So what's the big rush? (DALPA)

Why not rush? Like ATN said before, why do pilots want to fight for years over pennies while stepping over dollars on the way?

The upbeat tone of the update makes it sound like a very promising contract. Cant wait to hear about it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

or it could just be as simple as Richard Anderson being smart enough to realize that if UAL/CAL gets their CBA done first, then he's probably going to end up paying more money.

I see this being the least likely of any of the reasons you mentioned. I don't see the UAL/CAL CBA getting done quickly nor do I see it being very lucrative. In fact, I see their CBA as being a liability to our negotiations.

Why not rush? Like ATN said before, why do pilots want to fight for years over pennies while stepping over dollars on the way?

The upbeat tone of the update makes it sound like a very promising contract. Cant wait to hear about it

Getting a deal done for the sake of getting it done is a bad negotiating tactic. Dragging the process out like USAirways or AMR isn't good but we're not talking about that. We're talking about record paced negotiations. That could mean good things but you have to ask yourself why the company absolutely has to get this done so quickly. ALPA needs to be saying, we don't really need to rush but if you insist then there is a premium that you must pay. They very well may be saying just that and I hope that is the case but there's no way to tell so I will wait and see then vote accordingly. But I'm not voting yes just to get the deal done. The reason I see red flags all over the place is that we're talking RJ block hours not numbers of aircraft. We're talking about getting a deal done to capture an opportunity. An opportunity for who? An opportunity to place a few more 76 seaters into LGA after you tell me to write my Congressional representatives?

If you had read all the propaganda we've been receiving from DALPA over the last year about what airline X and Z have in their contract for pay and work rules compared to what we already have, you would be concerned about the union's motivation too. It's funny, it seems DALPA has been running the company's "see how good you guys have it!" campaign for them. The company of course has been extremely quiet because well they don't have to say a word! But DALPA ends every letter with "The negotiating committee has heard you loud and clear!" so that makes it ok right? Well they better have heard us or they are more out of touch than I thought. DALPA says Carpe Diem!!! I say you first DALPA.

I wonder what is going to happen with the freighter and combi. If they get rid of those it will leave a major hole in our freight market up here. I know NAC has another 732 sitting on their ramp waiting for the cargo conversion, Everts is getting DC-9s, and Lyndens Hercs are busy in PNG.
All the -400s, which includes the straight pax, combi, and freighter, are scheduled for retirement. From what I've heard and seen it doesn't appear there is a real replacement plan for them. Rumors have been of -700 combis or horizon doing pax to anywhere other than ANC/FAI and perhaps JNU, with just a couple -700 freighters. Prospects don't look good in my eyes... Would sure hate to see the namesake of the company go away.

Getting a deal done for the sake of getting it done is a bad negotiating tactic. Dragging the process out like USAirways or AMR isn't good but we're not talking about that. We're talking about record paced negotiations. That could mean good things but you have to ask yourself why the company absolutely has to get this done so quickly. ALPA needs to be saying, we don't really need to rush but if you insist then there is a premium that you must pay. They very well may be saying just that and I hope that is the case but there's no way to tell so I will wait and see then vote accordingly. But I'm not voting yes just to get the deal done. The reason I see red flags all over the place is that we're talking RJ block hours not numbers of aircraft. We're talking about getting a deal done to capture an opportunity. An opportunity for who? An opportunity to place a few more 76 seaters into LGA after you tell me to write my Congressional representatives?

If you had read all the propaganda we've been receiving from DALPA over the last year about what airline X and Z have in their contract for pay and work rules compared to what we already have, you would be concerned about the union's motivation too. It's funny, it seems DALPA has been running the company's "see how good you guys have it!" campaign for them. The company of course has been extremely quiet because well they don't have to say a word! But DALPA ends every letter with "The negotiating committee has heard you loud and clear!" so that makes it ok right? Well they better have heard us or they are more out of touch than I thought. DALPA says Carpe Diem!!! I say you first DALPA.

If the company is rushing to finish a contract you've already won. Whoever is in a rush always loses. Standard art of war stuff

Why? Because the "devil is in the details".

Last time we "rushed", we were promised "unprecedented growth" and massive raises because we're all getting pay increases and upgrades.

If the company is rushing to finish a contract you've already won. Whoever is in a rush always loses. Standard art of war stuff

The concept you are exemplifying is how scope was degraded.

"Come on guys, sign right here! The company wants to hand us PHAT CASH and all we have to do is give away those stupid 50 seaters from Brazil that nobody wants to fly anyway. I mean come on, you guys want to stack the ched and not fly those stupid little planes, right, right!?"

hey Derg, I replied to your message, thanks! I am really hopeful delta can get as many 717's and md 90's and any other plane for that matter even if it is at the expense of what i fly right now, the 200. Short term sacrifice for long term industry gain.
Why? Because the "devil is in the details".

Last time we "rushed", we were promised "unprecedented growth" and massive raises because we're all getting pay increases and upgrades.

I see this being the least likely of any of the reasons you mentioned. I don't see the UAL/CAL CBA getting done quickly nor do I see it being very lucrative. In fact, I see their CBA as being a liability to our negotiations.

I disagree. Recent indications are that the company wants to move more quickly at UAL. And as far as their new CBA (whenever it's done) being a liability, that's very unlikely. Neither pilot group or MEC is willing to sign a subpar CBA. The CAL pilots are scope hawks, and the UAL pilots are work rules hawks. And both of them are serious about pay rate improvements. The odds of a substandard TA being approved there are practically nonexistent. Management is going to have to pony up some big improvements, and recent developments indicate that they may be reaching that point finally.

Reactions: Cav

Actually, ATN is close to the truth. If Anderson can get our contract finished first, he can put economic pressure on both UAL and AA.

First, UAL now has to negotiate DAL+1, which they may not be able to afford. This ties them up in negotiations for more years and weakens rhem as a competitor.

As for AA, it crushes their argument that they have to cut employee costs. Hard to argue that you have to cut payroll when your biggest competitor just signs a big payraise. Again, ties up another competitor for years.

Delta is at least two years ahead of UAL and AA strategically. By messing up their economics, we can gain more of an advantage on them. Anderson knows though, that in order for it to work, he is going to have to up the pay. The question is, are they going to try to up the scope?

They also want labor peace prior to the Hawaiian merger. You heard it right. Hawaiian. They are first. Then Alaska, if anyone trys to buy them. Forget Jetblue. Regardless of what anyone says, their terminal is wrong for Delta. Cannot get WBs into the gates, and no customs. Plus, we would have to dismantle too much of what we already have to satisfy DOT.

Or not. Maybe to donut holers are right and we're all in for a good BOHICA. But keep in mind that everything Anderson and Co have done in the last few years has never been done in this industry before, (at least how they do it,) so why shouldn't negotiating a contract be part of it?

I think the refinery isn't so much the smartest idea, but the contract for exchanging everything but jet fuel out to BP and Philips in exchange for their jet fuel. The article said that they'll be able to cover 80% of their domestic fuel needs with this. That's amazing.

"Uhh il take $20 on gate A20, a pack of Reds and an easy pick...."

This is definitely a new idea. Hope it works out.

I don't know much about anything, but I doubt it's a merger because wouldn't a merger involve having to come to an agreement on ANOTHER joint contract?

It wasn't a 'joint contract' in the first place as the former NWA guys had very little say...

Back