my buddy says that his company has been doing a lot to make it better that no one else is doing… yet.

Social media outreach where you can actually ask the pilot selection department direct questions.

Polling job fair attendees.

Deemphasized multiple career fair visits because they're expensive and soul-crushing. The average attendee was wrecking their schedule for a whole month and dropping $800 to $1200 just to attend.

Launching in-house events where effectively, all you have to do is get to where it's being held, you'll have transportation, something to eat and get to speak to the various divisions before your appointment and drop you off for the low low cost of $Nothing.

They know it sucks. They're listening and desperately trying to make it better.

If ya'll let them.

What an idiotic process.

What are your ideas? I can get them to my friend and trust me, they're listening to input.

I think the post office sucks, but you know, FedEx isn't going to mail my mom a letter a state away for less than a buck, but I don't have any ideas on how to improve.

What are your ideas? I can get them to my friend and trust me, they're listening to input.

I think the post office sucks, but you know, FedEx isn't going to mail my mom a letter a state away for less than a buck, but I don't have any ideas on how to improve.
Drive it yourself? Then you can deliver it AND see your mom. Or read the letter over the phone. Save a stamp.

I get what you're saying. Just being facetious.

We fly airplanes. We're not working for some trendy tech company in Silicon Valley. Being "well-rounded" has nothing to do with how well you fly an airplane. You know, the thing they pay us to do. In what industry does more experience make you less marketable? It's just so backwards.

But hey I don't own these companies. They can use whatever hiring process they want, they're writing the checks. It's pretty obvious HR has taken over for the most part and has made it into the circus we see today.

Back