Skywest

Yes, I get it. One list, etc. I'm sure that's just right around the corner.

If you think it's just about one list, you obviously don't get it. Let me get you up to speed.

Skywest has TWO pilot groups, and the ALPA group is the larger of the two. And if that group ends up being the cheaper of the two, what's going to stop the company from giving flying to the ALPA group and not you guys? For that matter, what's going to stop the company from moving airplanes from your side to the XJT side?

While I disagree with Jimmy about how effective SAPA is (I give it a lot more credit than he does), he's got a point when it comes to scope issues, unless your SAPA agreement speaks to scope and I'm unaware.

So yes, one list; but also consider that the moment you guys are too expensive, you're going to shrink. The same goes for our side. So don't be mistaken, we all work for Jerry, just in different capacities.

Jtrain,

That's exactly what's going to happen, and has been happening amongst the regionals. That's great you think there's some way to prevent that. I don't share your optimism unfortunately. That's why my plan is to move on from the ticking time bomb that is the regional airline world ASAP.

I'm really hoping I can make a more progressive 121 step shortly since I have all the boxes checked for most carriers. But if I can't, I will probably start pushing hard for a return to the corporate pilot world within a year or so.

SkyWest is a good place to go get some experience. It was even a place to call a career a few years ago. Same with ExpressJet and ASA. But those days are coming to a close.

Jtrain,

That's exactly what's going to happen, and has been happening amongst the regionals. That's great you think there's some way to prevent that. I don't share your optimism unfortunately. That's why my plan is to move on from the ticking time bomb that is the regional airline world ASAP.

I'm really hoping I can make a more progressive 121 step shortly since I have all the boxes checked for most carriers. But if I can't, I will probably start pushing hard for a return to the corporate pilot world within a year or so.

SkyWest is a good place to go get some experience. It was even a place to call a career a few years ago. Same with ExpressJet and ASA. But those days are coming to a close.

The only problem is that "IF" things do not work according to the way you had planned and end up spending more time at the regional than expected, wouldn't it be in the best interest for you as well as those that will come after, to be in an environment that they know there won't be any whipsaw within the Skywest Holdings? We can't control how mainline will whipsaw us against all the other regionals but it would be beneficial as a pilot group not to be whipsawed against each other within the same company, per se.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck in the future and hopefully be out of here soon and onto greener pastures.

The only problem is that "IF" things do not work according to the way you had planned and end up spending more time at the regional than expected, wouldn't it be in the best interest for you as well as those that will come after, to be in an environment that they know there won't be any whipsaw within the Skywest Holdings?

THIS is the mentality to take. The short timer mindset has screwed over more regionals than I can count. And even if you aren't fixing the problem for yourself, at least have the human decency to try to leave the place better than you found it.

The only problem is that "IF" things do not work according to the way you had planned and end up spending more time at the regional than expected, wouldn't it be in the best interest for you as well as those that will come after, to be in an environment that they know there won't be any whipsaw within the Skywest Holdings? We can't control how mainline will whipsaw us against all the other regionals but it would be beneficial as a pilot group not to be whipsawed against each other within the same company, per se.

This is the problem. Sometimes the worst whipsaws occur within the same company and not at the hands of the customer. Just ask the TSA peeps. I'm not saying that Skywest is GoJet but both pilot groups are at risk at becoming the next TSA.

THIS is the mentality to take. The short timer mindset has screwed over more regionals than I can count. And even if you aren't fixing the problem for yourself, at least have the human decency to try to leave the place better than you found it.

Yup. One of my friends from when I was flight instructing was at PSA for a little bit and left for greener pastures at Spirit. When they voted in their concessionary contract he told me "Well, its not a bad contract unless you're planning on being a 7 year F/O."

Situational awareness fail. I start my 7th year this month.

Yup. One of my friends from when I was flight instructing was at PSA for a little bit and left for greener pastures at Spirit. When they voted in their concessionary contract he told me "Well, its not a bad contract unless you're planning on being a 7 year F/O."

No doubt. Nobody plans this, but happens.

I know of three people (including a former CP) who left for Spirit. I wonder if it was one of them.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck in the future and hopefully be out of here soon and onto greener pastures.

Oh, I absolutely agree. But I don't see what anybody is doing to make it better. Already several unionized regionals have voted in concessions, and aside from periodic shouts of "One List!", I'm not seeing any real plans here or anywhere else.

My plan is to get the heck out of here ASAP, but I would absolutely vote down ANY concessionary proposal here. If a merger of SkyWest and ExpressJet pilot groups is ever on the horizon, I'm absolutely open to the idea providing it's fair to both groups.

Fortunately I have a degree and experience in an always in demand field, and would have zero issues walking away if I had to. Honestly, I think that's the attitude all regional pilots need to have until they make it to that final career destination. Unfortunately as we've seen, most probably don't have a good exit strategy if needed.

Oh, I absolutely agree. But I don't see what anybody is doing to make it better. Already several unionized regionals have voted in concessions, and aside from periodic shouts of "One List!", I'm not seeing any real plans here or anywhere else.

My plan is to get the heck out of here ASAP, but I would absolutely vote down ANY concessionary proposal here. If a merger of SkyWest and ExpressJet pilot groups is ever on the horizon, I'm absolutely open to the idea providing it's fair to both groups.
Yeah, that.

I wish! I still have no idea when I could EVER expect an upgrade. ;).

The funny thing is, I still would be like one of the bottom 50 rj captains if I was still at skywest. But on the bro, I'd be senior line holder.
I still have friends that were hired with me that are f/os and refuse to take the bro and refuse to upgrade anywhere other than those domiciles in the pacific or mountain time zones.

I don't know why why there is a such stigma to upgrading on the bro. If you want to leave skywest that's the quickest way.

Can someone help me get in interview. I have been trying forever. Finally got their questionnaire filled it out and returned it and have heard nothing since!

Back