SkyWest pilot pay package

I'm a trusting person, to a point. It's served me well.

I'm also a scrupulously honest person, and that, too, has served me well.

I take my chances.

-Fox

Hold on a second.

In more situations than you would think, you should NOT be honest or else you are doing yourself (and others for that matter) a disservice. Take for example, car buying. Do you take the 'sticker price' as that is the 'honest' price for the car? Do you really give the car sales person your absolute bottom price right away? Do you threaten to leave even though you have them at a good price point to get them down even more? Do you trust the car person when they say, hey I know you wanted a used car but trust me, this new car will be better for you because....?

What about when you call your credit card company and they ask you if you want to 'trust' in their loss of wages insurance (or whatever they call it) and paying your min balance? Do you buy that?

The airplane is low on oil, the mechanic comes out and fills it after you completed your walk around...do you trust them? Or do you verify?

I can go on and on...

Yes, trust and honesty are important, I consider myself to be both a trust worthy and honest person, BUT, I will lie and I will not trust people in the future, like I have done in the past.

One final question. How would you answer during an interview, 'Have you ever lied?'.

Last edited:
No one should ever be trusted. People are scum. The quicker you learn it, the better.
Eh, I take the middle ground. I give people the benefit of the doubt either way. I used to think that @jtrain609 was the biggest DB until I met him in person, and then my perspective totally changed. It's unfair to say everyone is scum but on the same note to trust everyone. Being guarded is a safe bet.

In more situations than you would think, you should NOT be honest or else you are doing yourself (and others for that matter) a disservice.

Hm. Let me preface this by saying that I do not consider corporations or sales entities necessarily trustable.

Take for example, car buying. Do you take the 'sticker price' as that is the 'honest' price for the car?
Do you really give the car sales person your absolute bottom price right away? Do you threaten to leave even though you have them at a good price point to get them down even more?

In answer to your questions, in order: the sticker price is a relatively honest price for the car, yes. You can consider it a "reference" price. Just like any item sold has an MSRP.
Do I really give the car sales person my absolute bottom price right away? In the last three transactions, the first two I did exactly that, yes. I gathered the data, worked up a fair price based on the dealer's cost plus a fair profit, laid out my terms and contacted the dealer.

The last transaction, I basically told the dealer "We know that all the numbers are available online. I'm not looking for an out-the-door price to beat my neighbor—I just want a fair deal. I know exactly what I want, I know exactly how much it costs. I don't want to haggle, I don't want to spend any time sitting across a table from you talking price."

I ended up with a pretty darn reasonable deal that I'm completely satisfied with, and exactly the car I wanted. I've had dealers try to screw with me after I said stuff like that in the past, and I've just walked away.

So ...in order of your questions, yes, yes, no.

Do you trust the car person when they say, hey I know you wanted a used car but trust me, this new car will be better for you because....?

No, because I make it clear that I know exactly what I want out of the transaction up front.

What about when you call your credit card company and they ask you if you want to 'trust' in their loss of wages insurance (or whatever they call it) and paying your min balance? Do you buy that?

I am unfamiliar with what you're describing, but if it's an insurance product I generally stay away from them. Especially warranties. I tell the sales people that I'm not interested in paying money to them to insure their own products. If they get aggressive, I question whether they actually have faith in the products they're selling if they're so worried about warrantying them.

The airplane is low on oil, the mechanic comes out and fills it after you completed your walk around...do you trust them? Or do you verify?

I do both. I trust the mechanic's intent, but I verify the oil level of an airplane as a matter of course. Being a trusting person doesn't imply that I don't check things.

I can go on and on...

As can I. I don't really see your point, if you've made it above, unless it's "don't trust sales people" ... which is a fairly good rule, as they're not acting on their own faith but instead representing a company, which is not a person and cannot be trusted.

Yes, trust and honesty are important, I consider myself to be both a trust worthy and honest person, BUT, I will lie and I will not trust people in the future, like I have done in the past.

There's a rather unsubtle difference between "I am a trusting person, to a point." and "I trust everything I'm told."

But no, I don't generally lie. When I do, it's often inadvertent in the course of presenting information that I later realize was false... and when I do that, I try to own it as soon as I realize it.

One final question. How would you answer during an interview, 'Have you ever lied?'.
What I would think:
"What, is that a real question? Am I a pimply-faced adolescent interviewing for a retail position?"
What I would say:
"I would have great difficulty believing someone who told me that they'd never lied, but lying is foreign to my character and with the exception of the occasional lie of politeness, I hold myself to scrupulous honesty."

And that's my honest answer.

-Fox

How are you checking it at your current place? Just trusting the automation?

I ask because I learned that (and I get to say this) my shop 8) the pilot used to have the ability and responsibility to add oil as needed. It was a remote storage setup, but it was the pilot that could add oil when needed.

Hold on a second.

In more situations than you would think, you should NOT be honest or else you are doing yourself (and others for that matter) a disservice. Take for example, car buying. Do you take the 'sticker price' as that is the 'honest' price for the car? Do you really give the car sales person your absolute bottom price right away? Do you threaten to leave even though you have them at a good price point to get them down even more? Do you trust the car person when they say, hey I know you wanted a used car but trust me, this new car will be better for you because....?

I can go on and on...

We already had that accident, actually, in which many quarts were added to a brand-new PW118A, when it did not need many quarts. As it turns out, you can't see the oil in the sight gauge when the oil and engine are brand new. (Fortunately, our few remaining Brasilias no longer have this problem ;) )

An internal engine fire and the failure of both hydraulic systems from said fire resulted. The aircraft was substantially damaged, but everyone lived. (The CA still works here, and is a super cool guy to fly with.)

This evening a vote to secure significant enhancements to compensation and quality of life for SkyWest pilots concluded. As you’re aware, the proposed package was not approved by the majority of the pilot group. Clearly, I’m disappointed by the outcome of the vote, specifically because you chose not to approve a package that served to address what you’ve shared as your priorities and key objectives, including quality of life improvements through increased staffing, profit sharing and retirement enhancements.

The only improvement to QOL was through increased staffing? Yea, um, try harder next time. And I do not recall sharing my priorities as "have 1st year FO's make more money than any other FO on property." @Autothrust Blue, I think they pulled most of these ideas out of their ass and handed it to the company. It's what they (the "leadership") wanted.

2942 voted (86.2% turnout)
1800 voted to reject (61.3%)

Sorry, you are not a winner. Please try again.
image.jpg

The only improvement to QOL was through increased staffing? Yea, um, try harder next time. And I do not recall sharing my priorities as "have 1st year FO's make more money than any other FO on property." @Autothrust Blue, I think they pulled most of these ideas out of their ass and handed it to the company. It's what they (the "leadership") wanted.
I'm going to go ahead and put this one at SAPA's feet. My no vote is as much a vote of no confidence in Jeremy and Russ.

Thing of it is, the status quo is far from terrible unless you're a new hire (and just know that if you are, we've all been there, we are sorry it sucks, but in an industry where experience matters: we've got it, and you'll soon get it). Personal opinion: I sincerely doubt the staffing situation would have been improved with no effective mandate for the Company to maintain an adequate pilot force through hard formulas, although I do see where management was coming from on that argument. I don't think that we'd see a tremendous uptick in applications as there are still resumes on Pilot Selection's desk, and to quote Klen Brooks, "first year pay is adequate as long as we have applicants."

I honestly think Association leadership are surprised by the outcome of this vote. Great business majors though they are, they are lousy politicians and leaders. They utterly failed to sell us this one, and they utterly failed to come up with a palatable deal.

The message from management is far better than the SAPA communication on the issue:
That said, I remain confident that we can navigate a successful future together. We’re operating in a world that was drastically different than a year ago, and will be equally different by this time next year. As an airline, we’re focused on securing our success – and viable careers – over the long-term. That means continuing to take very good care of our people while remaining more agile than anyone else so that we can continue to respond to new opportunity. Our capacity to stay competitive in our ability to deliver a superior product at a viable cost remains a cornerstone of our business. We can’t price ourselves out of the competition, nor will we make capricious decisions for short-term gain.
Well, yes:
(1) I'm going to go fly my shiny jet out of Edmonton now.
(2) We haven't priced ourselves out!

I just interviewed with SkyWest and am waiting to start training in a few weeks so I have been following this thread with a lot of interest. I've learned a lot in the past few days (I'm new to the 121 world) but was wondering what happens now? Does the current pay agreement have to be replaced within any particular time frame or can it go on indefinitely? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into; thanks!

Phrogdriver265 said:
I just interviewed with SkyWest and am waiting to start training in a few weeks so I have been following this thread with a lot of interest. I've learned a lot in the past few days (I'm new to the 121 world) but was wondering what happens now? Does the current pay agreement have to be replaced within any particular time frame or can it go on indefinitely? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into; thanks!
Welcome aboard. If on the CRJ side let me know and I'll send some extra study materials for exams and stuff.

Back