Skywest

I'm a coworker of autothrust and gypsy. I've got a wife and two kids so I typically block 50-60 and am home 20-23 days a month since the kiddos are babies. Pay is typical regional pay but qol is outstanding. I'm on the RJ at 50% seniority in base and hold commutable trips but not usually weekends off. Feel free to ask away!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

I'm a coworker of autothrust and gypsy. I've got a wife and two kids so I typically block 50-60 and am home 20-23 days a month since the kiddos are babies. Pay is typical regional pay but qol is outstanding. I'm on the RJ at 50% seniority in base and hold commutable trips but not usually weekends off. Feel free to ask away!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
Thanks much for the input Turbo. Where are you based? When you guys are on overnights, they provide accommodations? Probably a common sense answer.. Is per diem payed per flight hour or duty? Thank you.

Yes you get a hotel room on your overnights. If you commute though, and arrive a day early because you have an early AM show the next day, you are responsible for your own accommodations for that one night.

Per diem is paid based on TAFB (time away from base). Ex: You have a 3 day trip that has a 5am sign in on day one and a release time of 5pm on day 3. That's 60 hours TAFB. So you get paid 60 x (whatever the per diem rate is). You don't get that money up front, in cash, before a trip. It's added into your paychecks. I personally don't count it as income as it is a variable number. I have noticed though that my per diem "wipes out" taxes. If my paycheck is large enough that I lose $300 to taxes, then I've generally worked enough that I make $300 in per diem.

That is NOT always the case though. So most guys will agree to not include per diem in your financials/budget.

I agree with most of the comments so far. Skywest has always treated me fair and I generally enjoy the people I work with. The safety culture is excellent and despite all the complainers I feel that things get better every year. Upgrade is forever but your schedule will be decent once you get in the top 50% of FO's. I would love to move on to a legacy carrier but if it doesn't happen Skywest is definitely a great regional to be at if you value quality of life.

As always, thank you for the replies. A question about training, is the initial three weeks seven on-seven on or are there breaks at all to check on the house? In 2000 I did a CE-500 type. It was the proverbial "drinking from the fire hose" experience which was fine but it was only for five days. Than it was done. Twenty one days straight sounds like boot camp. But if it is, it's what it is..

Thank you.

You get to home on the weekends and depending on timing there can be a gap between the end of sim and IOE (flying the airplane).

I have a question for all you Skywest guys. Kyle I hope you can forgive me for hijacking the thread, you might be interested in this too.

I have a friend who flies the CRJ for Skywest. He recently told me that SKW pilots might be taking a paycut here soon, is that true? How can that be possible?

Sky west is non-union but they have some sort of in-house "pilot group" that is negotiating with management on this one. (so I am told, idk).

Skywest is a great company, probably the best regional to go to. Every time I talk to HR they tell me that are competing for pilots with every regional right now and that they want to attract only the best and the brightest... They also tell me that their demand is high, very high.

I seems like a conflicting story. How can you tell me that you really want to invest in your pilot base, and that demand is so high, and then turn around and cut pay? How is that going to attract new pilots?

Is this because of Pinnacle pulling everyone down? Help me separate fact from rumor as well as understand the regional game.

Horizon first year $30, SKW $22..... That is a substantial difference in QOL.

Look, since I'm a student council rep I can't confirm or deny anything on an internetz forum while negotiations are on-going. But I will say this, don't believe everything you hear out there and I wouldn't let any such rumors dissuade anyone from applying.

There has been absolutely zero talk of pay cuts. Not sure why you're friend would say that. Worst case for us would be status quo. But no pay cuts.

I have a question for all you Skywest guys. Kyle I hope you can forgive me for hijacking the thread, you might be interested in this too.

I have a friend who flies the CRJ for Skywest. He recently told me that SKW pilots might be taking a paycut here soon, is that true? How can that be possible?

Sky west is non-union but they have some sort of in-house "pilot group" that is negotiating with management on this one. (so I am told, idk).

Skywest is a great company, probably the best regional to go to. Every time I talk to HR they tell me that are competing for pilots with every regional right now and that they want to attract only the best and the brightest... They also tell me that their demand is high, very high.

I seems like a conflicting story. How can you tell me that you really want to invest in your pilot base, and that demand is so high, and then turn around and cut pay? How is that going to attract new pilots?

Is this because of Pinnacle pulling everyone down? Help me separate fact from rumor as well as understand the regional game.

Horizon first year $30, SKW $22..... That is a substantial difference in QOL.

What I have understood from people in the know is that they are looking to increase first year pay while bringing down second year pay slightly.

When on reserve, the call in for "work ready" is two hours. If I was lucky enough to get one of my two closest bases, LAX or PSP, both are are a two hour drives at best. That's if I even hold one of them, Unfortunately, I have no option to relocate. How would that work out? Just want to understand the logistics when not able to live in base. More newbie questions to follow I'm sure.
Thanks again for the replies and patience..

What I have understood from people in the know is that they are looking to increase first year pay while bringing down second year pay slightly.

We have been told that management has not suggested or even hinted at pay reductions of any sort. What is your source for suggesting otherwise?

As far as reducing 2nd year pay and raising first year, why in the heck would pilots on property be willing to take a paycut in order to raise pay for pilots that don't even work here yet? I will soon be hitting 4th year pay, and would be so against this even though it wouldn't affect me. I guarantee the rest of the pilot group would not agree to this either.

So far we've had two posts from people that don't even work here, making pretty damning statements that have no substance other than "A guy I know said so and so". Please stop it. It is extremely annoying to be correcting people that don't even work here.

If you guys have questions, please feel free to fire away. I've literally spent hours on the phone talking offline to people with questions about working here, and am ways glad to help. But there is a big difference between asking some questions vs. getting people riled up based on baseless rumors.

Last edited:
Back