SkyLens Hiring for 2015-16 Season (new low mins)

What's the issue with being 1099?

One other thing to consider on 1099 v W-2 is how is it that an aerial survey pilot is considered an "independent contractor" in the first place? The IRS has a series of tests to determine whether an employee is classified correctly or not. Some of these tests include "does the employee provide their own equipment?" or "does the employee have significant control over their own schedule.?" If you're flying a company owned and assigned aircraft, and flying a schedule dictated by the company on a regular basis, then maybe we're not really upholding the spirit of regulations. (http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/appx_d_irs_ic_test.html)

Recent case law has tightened up on employers who try and skirt these tests. For example, FedEx tried to treat its acquired ground unit as an independent contractor shop and spent several years in litigation (http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/article...arent-employees-dot-the-courts-will-decide#p1) arguing as much in an effort to avoid paying overtime, dodge collective bargaining, avoid paying unemployment insurance, etc. Over the last few months FedEx has either lost decisions, or settled, in several federal courts. While there are plenty of companies who try to skirt taxes and labor law by filing independent contractor, both the IRS and Dept of Labor are cracking down as they should. (Also see Uber: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/18/b...at-says-drivers-should-be-employees.html?_r=0)

So taking my MBA hat off, where it hurts low time pilots is financially come tax time like I mentioned earlier in the thread. You'll need to pay estimated tax quarterly, with a penalty for under payment, so you'd better run those numbers correctly (Let's assume we're in the 15% tax bracket). Then come filing season you'd better have set aside sufficient funds to cover your payroll taxes (Social Security and Medicare) that would've otherwise been 50% withheld from paychecks and 50% employer funded. You're looking at roughly 15% of your taxable income right there. Speaking of taxable income, have fun getting creative with deductions (I've played the airline crew deduction game before, and my advice is to read up carefully on what's allowable) on your 1040 to try and drive down your taxable income in the first place, and make sure you save your receipts in case of audit.

Yes, it sounds pretty cool getting $100-120/day in per diem as an "independent contractor" until you realize that you're responsible for using that to cover hotel, rental car/transport, and food. I had enough of shacking up with a couple other dudes when I was in the service, but if that's your thing, then enjoy doing that every day on the road to stretch your dollar. I'll gladly take SkyLens' policy of company paid single pilot hotel room (never thought I'd be gunning for elite status in Wyndham Rewards, but no complaints), company paid shared rental car, and $25-30 a day for incidentals on top of a daily guaranteed salary as a legit employee. Plus, "soft pay" sorts of things like paid airline ticket at beginning and end of season, flight time performance pay (144 hours last month meant another $800+ in my pocket), end of season bonus money, etc. By all means, break out Excel and run a $ line by line between all the picto companies, but on quality of life alone I'm satisfied.

Disclosure: The opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of my employer.

Interesting. It seems like such a gray area with the IRS. Do you work for Skylens uavking? What kind of hotels do you stay at? Does anyone know if the other vendors provide time off, paid flights, and bonuses? What's it like to share a room with another pilot? I assume that if you're sharing that you can stay at nicer places and still save money right? I don't think I would have a problem with saving money for taxes, but I suppose some would have an issue with budgeting.

Interesting. It seems like such a gray area with the IRS. Do you work for Skylens uavking? What kind of hotels do you stay at? Does anyone know if the other vendors provide time off, paid flights, and bonuses? What's it like to share a room with another pilot? I assume that if you're sharing that you can stay at nicer places and still save money right? I don't think I would have a problem with saving money for taxes, but I suppose some would have an issue with budgeting.
Those are probably best questions for another thread since this one is specific to SkyLens. Sharing rooms can be... Interesting. Most people are easy to get along with but after 7+months things can get tense at times.

Yeah, I'm with SkyLens. In terms of hotels, the baseline is clean, safe single pilot accommodation with wifi with a base price cap of $60 (plus tax). It's your responsibility to find a hotel room that meets that criteria, so there is a fair bit of flexibility. If you can turn up a Holiday Inn or whatever on a crew rate for $50, awesome. I've tended to lean heavily on government/military rates as well as various corporate rates that I qualify for. For the most part that's tended to mean Choice (Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, etc.) or Wyndham (Super 8, Days Inn, Ramada, etc.) properties, though these are great because often they'll come with continental brekkie, fridge, and microwave. Rental cars are similar, but the price limit is lowest bidder in cheapest category that gets the job done. That said, if you have elite status with, say, Hertz and you get free upgrades, then no problem. In all cases, points and stay/rental credits are yours so learn to love elite programs at whatever companies you use.

Sent in my Application, Could not be more antsy waiting for a reply, I even called a local friend who own a aerial operation for more info to better prepare myself!!! Ahhhh this will make me go bald!!

UPDATE: I received a LOT of resumés. I've stopped counting but I think it's well over 70 and I still have them coming in at the rate of 2-5 per day. At this point I've suspended processing any new resumés.

I was informed by Pictometry that there may be an equipment shortage this Fall that will mean we initially deploy only 10 Cessnas for Nov 1st instead of 12, with the remaining two expected to deploy later in November or December. It is possible that the equipment shortage is rectified and becomes a non-issue by the time training starts on Oct 15th and I may at any time receive a hard start date for those two planes but until I have a better idea of when those other two planes deploy, I am considering only 10 available seats.

I have filled the 10 initial seats with 4 current/returning SkyLens pilots and 6 new pilots. Those pilots have received an offer and request for documents via email already.

I have an additional pool of applicants who have completed a phone interview with me, from which I will choose the remaining pilots. If you were not chosen for a phone interview with me then you will not be in this particular pool however I will keep the entire stack of resumes on file until the fleet is fully manned. Those pilots in the pool will be notified of their status by email in the next few days. Those pilots who were sent/and returned the Pilot Info/Application sheet but were not chosen for the pool will also receive a notice this week.

The hardest part of this job is having to say "no thanks" to dozens of perfectly qualified pilots. I didn't see a single resume that I consider technically unqualified or that I wouldn't feel comfortable putting into one of our aircraft but with a 13 to 1 ratio of applicants to seats, my decisions often come down to splitting hairs.

If you didn't get in this time, don't lose hope. The two Aztecs go on-contract around Jan 1st so there will be more seats open this season, not counting any early resignations or training failures. I also have not yet received all of the signed contracts back yet and it's not uncommon that a hired pilot backs out before training starts. Stay tuned here as I will be announcing those positions on JC only.

Thanks to all who applied and good luck in your search.

Bryan Porter
Flight Ops Mgr
SkyLens

UPDATE: I received a LOT of resumés. I've stopped counting but I think it's well over 70 and I still have them coming in at the rate of 2-5 per day. At this point I've suspended processing any new resumés.

I was informed by Pictometry that there may be an equipment shortage this Fall that will mean we initially deploy only 10 Cessnas for Nov 1st instead of 12, with the remaining two expected to deploy later in November or December. It is possible that the equipment shortage is rectified and becomes a non-issue by the time training starts on Oct 15th and I may at any time receive a hard start date for those two planes but until I have a better idea of when those other two planes deploy, I am considering only 10 available seats.

I have filled the 10 initial seats with 4 current/returning SkyLens pilots and 6 new pilots. Those pilots have received an offer and request for documents via email already.

I have an additional pool of applicants who have completed a phone interview with me, from which I will choose the remaining pilots. If you were not chosen for a phone interview with me then you will not be in this particular pool however I will keep the entire stack of resumes on file until the fleet is fully manned. Those pilots in the pool will be notified of their status by email in the next few days. Those pilots who were sent/and returned the Pilot Info/Application sheet but were not chosen for the pool will also receive a notice this week.

The hardest part of this job is having to say "no thanks" to dozens of perfectly qualified pilots. I didn't see a single resume that I consider technically unqualified or that I wouldn't feel comfortable putting into one of our aircraft but with a 13 to 1 ratio of applicants to seats, my decisions often come down to splitting hairs.

If you didn't get in this time, don't lose hope. The two Aztecs go on-contract around Jan 1st so there will be more seats open this season, not counting any early resignations or training failures. I also have not yet received all of the signed contracts back yet and it's not uncommon that a hired pilot backs out before training starts. Stay tuned here as I will be announcing those positions on JC only.

Thanks to all who applied and good luck in your search.

Bryan Porter
Flight Ops Mgr
SkyLens

Holy crap! Word musta gotten out! LOL

Back