Skywest Questions

Question for any airline guys I guess. During training is it feasible to go home for a weekend out of the training period? For me it would just be a one leg flight so I'm just curious on what your thoughts are. Wasn't able to find anything with a search

Question for any airline guys I guess. During training is it feasible to go home for a weekend out of the training period? For me it would just be a one leg flight so I'm just curious on what your thoughts are. Wasn't able to find anything with a search
People in my class did all the time. Doable, but don't risk not being able to get back in time. And I definitely wouldn't do it too much. You have to hit the books hard, even on the weekends.

Back in the ol' days we used to finagle positive space home on the weekends, but the kibosh was severely put on that awhile back. Like @JordanD says, do it sparingly but it is possible. Suck it up for a few weeks, pass training with flying colors and you'll be good to go.

We didn't get our badges until almost the end of training, so unfortunately for us, nobody got to go anywhere. Not sure what it's like now, but I spent the entirety of groundschool in SLC.

Sim on the other hand was different. I basically commuted to training, staying overnight only when I had multiple days in a row of sim. I went home after each session.

As people have said, it depends.
1. When you are given pass privileges.
2. For jumpseating, when you get into CASS.
3. Class schedule.
4. Distance of cummute.
5. Number of flights and loads.
6. How you are doing in training.

If you have your badge and it's only one leg, go home at least once. Just plan to make sure you get back in time for class. Let whomever is at home waiting for you it will be a quiet study weekend. You'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel after a couple nights at home. And if you are bunked up with another guy for new hire ground school, both of you will benefit from a couple nights apart.

I managed to get home at least once from EMB and CRJ school, my mental faculties were thoroughly improved upon returning to SLC.

Thank for all of the input guys! For me it's just an hour flight home so I was curious. If I have my badge I'll be sure to do that. Ground school is typically six weeks or so correct?

Thank for all of the input guys! For me it's just an hour flight home so I was curious. If I have my badge I'll be sure to do that. Ground school is typically six weeks or so correct?

Having your badge is not enough. For non-rev you must be in the respective airline's non-rev system- DAL/AAL/UAL. For jumpseating you must be in CASS. Not sure when SkyWest sets this up.

If I remember correctly Indoc was 1 week, then systems was 3.

Having your badge is not enough. For non-rev you must be in the respective airline's non-rev system- DAL/AAL/UAL. For jumpseating you must be in CASS. Not sure when SkyWest sets this up.

For the OP, when I went through CRJ initial they had us in the delta/united non-rev system before we got our badges/CASS.

My only regret was not going home more often during ground. During sim our instructors demanded we go home and not think about airplanes during some of the 3 and 4 day breaks. Welcome!

Back in the ol' days we used to finagle positive space home on the weekends, but the kibosh was severely put on that awhile back. Like @JordanD says, do it sparingly but it is possible. Suck it up for a few weeks, pass training with flying colors and you'll be good to go.
And don't call me when you wind up in the principal's office...

As someone who is about to join the regional ranks, I'm looking for somewhat of a moral boost. I'll be moving to COS this summer so that I can hopefully be based at home. Over at APC it seems like it's just constant doom and gloom, people getting minimum days off with poor credit. Are these just the outliers? I don't expect the schedule I want for years but such a negative picture is being painted it's hard to ignore.
I've been on line for about a month and a half now, and I'm having a blast! Those guys are a bunch of negative-nanny's about every possible thing. BTW, COS is a junior base, you can hold it right out of sims.

Ground school is 1 week of Indoc/ admin stuff, 2.5 weeks of systems.

It was more difficult in the past, but still not that hard. Sim was rough.
So if you interview in SLC they make you fly the sim? They were at my company doing interviews last week with no sim and all gouges I've read had no sim...

Back