Skywest

My best guess for "short order" at least on the Brasilia would be 3-4mos if not less. We have a fair amount of movement right now, especially on the Bro so getting where you want should't be too difficult. There are CRJ only and EMB only domiciles, CRJ only would be MSP, ORD, IAH, TUS, PHX, DEN and SEA. I believe the only domicile that is EMB only is SBP. Domiciles with both types are LAX, SFO, PDX, SLC, PSP and FAT. As of right now the only 175 domicile will be ORD but I'm sure that will change as that fleet grows.
I'm sure we're going to have a west coast EM7 domicile, I just don't know which one it will be and when.

Everything happens somewhat quickly, movement-wise, on the Brasilia. People suffer/enjoy it for a year and then go to the shiny jet, where the paycheck is $800 more a month in exchange for freezing parts of your anatomy off. I can hold any domicile in the system now as an FO (and be a line holder in any of FAT PSP SFO LAX), and I've been here for a year and change.

I'm sure we're going to have a west coast EM7 domicile, I just don't know which one it will be and when.

Everything happens somewhat quickly, movement-wise, on the Brasilia. People suffer/enjoy it for a year and then go to the shiny jet, where the paycheck is $800 more a month in exchange for freezing parts of your anatomy off. I can hold any domicile in the system now as an FO (and be a line holder in any of FAT PSP SFO LAX), and I've been here for a year and change.

Yes, except for the NW! Basically one could be either a senior Brasilia CA or reserve RJ FO in SEA/PDX. ;)

So if I am understanding this correctly every time you guys move a seat you need to change domiciles or commute? Is that right? I am trying to look at what my options are and where I would like to live in the next five years. I have been moving once every 18 months for the last five years and to be honest I would like to be somewhat stable somewhere for a while, who knows maybe even buy a couch!

However, the way it sounds is that I will need to live 1 year EMB FO in one place, another 1-2 years if I go to JR CRJ FO some where else, then move to more desirable place to live after I am a more senior FO. And eventually move again when I upgrade to CA.

Is that right? I know that I can commute but it sounds bad and the reviews on it are even worse!

Well, you don't have to move but it can help QOL if you really aren't into the commuting thing. As much as I despise commuting, I'd rather live in the place I want to than live someplace that doesn't jive with me just to spend a few more days in a city I don't like in the first place.

Who knows, perhaps you'll get the bird/base that you could really dig for a few years right out of training. All this said, your second paragraph is fairly commonplace trajectory of how things go. I say see where you end up base wise then make the decision to stay mobile for awhile longer or just live somewhere cool. Commuting is manageable, you just gotta be creative sometimes.

So if I am understanding this correctly every time you guys move a seat you need to change domiciles or commute? Is that right? I am trying to look at what my options are and where I would like to live in the next five years. I have been moving once every 18 months for the last five years and to be honest I would like to be somewhat stable somewhere for a while, who knows maybe even buy a couch!

However, the way it sounds is that I will need to live 1 year EMB FO in one place, another 1-2 years if I go to JR CRJ FO some where else, then move to more desirable place to live after I am a more senior FO. And eventually move again when I upgrade to CA.

Is that right? I know that I can commute but it sounds bad and the reviews on it are even worse!

No, you don't have to move. You can stick it out on the Brophus until you can upgrade or hold the same base on the RJ. The way our bids work is that you can select all or just a few or even only one base for the new seat/airplane. So if you're a Brasilia FO in LAX and you want to bid to transition to the arrr jay you can bid specifically CRJ: LAX. You might see others junior to you awarded a jet class before you because they opted for junior bases but once you can hold LAX and a jet class comes up, you'll get it.

Welcome to the airlines. And if you have a couch, all you will wind up doing is parking on it. (I know, I have a couch now.)

Some people actually like Fresnikistan!

I don't think I'll be moving anytime soon. If I wind up flying the CRJ here it'll be on reserve in LAX (I can hold that now). Seniority helps. If you get on the Brasilia to start with, like we discussed, you may (probably will, but no guarantees) be able to get somewhere you want to be more quickly than the jet.

But what @bike21 said is pretty much spot on.

Living large autothrust! I slept on the floor for a year on reserve rethinking my career choice while paying my mortgage in Dallas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Back