SkyLens Hiring for 2015-16 Season (new low mins)

pilotbry

Since I'm already getting resumes for next season I'll go ahead and officially start accepting them. It might be a few weeks before I start seriously looking at them so don't be discouraged if you don't hear back from me right away. Please see our employment page at the following link and follow the directions exactly

http://www.skylensaerial.com/employment.html

We have successfully negotiated our insurance minimums down to 250 hours / 10 in C172 however at low mins you're going to need some other positive bullet points to make an attractive candidate.

This job isn't for everyone but some pilots absolutely love it. It is a solid 7+ month deployment with no holidays or vacations but you will build serious time and have good QOL. Your days off happen on bad weather or low ceiling days. Regular season is typically October through End of May but a few aircraft can fly well into or through the Summer. There is no policy against IFR or night flying and in general, pilots are afforded a significant amount of autonomy on the road as long as they do not betray my trust. I like to hire pilots that I do not have to micro-manage.

Our per diem amount will go up this season from $25 to $30. Rental car and single occupancy hotel room are company paid. Starting base salary is $55 per day (with a raise to $60 after 90 days) 7 days a week plus the $30 per diem. There is a graduating scale performance bonus that can net a top performer an extra $1000+ per month, plus a season completion bonus of $1000. There is a $30 per mo fee paid to pilots who maintain a tablet w/ Foreflight. Airfare is paid to/from training base. Pilots are W2 employees, not treated as 1099 Independent Contractors. You will not sign a contract UNTIL you are hired.

We have nearly doubled our fleet size since last year. The improvements continue on all aircraft but most have new interiors, some have new paint and we are slowly but surely replacing the legacy avionics with a modern radio stack including a new PSEngineering Audio panel, Garmin 430W or 530W, overhauled KX155 for a #2 and new Garmin 327 transponders. GDL88 ADS-B units are on the horizon but probably not until next year. Cessna 172s are L, M and P models but the L and Ms have the RAM 160HP engine conversion STC. Most aircraft engines have been replaced with Lycoming factory roller-tappet engines.

We have acquired two Piper Aztecs that are scheduled to go online Late December early January. The insurance mins are still a bit high for the twins so an experienced Aztec pilot with 40+ multi could walk right into one if he/she starts the season in a Cessna. We are also working on a programs to help dedicated employees get ME and MEI ratings and upgrade into the twins.

If you have a non-private question about the job, ask it in this thread as opposed to PMing me.

I look forward to another crew of fantastic pilots this season!

Bryan Porter
Owner/Flight Operations Manager
SkyLens Aerial Imaging

Also, read the instructions when sending in your resume. Don't get all excited like I did and copy the email without reading the entire post.

I can't apply due to family circumstances, but I just wanted to thank @pilotbry for putting this out to the JC crew. If I was single this would be a great fit. Good luck to all who apply. This is what this website is all about

Wow, sounds like you're really trying to give new pilots the most out of this opportunity. That's pretty awesome of you!

I can not recommend flying survey enough for low time guys. Best of luck for all that apply!

I found my job at DWAS on JC in 2008. Just paying it forward, brother.
Right on man. You sound like a cool dude to fly for, I hit almost every one of your checkboxes too, (Veteran / 100 Mutli / over 400 TT / Survey Experience / etc)
Now if only for the wife and kids...lol

Good luck to all that apply. I got my first flying job via JC as well.

Sounds like a sweet gig for a low timer. If you have low time then take it! Do not get too scared of being away from home for the season. You will look back someday and cherish the experience! I would love to have had an opportunity to build time this way.

Good luck guys, and gals!

I found my job at DWAS on JC in 2008. Just paying it forward, brother.
Sign up guys, I flew for Bryan, this is a great oppurtunity for anyone. When he says the job isn't for everyone, that's true. Bryan I couldn't understand what you went through as a chief pilot until I held that position, you have my sympathy, anyway I urge anyone to who wants to work here to do just that. Many happy days to you Bryan!

Sounds like a sweet gig for a low timer. If you have low time then take it! Do not get too scared of being away from home for the season. You will look back someday and cherish the experience! I would love to have had an opportunity to build time this way.

Good luck guys, and gals!

So Heggie why not go for it?

HIGHLY recommended. When I started 500TT were the hard minimums. GREAT opportunity for anyone with low time who doesn't want to instruct, or anyone in general who wants to build time fast. You'll get a ton of X-C time and there will be plenty of opportunities for some good IFR flying. If you want to work, you can potentilly log 800+ hours in a season. Bryan is the coolest most down to earth boss I've ever had and I would go back in a heartbeat. Best of luck to all who apply. Feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns.

For you guys who I've sent back the application form to fill out, leave the SSN field bank. I don't need that unless/until you are hired.

Bryan, good luck again this year.

For those thinking about applying, I applied last year and almost made the cut as there was a bunch of us with all similar qualifications, but from what Bryan sent me it sounded like a really great place to work.

Bryan, this is just me talking, as I am sure you guys have your reasons for doing so, but I would suggest or at least look into switching over to the GTX 330 transponders going forward as that will give you your Mode S compliance now. With the 327, the only way to get compliance is by installing a GDL 88/84 which costs more than a new GTX 330 transponder itself, so essentially you will be paying twice as much to do the 327/GDL than if you would just do a 330.

Bryan, good luck again this year.

For those thinking about applying, I applied last year and almost made the cut as there was a bunch of us with all similar qualifications, but from what Bryan sent me it sounded like a really great place to work.

Bryan, this is just me talking, as I am sure you guys have your reasons for doing so, but I would suggest or at least look into switching over to the GTX 330 transponders going forward as that will give you your Mode S compliance now. With the 327, the only way to get compliance is by installing a GDL 88/84 which costs more than a new GTX 330 transponder itself, so essentially you will be paying twice as much to do the 327/GDL than if you would just do a 330.
Hey Tyler! Yes the GTX330ES would satisfy the mandate but I install our avionics myself and we're not a Garmin dealer so most new Garmin stuff including 330ESs are required to be installed by a Garmin dealer, greatly increasing our cost vs a 327 that I can install. Also the 330ES does ADS-B out only and the TIS modules are being discontinued as I understand it. We want our pilots to have traffic and weather and feel like the added safety will be worth the extra money in the long run. Since I do the Avionics installs myself, I go ahead and wire-ready for the GDL88s and we can purchase those as the funds come available(possibly from the proposed government assisted ADS-B financing). Granted it will be a few years before we have all the GDL88s installed but we are spending money as fast as we make it so far so we can only do so much, so fast.

675 hour CPL/IFR/CFI
After reading all the review on here it sounds like a great way to build those 825+ hours I need for the ATP. Resume sent.

That's awesome to hear that you got the minimums lowered! Unfortunately, I am still 16 hours shy of 250, but slowly working my way up. Do you still accept resumes throughout the season if you have a pilot leave?

Back