Some pointers from a friend that worked WAI

Am I inferring between the lines here correctly; not going to a open house or job fair is putting you at a significant disadvantage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I inferring between the lines here correctly; not going to a open house or job fair is putting you at a significant disadvantage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Significant? Not at all.

They're helpful for strong candidates. Less helpful for not-so-strong candidates.

What's a "strong candidate"? That's the million-dollar question, unfortunately. But it's certainly not a numbers game.

Gotcha. I was thinking/hoping it was the other way.

Someone with a less than perfect app, ie checkride failure etc, could even out the playing field.

Those with a solid background and app wouldn't really need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha. I was thinking/hoping it was the other way.

Someone with a less than perfect app, ie checkride failure etc, could even out the playing field.

Those with a solid background and app wouldn't really need.

"Kinda".

Strong background and easy to read app that tells your story, there is a benefit to attending. How large of a benefit I really don't know. My friend runs into people he talked to at career fairs and relatively shortly (not immediately of course) thereafter were given interview dates. In fact a guy that my friend interviewed at last years WAI was on his jet home and just got off probie.

Spotty background, ran into a school bus that exploded and you got caught with a naked Narwahl when you were drunk. Not at all.

"Kinda".

Strong background and easy to read app that tells your story, there is a benefit to attending. How large of a benefit I really don't know. My friend runs into people he talked to at career fairs and relatively shortly (not immediately of course) thereafter were given interview dates. In fact a guy that my friend interviewed at last years WAI was on his jet home and just got off probie.

Spotty background, ran into a school bus that exploded and you got caught with a naked Narwahl when you were drunk. Not at all.

This is clearly a trick question; Narwahl's don't wear clothes.

See: Octonauts character Boris.

maxresdefault.jpg

For an example of a character on Octonauts that is a polar bear AND wears clothes, see, Barnacles.

oct_barnacles_happyfront_-copy-icons.jpg

Since I'm clearly detail oriented and spend my time volunteering taking care of children, I'd like to know when my class date is.

I would REALLY like to see two things:

1)Is my application really in the system? I've heard of apps becoming lost in the electronic ether. True or not, I have no idea. But it sure would be nice to see something indicating Delta has it.

2)Some feedback for the internal scoring/ranking (whatever you call it) when an applicant has their stuff submitted internally to HR by a Delta pilot. Having gone through this last summer, I never heard a thing. Again, my paranoia has me wondering if anybody actually even saw it?

Not hearing a single thing ("fix-it" email or otherwise) after having a continuously updated app on file for a few years is very frustrating.

From the President of AirlineApps a few moments ago:

Doug,

There is feedback in that the system sends a thank you for applying email from each airline, once published. Also, the landing page when you login shows the following:

Published: Yes

We are about to roll out an improved targeting page that will indicate this better.

If there is a fast pass system, don't try to bribe the volunteer with money in exchange for access to an area you need a pass for.

So what your saying is not only can I get volunteer time but also lunch money

From the President of AirlineApps a few moments ago:

Doug,

There is feedback in that the system sends a thank you for applying email from each airline, once published. Also, the landing page when you login shows the following:

Published: Yes

We are about to roll out an improved targeting page that will indicate this better.

Thanks for the follow up Doug.

Have an "elevator pitch" ready. If it takes 15 minutes of telling your scripted life story that a recruitment firm coached you on, you're not doing it right. "Elevator" means about 3 minutes, max. Who you are, what you're after, make it "actionable" by either a followup question, something the recipient can do or embark on an action.

You're going to be asked about "negatives". Most people have them but it's a chance for the person you're talking to to validate your answers and build a little "fast trust". You failed a checkride, big flipping deal, who hasn't, but it's not necessary to freak out and act like the world just ended because you have to explain how you busted your CFI when a vast majority do. It's always "Cool, what did you learn and how did you move forward". It's not an admission of a 'black mark', it's really more of a method to enable the applicant to tell his story.

On that note, regardless of if it's your fault or not, own it, accept your role in it and talk about what you learned and how you moved forward.

If there is a fast pass system, don't try to bribe the volunteer with money in exchange for access to an area you need a pass for.

Desperation does not equal motivation, determination or ambition, it's desperation. Let someone finishing peeing (or pooping), let them wash their hands and wait for a less awkward opportunity.

Please do your homework. Remember, your resume is nothing more than a brochure, your performance is your cover letter, but the "legalese" is in your application. "Why haven't you called me?" when a recruiter hasn't seen your application is going to be met with a less than satisfying answer.

You can be Buzz Aldrin in real life, but if your application (always taking the most literal interpretation of the question being asked) makes you read like you're a drunken sailor sending a late night text on shore leave, you're going to have less than optimal satisfaction with your experience.

And, after all, please don't lie. My friend got really good at reading non-verbal communication because of the sheer amount of people he speaks to on an average day and he's got to decide whether (a) you're not being genuine with your answer (b) not reading you correctly or hopefully (c) needs to spend more time with you to develop a 'fast trust' with you so you give him the information he's looking for. We all want to put our best foot forward, but sometimes straight up honesty followed immediately by owning up and the corrective action taken afterward is the best policy.

For example:

Q: "Have you failed any checkrides"

A: "Well, one day I was taking my ATP checkride and the weather was really squirrely, blah blah blah"

versus

A: "Yes. I have. My ATP checkride"

Followup Q: "Tell me about it" (The question isn't supposed to serve as a "tell me how you screwed up" it's really more of a 'Yay, I get an opportunity to let an applicant tell me his story' AKA 'shake the snowglobe)

A: A SHORT synopsis, my corrective response, my lesson.

It may not specifically be your fault, but always own up to it, accept your role/responsibility and you've always learned something that has helped you with your present level of success.

More later. Mild ADD and all, :)
;) I've always found the following as a decent object lesson in what to avoid in an elevator speech exchange... but the applicant does get a sort of "next step" question, so who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

Frank Costello
: Have a seat, Bill.

[Costigan sits down at Costello's dinner table]

Frank Costello: [while eating crab] Do you know John Lennon?

Billy Costigan: Yeah, sure, he was the president before Lincoln.

Frank Costello: Lennon said, "I'm an artist. You give me a fahking tuba, I'll get you something out of it."

Billy Costigan: [sarcastically] Well I tell you Mr. Costello, I'd like to squeeze some fahking money out of it.

Frank Costello: Smart mouth. Too bad. If you'll indulge me...

[sees Gwen leaving]

Frank Costello: Now what?

Gwen: Choir practice.

Frank Costello: [annoyed] Choir practice.

[Costello pulls out a severed human hand]

Frank Costello: The point I'm making with John Lennon is - a man could look at anything, and make something out of it. For instance, I look at you and I think "what could I use you for?"

Back