So what's the big rush? (DALPA)

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Just over six weeks ago, the MEC Negotiating Committee and Delta management met to exchange contract openers. Since then, the negotiating teams for both parties have been meeting almost daily, frequently for hours on end, a pace that one would normally not expect to see until the late stages of negotiations, typically months or even years[/FONT]after a contract’s amendable date. Much work remains, but the progress to date has been significant thanks in large part to both parties’ commitments to reach a comprehensive agreement. Your union has dedicated every necessary resource to these negotiations, and the Company has demonstrated a commensurate dedication to the process; decision makers have been at the table from the outset.[/FONT][/SIZE]

In short, while there are no guarantees, if negotiations continue as they have to date, there is reason to believe that we could reach a tentative agreement with Delta management within a matter of weeks, well over half a yearbefore our contract’s amendable date. If we are able to reach a comprehensive agreement on this timeline, it would be unprecedented, not only at Delta, but within the industry.
So how is this possible? The short story is that if we are able to reach a near-term comprehensive agreement, it will be due to an unusual confluence of preparation, commitment and opportunity.

We have all witnessed and in many cases experienced first-hand the often glacial pace of negotiations under the Railway Labor Act. In recent years, we have watched as other pilot groups have been mired in protracted negotiations, while any eventual gains fall victim to or are tempered by losses associated with the time-value of money. In my March 9 Chairman’s Letter, I wrote that contract negotiations can and often do take months and even years to complete, during which time an increased probability exists that external strategic and economic events can have an unanticipated impact on those negotiations. That is a primary reason why your MEC decided to capitalize on opportunity by seeking a comprehensive agreement on an expedited timeline.

Delta management has often led the industry over the last few years with strategic moves that continue to capture market share. A number of airline analysts believe that Delta has a several year strategic lead over its competitors. Important components of maintaining that momentum going forward will include, among other things, the refinement of Delta’s long-term business plan and the rationalization of Delta’s fleet. Therein lies the opportunity. In any negotiation, both parties typically have wants and needs. The Delta pilots have clearly expressed through the contract survey, and through contact with their local reps, the issues that we need to have addressed during these

April 27, 2012

Section 6 negotiations. Likewise, management also has issues they’d like to address. Your MEC believes that by addressing each other’s issues and seeking mutually beneficial solutions in a rational manner, we will not only return immediate and ongoing value to the Delta pilot group, but also forge a path to significantly increase mainline flying through an increase in pilot block hours—and importantly, the ratio of pilot mainline to non-mainline block hours. We believe this approach is consistent with Delta’s long-term fleet plan and is in the best interests of the Delta pilots and Delta Air Lines.

Pilot mainline block hours, perhaps more than any other metric, are a direct measure of Delta pilot jobs. While neither the MEC nor I are at liberty to discuss the many detailed moving parts of the current negotiations at this point, I will say this: The time to capitalize on opportunity is now, but that opportunity is also fleeting. If we are notable to reach an agreement in the near-term, we will likely revert to negotiations along a more traditional Section 6 timeline. Your MEC is prepared for either timeline and will not compromise the product for the sake of expediency, but let me be perfectly clear. I believe the best outcome for the Delta pilots and Delta will result from continued efforts to reach an expedited agreement within the next several weeks. If we are able to reach a tentative agreement in the near-term and the MEC ratifies that agreement, it will only be because your elected representatives:

• Believe it is the right agreement at the right time, and
  • Do not believe that proceeding down the traditional Section 6 timeline will result in a contract
    that provides greater value to the Delta pilots

I will offer the following observation. I have been with Delta for 22 years this month. In that time, I have served as a local council first officer representative, Strategic Planning Committee chairman, Negotiating Committee chairman, and now as MEC chairman. In all that time, I can say without any equivocation that the negotiations currently underway are unlike any I have experienced. If we are able to reach a comprehensive tentative agreement and it is ratified by the MEC, you will be provided with extensive information in the form of contract language, Negotiators’ Notepads and road shows throughout the system. The Delta Pilot Network will also be staffed to answer any questions you might have. Once you have had time to become fully familiar with the agreement, it will be sent to you for membership ratification.

Your expanded negotiating team will meet at an increasingly aggressive pace with Delta management in the coming weeks. You can expect to receive a Negotiators’ Notepad late next week, which will provide you the viewpoint from those actually at the table, and I look forward to the possibility that in my next Chairman’s Letter, I am able to report that we have successfully concluded negotiations.

"Hurry hurry folks! This is a special, one of a kind offer! Don't miss your chance, you must act NOW NOW NOW!!!!"

Generally, offers that demand "acting now!!!" are not the best offers, and are mired in shady-ness...

Yeah... that's a little bit troublesome. Not that getting a good deal quickly isn't a big benefit to the pilot group but it takes some really special circumstances for a Company to play ball that way.

Then again, we are currently approaching 3+ years of an old contract here, so what do I know.

Like many say, it seems like they get what they need with the codeshare from Alaska.

If that codeshare somehow became jeopardized though, I'd think they'd almost have to try to buy them. Alaska is now codesharing with more than just AA; Emirates is now on the list. So DL has a codeshare with an airline that also has a codeshare with a major competitor. Who knows.

Other people theorize about Hawaiian. Personally I am not sure what that would do other than get a couple more slots into HND, albeit at inconvenient hours just like the two flights that are operating again as of two days ago.

A vendor with flow eligible pilots also appears to be gearing up for movement in a more obvious way than the last time DL hired.

717s? A319s? jetBlue?

Something seems to be in the works.

Judging from what I've heard through the grapevine, and a family friend who's in Delta's management team...Alaska will be Delta's "FWB", until someone else tries to swoop in. While it's good for Alaska Air Group and my current employer, I see it as more harmful to the airline that I've grown up wanting to fly for. I DO NOT want to see Alaska/Horizon grow if it comes to Delta shrinking...no way, no how, un-uh. DL can sell up to 40% of available seats on Alaska/Horizon codeshare flights...that's a pretty high number for me.

Lots of things happening right now that raise red flags for me:
- Alaska/Horizon moving to T6 in LAX, connected walk-way to T5 with DL.
- Delta growing SEA internationally (Shanghai is reportedly in the works, with the 76Er)...SEA is one of DL's "4 Corners" for International Gateways (SEA, LAX, NYC, ATL)
- Horizon in the State of Alaska (Delta CPA's the flying to Horizon that has the required equipment for those routes, drops the routes that require special crew certifications/quals and keeps routes like SEA-ANC/FAI/other "trunk" routes).
- Alaska adding routes that have international feed for DL into SEA.

Judging from what I've heard through the grapevine, and a family friend who's in Delta's management team...Alaska will be Delta's "FWB", until someone else tries to swoop in. While it's good for Alaska Air Group and my current employer, I see it as more harmful to the airline that I've grown up wanting to fly for. I DO NOT want to see Alaska/Horizon grow if it comes to Delta shrinking...no way, no how, un-uh. DL can sell up to 40% of available seats on Alaska/Horizon codeshare flights...that's a pretty high number for me.

Lots of things happening right now that raise red flags for me:
- Alaska/Horizon moving to T6 in LAX, connected walk-way to T5 with DL.
- Delta growing SEA internationally (Shanghai is reportedly in the works, with the 76Er)...SEA is one of DL's "4 Corners" for International Gateways (SEA, LAX, NYC, ATL)
- Horizon in the State of Alaska (Delta CPA's the flying to Horizon that has the required equipment for those routes, drops the routes that require special crew certifications/quals and keeps routes like SEA-ANC/FAI/other "trunk" routes).
- Alaska adding routes that have international feed for DL into SEA.
I wonder what is going to happen with the freighter and combi. If they get rid of those it will leave a major hole in our freight market up here. I know NAC has another 732 sitting on their ramp waiting for the cargo conversion, Everts is getting DC-9s, and Lyndens Hercs are busy in PNG.

Everytime I read a DALPA letter regarding negotiations I wonder whose interests they are trying to facilitate...mine or the company's strategic vision. I was worried going into negotiations because every communication was aimed at managing pilot expectations and disguised as an "educate the pilot group" infomercial. Any further degradation of scope, both RJ scope and code share scope, is an automatic no vote for me. Furthermore, surely DALPA knows they are toast if this contract fails to meet the pilot group's expectation, right?

Why do I get the feeling we're going to get a modest pay bump and some scope changes that make me very uneasy with DALPA and the company saying in unison, "if you guys just trust us and sign it quickly, good things will happen."

Oh, and I think this has nothing to do with Alaska. There's something else going on.

Do you guys think that these expedited negotiations have anything to do with pinnacles bankruptcy and possibly they want to replace a lot of pinnacles 200s with larger regional jets? I can't think of any other reason why given the timeline.
Especially with deltas interest in the chapter 11 precedings and the fact that pinnacle has 140 200s. I could see delta trying to get pinnacles total fleet down to 50-75 200s and 50-75 900s. I guess its dalpas job to figure out if that may be a reason and if it is good or bad.

There could be dozens of reasons for Delta's willingness to engage in expedited bargaining. It could have to do with the PCL bankruptcy, it could be about another merger, it could be about buying our 717s, or it could just be as simple as Richard Anderson being smart enough to realize that if UAL/CAL gets their CBA done first, then he's probably going to end up paying more money. Those are just a few reasons that I can think of. No need to see black helicopters everywhere all the time. Better to just relax and wait to see what happens.

Back