SkyLens Hiring for 2015-16 Season (new low mins)

That's awesome to hear that you got the minimums lowered! Unfortunately, I am still 16 hours shy of 250, but slowly working my way up. Do you still accept resumes throughout the season if you have a pilot leave?

You should be able to knock 16 out pretty quick.

Come up to Michigan and we will fly it out.....

I suspect I know the answer, but if you have a significant other who freelances from a computer (no kids), is there anyway people have made that work? Again, I realize this is mostly a single person's rodeo, but just curious.

I suspect I know the answer, but if you have a significant other who freelances from a computer (no kids), is there anyway people have made that work? Again, I realize this is mostly a single person's rodeo, but just curious.
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. I've had plenty of pilots with spouses /significant others. It is acceptable to have family visit you at deployments and many of the pilots have done so. You are responsible for their travel to/from and there is no guarantee you won't be abruptly relocated during a visit so that risk is on you. If you are asking if a spouse can basically travel with you full time from deployment to deployment, that would be a big negative. Pictometry has made it very clear that is not acceptable to them.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. I've had plenty of pilots with spouses /significant others. It is acceptable to have family visit you at deployments and many of the pilots have done so. You are responsible for their travel to/from and there is no guarantee you won't be abruptly relocated during a visit so that risk is on you. If you are asking if a spouse can basically travel with you full time from deployment to deployment, that would be a big negative. Pictometry has made it very clear that is not acceptable to them.

Oh, certainly I wouldn't expect anyone to physically come with me in the actual aircraft. Huge liability concerns there. I was more asking if anyone had a personal experience of how they managed it with just a spouse (no kids). I.E. once every few weeks the spouse flew out commercially to visit. As you said, it sounds pretty routine.

Bry, I'm not interested in the job but thanks for being an owner who takes good care of his equipment. As a DM, A&P, IA I can really respect that and I also have a pretty good idea what kind of costs it incurs. So good on you.

I flew for SkyLens last season. It's a great job and Bryan is a good boss. He just wants to be kept informed and really doesn't micromanage. I logged a lot of hours and gained a ton of real world experience. Great opportunity for a low time pilot and nice break from flight instructing. Now I'm sitting in the FO class for ***** airlines.

Bryan, thanks for the opportunity. It was a great season. I hope the next one is even better

I flew for SkyLens last season. It's a great job and Bryan is a good boss. He just wants to be kept informed and really doesn't micromanage. I logged a lot of hours and gained a ton of real world experience. Great opportunity for a low time pilot and nice break from flight instructing. Now I'm sitting in the FO class for ***** airlines.

Bryan, thanks for the opportunity. It was a great season. I hope the next one is even better
Thanks, Rich - I'll be looking for your PRIA paperwork. :)

Bry, I'm not interested in the job but thanks for being an owner who takes good care of his equipment. As a DM, A&P, IA I can really respect that and I also have a pretty good idea what kind of costs it incurs. So good on you.
Thanks - yeah it helps that my business partner is an A&P/IA and I'm an avionics tech. We do our own mx so are able to contain costs quite bit and put the savings into better equipment. I did what I could during the DWAS years to keep the planes up but I didn't have control of the checkbook then. It's a whole new ballgame now.

Hey Tyler! Yes the GTX330ES would satisfy the mandate but I install our avionics myself and we're not a Garmin dealer so most new Garmin stuff including 330ESs are required to be installed by a Garmin dealer, greatly increasing our cost vs a 327 that I can install. Also the 330ES does ADS-B out only and the TIS modules are being discontinued as I understand it. We want our pilots to have traffic and weather and feel like the added safety will be worth the extra money in the long run. Since I do the Avionics installs myself, I go ahead and wire-ready for the GDL88s and we can purchase those as the funds come available(possibly from the proposed government assisted ADS-B financing). Granted it will be a few years before we have all the GDL88s installed but we are spending money as fast as we make it so far so we can only do so much, so fast.
I figured you had a reason for it... That is great to hear you will be installing the GDL's for the traffic as well! I wish we would have traffic in our planes especially doing low altitude stuff.

So Heggie why not go for it?
I took a job in law enforcement. Currently a volunteer for our Sheriff's Aero Squadron. Recently had a child, the idea of being on the road for 7 months is no longer appealing to me. However, a couple years ago I would have been tripping over my own feet trying to send my resume as fast as I could!

Would anyone from SkyLens, or any aerial survey operation, be able to share what a typical day is like when you're not grounded? I'm fascinated by this work and the only thing I can compare it to is pipeline observation.

Some specific questions:
1) Do you start/stop at the same airport/FBO in a given day?
2) How do you handle maintenance, if something needs fixed do you find a shop yourself?
3) Daily tasks with the onboard imaging equipment, I imagine you have to inspect and preflight it like everything but what's that like?
4) Are you basically flying straight lines, patterns, how low/high?
5) How much coordination is there with the company on a daily basis?
6) How much coordination is there with ATC or just the usual?
7) When/where do you do your laundry?
8) Are you ever anywhere long enough to accept mail or a care package?!
9) How often do you see other company pilots?

I probably have more but these were especially sparking my curiosity.

Last edited:
Would anyone from SkyLens, or any aerial survey operation, be able to share what a typical day is like when you're not grounded? I'm fascinated by this work and the only thing I can compare it to is pipeline observation.

Some specific questions:
1) Do you start/stop at the same airport/FBO in a given day?
2) How do you handle maintenance, if something needs fixed do you find a shop yourself?
3) Daily tasks with the onboard imaging equipment, I imagine you have to inspect and preflight it like everything but what's that like?
4) Are you basically flying straight lines, patterns, how low/high?
5) How much coordination is there with the company on a daily basis?
6) How much coordination is there with ATC or just the usual?
7) When/where do you do your laundry?
8) Are you ever anywhere long enough to accept mail or a care package?!
9) How often do you see other company pilots?

I probably have more but these were especially sparking my curiosity.

I work for a different one but can answer. The answer will vary with each one.

1) You'll generally stop and start at the same airport when you're working, just because you'll be based there. Fuel stops just depend on whatever is most convenient really. However if you like the FBO or if it's a smaller mom and pop FBO sometimes I'll go a little out of the way to give them the business.

2) For the most part, yeah. Maintenance is a pretty big factor in deciding where to base.

3) Normally just cleaning lenses when they need it. Adds maybe 3 minutes to your preflight if everything is good.

4) Pretty much. I've been everywhere from 2500 to 16000

5) Not a lot. They trust us to get the projects done and work when we can. This is the part that I've seen varies the most from company to company.

6) depending on where you are there could be none or a lot. I just got done working DFW right off the departure end and it took a lot of coordinating.

7) Hotels or laundromats.

8) Yeah, but I'd splurge for at least 2 day shipping. Things change pretty quickly. Also have stuff sent to FBOs, more reliable than hotels.

9) This also varies a lot from project to project. I went about 8 months of never being by myself. Some guys with the same company went months without being with anyone. Luck of the draw.

How much flying can you expect in an average week?

An average week? Really depends on the project and weather, but when I was hitting it good this summer I'd get maybe 8 hours a day every day. I did 250 hours in a little under two months, so I dunno, maybe 40 a week average. I wouldn't worry about building time fast with this gig, and plenty cross country. I think it might've been mentioned earlier that ferrying at night is ok so long as it doesn't interfere with work, so that's a plus.

Back