Skywest Questions

flyingbum

Needz Re-Edjamacayshun
Anyone know if the $7500 hiring bonus at Skywest is only for previously typed applicants? Or is it offered to all new hires? Can seem to find the answer on the interwebz. There's nothing on their website about it, only shows in their online ads.

Also, how much can I make first year? I'm guessing 30 k. The bonus would certainly help though.

Thanks

Only for typed applicants, unless something has changed. I bring home about $1700 a month as a reserve that never flies, one or two trips will bump that up a couple hundred bucks per paycheck. I think if you go to the CRJ you fly more/get a line sooner.

Thanks @JordanD . Thinking about applying in the next couple months. The pay is hard to swallow for the first year, I'll have to live off peanut butter sandwiches I guess. If I'm correct ORD and MSP are the junior bases right?

Sounds like the SJS is strong on the 175 side of the house.
Meh, long legs, shorter days,
Thanks @JordanD . Thinking about applying in the next couple months. The pay is hard to swallow for the first year, I'll have to live off peanut butter sandwiches I guess. If I'm correct ORD and MSP are the junior bases right?
Yessir. Although I have heard of new hires getting sent to SFO right off the bat in the last year. Hasn't seemed to happen recently but it seems like guys are getting transfers pretty quick depending on what base.

Anyone know if the $7500 hiring bonus at Skywest is only for previously typed applicants? Or is it offered to all new hires? Can seem to find the answer on the interwebz. There's nothing on their website about it, only shows in their online ads.

Also, how much can I make first year? I'm guessing 30 k. The bonus would certainly help though.

Thanks

Probably be closer to 35 to 38k. I was on track to make over 30k when pay was $22/ hour.

Yessir. Although I have heard of new hires getting sent to SFO right off the bat in the last year. Hasn't seemed to happen recently but it seems like guys are getting transfers pretty quick depending on what base.

SFO would be cool. I could stay with family instead of doing the crash pad thing.

Probably be closer to 35 to 38k. I was on track to make over 30k when pay was $22/ hour.

Thanks, good to know, surviving on first year pay seems tough. Is it hard to credit above minimum guarantee? Are the bid periods monthly? ala 12 per year or is it 4 weeks? 13 bid periods per year? I know simple questions but I'm curious. Thanks guys

I'm probably worst case scenario then. 6/7 week wait for IOE after the checkride, average <30 hours a month since then including IOE. Barely made consolidation. But we'll see, it is the slow season after all. Probably a few more months away from a line in ORD on the 175 and not getting used so I would be shocked if I make that much this year.

SFO would be cool. I could stay with family instead of doing the crash pad thing.

Thanks, good to know, surviving on first year pay seems tough. Is it hard to credit above minimum guarantee? Are the bid periods monthly? ala 12 per year or is it 4 weeks? 13 bid periods per year? I know simple questions but I'm curious. Thanks guys

Monthly bid. Not hard to credit above guarantee on the CRJ, 175 is a different story. I did a year on the CRJ before transitioning to the 175. I think the seat lock is unfortunately 2 years now.

I'm probably worst case scenario then. 6/7 week wait for IOE after the checkride, average <30 hours a month since then including IOE. Barely made consolidation. But we'll see, it is the slow season after all. Probably a few more months away from a line in ORD on the 175 and not getting used so I would be shocked if I make that much this year.
Yeah, things look like they're moving pretty slow for newhires on the 175. I wouldn't count on anything over guarantee.

Things should move a little faster on the 175 when the new airplanes show up later this year. The first 6 months of my time at Skywest was at $24/hr, then the last 6 months the pay increased to $30. (Also worth noting is they bumped up the guaranteed credit hours during training VS when I went through) Off my pay stub total gross at the end of year 1 was $32k, take home was $24k. Your milage may very depending your tax situation. I did about half reserve and half line holder on the CRJ

With or without per diem? I really don't see how you could make over $30k at $22/hr at Skywest. You would have to average 114 credit hours a month. That isn't exactly easy especially now under Part 117.

JordanD said:
Could I hold a line in ORD yet on the 175?

With or without per diem? I really don't see how you could make over $30k at $22/hr at Skywest. You would have to average 114 credit hours a month. That isn't exactly easy especially now under Part 117.

Yes, that was total gross including per diem, holiday pay, sick/vacation pay, and some small bonuses. The last month was $24/hour, not that that made much difference.

First year CRJ FO here. I have credited over 100 hours the last three months in a row which has really helped the pay situation. On track to gross $36,000+ first year of you include per diem. Training pay was tough the first two months but once I got a line and I figured out how to bid correctly, the pay situation improved for me.

Thanks for all the intel guys, I'm just going to have to suck it up with first year pay. If I can afford a Subway sandwich for lunch I'll be a happy camper. :)

Thanks for all the intel guys, I'm just going to have to suck it up with first year pay. If I can afford a Subway sandwich for lunch I'll be a happy camper. :)

Yeah that's pretty much it man, if it makes you feel any better there is quite a bit more money on the table than there was a few years ago. IIRC the Brasilia FO payscale topped out before it even got to 2nd year CRJ pay, which was $37/ hr.

Since it's tax time and I've got the numbers at my disposal... First year pay for me was $22/hour. In my first year, including training, I was paid:
Gross: $23,900
Taxable: $20,900 - Gross less non-taxed per diem
Per Diem spent: $980 - I kept separate records for all food bought while on a trip
Credit hours: 931.09 - I was on reserve and broke guarantee only twice

I think your best estimate of how much you'll get in your first year is to add 3 zeroes to your pay rate.

Second year pay almost doubled. Rate was $37.15/hour.
Gross: $43,500
Taxable: $38,000
Per Diem spent: $1,650 - apparently I ate more, but I also worked more
Credit hours: 1059.65 - still mostly on reserve, but breaking guarantee more often

Back