Some Delta Application Pointers

I never got a TBNT after an interview. Every interview I've gotten in my life, I passed/hired. I don't have salt on any employer. I just think the whole situation is funny with hiring these days. If I interviewed with [insert any carrier] and they didn't hire me, I don't think I'd throw salt at them for that reason. It's a waste of time, time that could be spend learning from the mistake(s) made in the interview to get ready for your NEXT interview which will help you escape the regional you're at.

That’s definitely the macro view of the situation. Don’t know if that will necessarily help targeting specific companies.

As everything, the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle.

No one targets only one specific company if they are at a regional. If they are, they're probably lying. Lets be honest there's not much difference between the legacy jobs. There are different cultures but who cares, I truly believe anyone who is *driven* will adopt to whatever culture he ends up at in the new company. Any guy at a regional who tells you he only has an app at Delta (or only at AA or only at UA) is probably lying or got a really good suga mama and doesn't need to worry about money if his regional tanks some day. Most people would be happy as a clam to get a job at ANY big 3. Or at Fdx/UPS and SW/AS. Any legacy airline would make one happy and glad to get out of their regional.

"Why Delta" or "Why United" or "Why AA"

If you are a guy at GoJets or Mesa or etc, you're gonna give your answer. The interviewer has most likely heard your answer before or some variation of it. Most of the pilots giving an answer have been coached (and some over coached, which hurts them) and parrot their answer out. Then you wonder why some guys don't get hired after, GASP!, spending $400+ dollars for an interview prep.

Despite what some of ya'll have claimed above, airline recruiter/pilot/HR *absolutely* told you what to do to improve your chances. It was always the same variation of "go upgrade." If already a Captain, "go be a checkairman." Once a Ckairmen, "keep doing what you are doing." Occasionally the "maybe participate in a flight ops role, like FOQA, safety." Problem is, when you tell applicants here is the step(s) needed and you go back after those steps, you're stringing them along. Pilots are checklist oriented. When you give them a laundry list of things to do, they will go do it. Then those guys don't get called and start complaining on APC.

I'll give you another example. United last year in September had a job fair. Unlike Delta (which was a fastest fingers game), United specifically called out those whose applications in airline apps scored the highest. Top 300 civvies called out, 300 military, and then another day for internal/family. Now once you met those 300, barring those who made a bad impression in person or those who tanked themselves that day, why not send the successful/good ones a Hogan/interview email? I mean, you already screened them to be the top applicants to see in person. That creates salt on the applicants who did attend (just FYI, I never attended). And I think their frustrations are fair. This wasn't a random job fair. It target specifically the highest qualified apps in their pile and called out the top of the pile. Now if they tanked themselves in the job fair one-on-one, then that's fine and understandable. But all the guys beotching on APC after having gone to that fair in that thread, I think their points are valid and frustrations understandable.

If ya don't want to believe that I'm staying put where I am, then believe what you'd like. To all the people still stuck at a regional looking to get out, you will get out one day (just based on sheer retirements). And when you do, you too can look back and chcukle at some of the hiring practices and what you had to go through. mikecweb implied it, it's a game and you have to actively play at it. It took him 15 yrs to get to his current gig. Now you can look back, laugh at and like what you had to go through (or hate for what you had to go through) and enjoy where you are now for the next umptieth years.

They know what they're doing with that answer. They can't tell you to pursue one avenue of flying or another. Imagine if the big three added a face or neck tattoo to their minimums, then you'd have 100,000 pilots lined up out there to get some ink because that is what they need to get to their dream job.

What if they said you needed either option (regional PIC or widebody freight), then you made a life decision to follow their guidance..... and still never get hired. Guess who will be pissed off at that airline since they never hired them? I've met plenty of people that have a 737 type and never made it to SWA, want to guess what their attitude is about Southwest?

See above. At job fairs they were absolutely giving the advice of "what to do" and many followed that and still never got an interview. Now they're pissed, just browse the APC hiring threads.

Last edited:
I never got a TBNT after an interview. Every interview I've gotten in my life, I passed/hired. I don't have salt on any employer. I just think the whole situation is funny with hiring these days. If I interviewed with [insert any carrier] and they didn't hire me, I don't think I'd throw salt at them for that reason. It's a waste of time, time that could be spend learning from the mistake(s) made in the interview to get ready for your NEXT interview which will help you escape the regional you're at.

No one targets only one specific company if they are at a regional. If they are, they're probably lying. Lets be honest there's not much difference between the legacy jobs. There are different cultures but who cares, I truly believe anyone who is *driven* will adopt to whatever culture he ends up at in the new company. Any guy at a regional who tells you he only has an app at Delta (or only at AA or only at UA) is probably lying or got a really good suga mama and doesn't need to worry about money if his regional tanks some day. Most people would be happy as a clam to get a job at ANY big 3. Or at Fdx/UPS and SW/AS. Any legacy airline would make one happy and glad to get out of their regional.

"Why Delta" or "Why United" or "Why AA"

If you are a guy at GoJets or Mesa or etc, you're gonna give your answer. The interviewer has most likely heard your answer before or some variation of it. Most of the pilots giving an answer have been coached (and some over coached, which hurts them) and parrot their answer out. Then you wonder why some guys don't get hired after, GASP!, spending $400+ dollars for an interview prep.

Despite what some of ya'll have claimed above, airline recruiter/pilot/HR *absolutely* told you what to do to improve your chances. It was always the same variation of "go upgrade." If already a Captain, "go be a checkairman." Once a Ckairmen, "keep doing what you are doing." Occasionally the "maybe participate in a flight ops role, like FOQA, safety." Problem is, when you tell applicants here is the step(s) needed and you go back after those steps, you're stringing them along. Pilots are checklist oriented. When you give them a laundry list of things to do, they will go do it. Then those guys don't get called and start complaining on APC.

I'll give you another example. United last year in September had a job fair. Unlike Delta (which was a fastest fingers game), United specifically called out those whose applications in airline apps scored the highest. Top 300 civvies called out, 300 military, and then another day for internal/family. Now once you met those 300, barring those who made a bad impression in person or those who tanked themselves that day, why not send the successful/good ones a Hogan/interview email? I mean, you already screened them to be the top applicants to see in person. That creates salt on the applicants who did attend (just FYI, I never attended). And I think their frustrations are fair. This wasn't a random job fair. It target specifically the highest qualified apps in their pile and called out the top of the pile. Now if they tanked themselves in the job fair one-on-one, then that's fine and understandable. But all the guys beotching on APC after having gone to that fair in that thread, I think their points are valid and frustrations understandable.

If ya don't want to believe that I'm staying put where I am, then believe what you'd like. To all the people still stuck at a regional looking to get out, you will get out one day (just based on sheer retirements). And when you do, you too can look back and chcukle at some of the hiring practices and what you had to go through. mikecweb implied it, it's a game and you have to actively play at it. It took him 15 yrs to get to his current gig. Now you can look back, laugh at and like what you had to go through (or hate for what you had to go through) and enjoy where you are now for the next umptieth years.

See above. At job fairs they were absolutely giving the advice of "what to do" and many followed that and still never got an interview. Now they're pissed, just browse the APC hiring threads.
What’s the secret sauce? And how much are you charging for it?

If I just gave you a hug and told you “You’re a valuable person, who ever you fly for” could we perhaps, I don’t know, focus on getting information to those that are actively seeking it?

Come here. Come on. Bring it in, bring it in. Make it weird now. There there. “You are a valuable person, no matter who you fly for”. Better? :)

If I just gave you a hug and told you “You’re a valuable person, who ever you fly for” could we perhaps, I don’t know, focus on getting information to those that are actively seeking it?

Come here. Come on. Bring it in, bring it in. Make it weird now. There there. “You are a valuable person, no matter who you fly for”. Better? :)
We never hug anymore.

Next month my app payment is due and I ain’t paying. I don’t know what happens but I assume lack of payment makes the app go poof.

Naaawww we all know what you're gonna do...

tenor.gif

What can I do to one day become a Delta Captain?

Not sure, but you must do more than sitting left seat on a plane that says Delta “connection” on the side carrying passengers that bought a ticket on a Delta website thinking they’re on a Delta flight.

What can I do to ensure my Delta Application gets reviewed?

Well when one of our planes break, and our only option is to throw your 175 on the route, just ask that MadDog captain for a letter of recommendation as you pass each other. Then while you fly that route for a third of their pay, maybe think about serving some hot soup to the poor.

Sorry... that was uncalled for ;)

Last edited:
I would trade jammies to be at a great organization with a product I believe in... absolutely!

I may never work at Delta, we shall see, but I do believe that Delta is a great company. Their product is easily the best; after having ridden in the cabin of most U.S. operating airlines, perhaps only JetBlue tops their cabin service. I think that many of the folks who are irked by Delta probably know that they will never work there, or have been denied employment. No need to be sour about it, other companies are hiring which furnish great pay and outstanding QOL. Such is life.

Last edited:
"the product" argument is nothing more than sounding suck up to a company in order of hopes to work there. Save that for the interviewer, not for your daily colleagues. Products come and go. 9/11 or 2008 happen, and the cabin product starts to suck. The economy picks up again in the good times, the airlines invest in their onboard product. You're a pilot, go look at the contract, bases, flying type, pay, QOL. "A product you believe in" will change in a heartbeat in the future if the economy/financials dictate. Look at Spirit, they went from being an absolute crap product to now soon offering wifi fleet wide with improved customer service in general. Or look at Virgin, arguably the best domestic product when it came out in 2007 and today it doesn't exist.

Back