Skywest

When on reserve, the call in for "work ready" is two hours. If I was lucky enough to get one of my two closest bases, LAX or PSP, both are are a two hour drives at best. That's if I even hold one of them, Unfortunately, I have no option to relocate. How would that work out? Just want to understand the logistics when not able to live in base. More newbie questions to follow I'm sure.
Thanks again for the replies and patience..

Those are valid questions, don't feel bad about asking them.

I haven't spent much time on reserve, so someone else can probably answer this better... But in your case I would attempt to bid for Long Call reserve. With Long Call, you have 12 hours notice as a minimum. Even short call reserve is typically going to have significantly more notice than two hours, but of course you would want to make sure you were able to make it in time IF they required the two hour call out.

Until you were able to get Long Call or line, you may have to consider a crash pad. But I've also heard of people just driving a little closer to the airport and hanging out at Starbucks with their uniform in the car. Considering the fairly quick movement on the Brasilia, this might be acceptable for a month or two until you get off short call reserve.

I get a chuckle out of pilots trying to practice crisis communication.

Well, I'm just trying to help guys out here at JC. If you want to sit there and snipe at me and our "Student Council", knock yourself out. You don't even work here, so why are you even posting this aside from petty jealousy?

It's sad when my desire to help people get on at a place I enjoy working at brings stuff like this out. Sure isn't the first time though.

GypsyPilot said:
Well, I'm just trying to help guys out here at JC. If you want to sit there and snipe at me and our "Student Council", knock yourself out. You don't even work here, so why are you even posting this aside from petty jealousy? It's sad when my desire to help people get on at a place I enjoy working at brings stuff like this out. Sure isn't the first time though.

Oh boy...

Look man, no sniping. I've heard it even from your own "reps" in regards to the student council name, phrase, term, etc. The horror, I know.

Anyway - keep doing what you're doing. Don't misinterpret what a few guys are saying as a "Stop!" indicator.

Oh boy...

Look man, no sniping. I've heard it even from your own "reps" in regards to the student council name, phrase, term, etc. The horror, I know.

Anyway - keep doing what you're doing. Don't misinterpret what a few guys are saying as a "Stop!" indicator.

I am going to keep doing what I'm doing, as it's in my nature to help people. I'm just wired that way. But I'm still not sure what your point is? Why did you even post what you did in this thread to begin with? It doesn't really matter I guess, it just seems like a silly and unnecessary conversation that we're having in the first place. KCCO.

I posted because I found it interesting to hear that, potentially, things are not going perfectly (as folks are always lead to believe) over on the OTHER side. It was, once again, a response to an unsubstantiated claim that Skywest Airlines pilots may be facing lower rates, similar to the squeeze being felt by members of the combined ExpressJet.

Happy now? :)

I posted because I found it interesting to hear that, potentially, things are not going perfectly (as folks are always lead to believe) over on the OTHER side. It was, once again, a response to an unsubstantiated claim that Skywest Airlines pilots may be facing lower rates, similar to the squeeze being felt by members of the combined ExpressJet.

Happy now? :)

I'd be much happier if you guys weren't also facing a squeeze. I sincerely hope everything works out well for you guys too. I was hired at ASA in '08, or more correctly put in the pool just as things started falling apart everywhere. A month or two earlier, and I would've been there and furloughed. Believe me, I have compassion for that group as well. Everybody I encountered during the two day interview was very professional and friendly.

When on reserve, the call in for "work ready" is two hours. If I was lucky enough to get one of my two closest bases, LAX or PSP, both are are a two hour drives at best. That's if I even hold one of them, Unfortunately, I have no option to relocate. How would that work out? Just want to understand the logistics when not able to live in base. More newbie questions to follow I'm sure.
I live about 1:30 (most days) from LAX. Short call can be an adrenaline producing event, but:
(1) most of the time, scheduling has more notice and can provide more notice
(2) I insist upon being given my full 2 hours from notification to report every time and I've never had a problem with that
(3) When on short call, I'm prepared to go to work (bags packed etc.)

I got through my first year with zero nasty notes about attendance. The LAX parking situation can add anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes to your travel time, so it was probably only a matter of time.

The best solution is to be on the Brasilia and hold a line as soon as you can :D

What I have understood from people in the know is that they are looking to increase first year pay while bringing down second year pay slightly.
This idea, to this pilot, is a non-starter, and any pay package that contains this idea will receive a "no" vote.

Incidentally, your people in the know must know more about it than those of us who work there.

I would guess that the talk of paycuts stems from Delta's rate reset language in the their capacity purchase agreement with Skywest (inc). When the rates reset (2015 I think?) Delta will be paying Skywest less per block hour than before (because of the other airlines in the Connection portfolio doing it for less... Thank you Endeavor.) At that point Skywest Inc has the choice of either reducing their profit margin (or taking a loss if the margin was already very low) or looking for cost savings somewhere to offset the lower pay per block hour from Delta. Sadly the easiest place to slash costs is labor wages and the biggest part of that pie is normally pilot pay. On a property with a legally recognized bargaining agent, slashing pilot pay "just because" (ie: not in bankruptcy) takes negotiations and often times, a carrot (see: 900s at PSA, 175s at Eagle etc). In the case of Skywest, because of the lack of a legal bargaining agent, the company can do pretty much what ever they want as far as pay goes. Of course, they have to deal with any fall out in the form of angry employees, but that's it.

Well, I'm just trying to help guys out here at JC. If you want to sit there and snipe at me and our "Student Council", knock yourself out. You don't even work here, so why are you even posting this aside from petty jealousy?

It's sad when my desire to help people get on at a place I enjoy working at brings stuff like this out. Sure isn't the first time though.

He DOES work here, as do I.

You just haven't realized it yet.

I know we've spoken via PMs (glad you finally got a call!) and we live not too far apart in north county SD, I was PSP based for a long time and never had a drive take me the full 2hrs. There is a back route that cuts out several miles and goes through Hemet and that area. Less stressful than the freeways and I never hit traffic. As long as I had my things packed and ready I could change and make the drive in under 2hrs to PSP.

LAX has been a shorter drive with no traffic (I'm at the west end of the 78) but the couple of times that I have run into traffic its been around 2.5hrs. The good news is I can count the number of 2hr call outs I got on reserve on one hand.

He DOES work here, as do I.

You just haven't realized it yet.

MMA No Water.gif

I know we've spoken via PMs (glad you finally got a call!) and we live not too far apart in north county SD, I was PSP based for a long time and never had a drive take me the full 2hrs. There is a back route that cuts out several miles and goes through Hemet and that area. Less stressful than the freeways and I never hit traffic. As long as I had my things packed and ready I could change and make the drive in under 2hrs to PSP.

LAX has been a shorter drive with no traffic (I'm at the west end of the 78) but the couple of times that I have run into traffic its been around 2.5hrs. The good news is I can count the number of 2hr call outs I got on reserve on one hand.
Thanks again Erik, PSP sounds like the better deal if I can get it.

Back