SkyWest pilot pay package

I just interviewed with SkyWest and am waiting to start training in a few weeks so I have been following this thread with a lot of interest. I've learned a lot in the past few days (I'm new to the 121 world) but was wondering what happens now? Does the current pay agreement have to be replaced within any particular time frame or can it go on indefinitely? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into; thanks!

Because the property is non union there is no requirement for management to do anything in a legal sense. Even if the vote had passed, they still wouldn't have had to do anything, although if they hadn't there probably would have been operation problems. What will probably happen now is a second pay proposal will be made. Management only needs to win over 12% of the pilots (or get some of the 14% who didn't vote at all to show up and vote yes) to get a proposal passed.

I just interviewed with SkyWest and am waiting to start training in a few weeks so I have been following this thread with a lot of interest. I've learned a lot in the past few days (I'm new to the 121 world) but was wondering what happens now? Does the current pay agreement have to be replaced within any particular time frame or can it go on indefinitely? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into; thanks!

Since there really is no union, per se, I wonder if Skywest can just impose whatever they want to impose then go get a pimiento cheese sandwich?

Mmm… Pimiento cheese.

Well, I wonder if since there is no union, per se, I wonder if they can threaten a wildcat strike and shut it down. The RLA or lack of RLA (or whatever it is) must go both ways. If the company can shove it down a non-union throat I would think the work force would be free to shove it right back....

Just my thoughts from the peanut gallery.

DE727UPS said:
Well, I wonder if since there is no union, per se, I wonder if they can threaten a wildcat strike and shut it down. The RLA or lack of RLA (or whatever it is) must go both ways. If the company can shove it down a non-union throat I would think the work force would be free to shove it right back.... Just my thoughts from the peanut gallery.

You would be incorrect.

Well, I wonder if since there is no union, per se, I wonder if they can threaten a wildcat strike and shut it down. The RLA or lack of RLA (or whatever it is) must go both ways. If the company can shove it down a non-union throat I would think the work force would be free to shove it right back....

Just my thoughts from the peanut gallery.
Ha, that's funny.

Because the property is non union there is no requirement for management to do anything in a legal sense. Even if the vote had passed, they still wouldn't have had to do anything, although if they hadn't there probably would have been operation problems. What will probably happen now is a second pay proposal will be made. Management only needs to win over 12% of the pilots (or get some of the 14% who didn't vote at all to show up and vote yes) to get a proposal passed.
That would be called "altering the 'deal.'"

If anyone cares, the status quo continues. Which isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. SAPA are getting together this week to do whatever it is they'll do, and I suspect we'll see another deal within 6-12 months. Like you said, it's only 12% of the group that has to be wooed. Or just get the SLC contingent to show up in a little more force. :rolleyes:

The current payscale remains in effect indefinitely, pursuant to the Letter of Agreement in the Pilot Policy Manual.

You'll have larger fish to fry getting through school, but when you do get through the schoolhouse, do yourself a solid and read the reserve rules and reserve survival guide. :)

Because it's illegal.

C'mon... you can give me more than simple statements. Back it up with fact, (not that I doubt you in anyway) as you're always telling me. Make me, an outsider understand exactly legally why it's illegal.

Because I don't understand how it can be illegal, without a contract. How would they still be under the RLA's jurisdiction?

Maximillian_Jenius said:
C'mon... you can give me more than simple statements. Back it up with fact, (not that I doubt you in anyway) as you're always telling me. Make me, an outsider understand exactly legally why it's illegal. Because I don't understand how it can be illegal, without a contract. How would they still be under the RLA's jurisdiction?

All airlines and rail operators are always under the RLA, whether organized or not. And the RLA doesn't allow a strike unless released by the NMB, which can't happen until an impasse has been reached under the process outlined in the Act to resolve major disputes.

All airlines and rail operators are always under the RLA, whether organized or not. And the RLA doesn't allow a strike unless released by the NMB, which can't happen until an impasse has been reached under the process outlined in the Act to resolve major disputes.
But if they don't have a contract, would they have to go through the same process as a organized Union shop to get released for strike?

Bravo, see knew you could do it.

Now SKYW being non-union. If they ever hypothetically wanted to strike they have no union, and the company can imposes their will upon their group as it sees fit. With no bargaining power, who do the employees go to when things get really bad? You'll probably answer, the RLA. But the employees again have no real organized employee group. Thus no representation power, right?

Back