Single pilot IFR, widespread fog, low fuel, do you bust MDA/DH?

Tommay85

Scenario:
-At an unplanned alternate alternate in the Midwest
-Flying a Baron
-widespread fog everywhere
-15 minutes into your 45 minute reserve
-At DH/MDA nothing insight.
-Part 23 airplane so your fuel gauges might as well not even be there.

So do you land anyways?

I'll share the details if it's really needed.

NOTE: I didn't actually do this, but it was looking like a possibility.

My personal take is that if the engines are still running at that point, I'd take a controlled crash into the wide open field that is the airport over somewhere random.

If you feel you can make another approach, might not hurt to do so. If you are in such extremis that you can't afford to go, what else are you going to do? DH, you at least have some sort of GP guidance to the deck or near to it. MDA, so long as you're past the VDP, there's a good chance you won't hit anything attached to the ground, but you are feeling your way down. Either way, unless you have a parachute and a controlled-bailout area you are certain of; you're going where the plane is going.......either you can have some control over where, or you can have the plane do it for you.

§ 91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.
(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.
(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.
(c) Each pilot in command who deviates from a rule under paragraph (b) of this section shall, upon the request of the Administrator, send a written report of that deviation to the Administrator.

There are a lot of "it depends", like what is the nearest airport with a lower minimum approach if applicable, how familiar am I with that approach, what additional weather information is available, but when push comes to shove, we do whatever gives us the greatest probability of survival.

Like Houston says, there's lots of "eh" and fuzziness in the situation.

DH implies I have some sort of vertical guidance be it RNAV LPV or ILS. If I've got it, and I'm in that much a hard spot, the airplane is landing, under control, preferably on the runway, but possibly somewhere in the POFZ instead. Either way, it's probably a better idea than going around if I am out of gas.

Eh, I'll go ahead and post up the rest of the scenario either tonight or tomorrow. I think what actually led up to almost getting into that situation would be better discussion.

I know about 91.3 of course, but I'm more interested if anyone would feel more comfortable trying another approach with 30 minutes of fuel remaining. There's a big maybe on that 30 minutes though with no way to verify.

I'll answer some of the "it depends". We'll say ILS, standard mins. No GPS. Never shot this approach before and only been to this airport a hand full of times. Another suitable field is 20 minutes away, weather is 800-2. VOR approach only.

I'll answer some of the "it depends". We'll say ILS, standard mins. No GPS. Never shot this approach before and only been to this airport a hand full of times. Another suitable field is 20 minutes away, weather is 800-2. VOR approach only.

Depends if you think you have the fuel to. If you do, try it. If the WX sounds like it's the same at the next suitable field, retry the one you're at. If you don't; as I said, you're going where the plane is going.......either you can determine that, or you can let the airplane determine that. Those are the simple choices.

I would be interested in what got you into the situation.

Was it a sudden covering of fog? Was it foggy and you blasted? Where the TAFs conditions decreasing, increasing or steady?

If it was bad wx, was there an airport you could go into with approach radar?

Frankly, I've never found Part 23 fuel gauges to be an inaccurate as everyone assumes they are. But I always base my fuel calculations on expected burn, rather than just what the gauge says. If the gauge is showing that I still have fuel left, plus my own calculations based on expected burn show that I still have fuel left, then I'd probably go to the airport with 800-2. But then again, it's unlikely that I would have burned that far into my reserve without heading that way in the first place.

Do I have the fuel to get somewhere else? If no, why not? (This is where I screwed up, or the forecast was wrong and I didn't see it coming - which means I screwed up).

If I don't have the fuel to get out of the fog land and get someplace where I can legally make it in, then I'm going to make it happen come hell or high water. Better to land under control, then flame both of them out and glide it into a foggy field. But, really, by this point, I've already screwed up, if I didn't see that fog was coming because of the temp/dewpoint spread, the local trend, and the relative humidity and didn't tanker enough fuel for the trip then I've already made a pretty big error in judgment.

If you can't make another airport you had better be breaking MDA/DA to land. Fuel emergencies not treated as emergencies can kill.

Oh, you may want to review what part 23 says about fuel guages. Huge misconception associated with fuel guages. If it isn't accurate you should definitely be squacking it.

I had a similar situation some years ago. I was out on a mission in a UH-1. Weather was to be VFR so I put the new WO1 out of flight school in the right seat with the instruments so he could get some hood time and maybe WX time if we got high enough.
Headed back to Cairns Army Airfield for an ILS and punched in the clouds. Got some holds enroute, but hey- lots of training so thought little of it. And we had plenty of gas. Over an hours worth. I then noticed several pilots coming up with approach calling the missed- but it was recovery time so they should have been full stops. I asked approach what the deal was and they said weather had dropped to something like 200-1/2. Just as he said that my 20 minute fuel light came on. Hmmm. I THOUGHT we were good on fuel... Time said I should be. Fuel gauge said I was good... But 20 minute light said otherwise. Our alternate was 30 minutes away. I briefed that we would stay on the glideslope until we landed. Most glideslopes can take you to the runway if you stay on it. Worst case if we balled it up at least crash and rescue would be right there. So I declared a fuel emergency and told the WO1 "No pressure, but I need you to fly this ILS like your life depended on it. You just stay inside, I'll look over and back you up and look for the runway. We are not going missed.". Broke out right at minimums.

You guys make a good point. Busting DH is actually the easy decision if the situation turned out as I described. How I got in that situation will be much better discussion, so here it goes and I'll try not to ramble.

The flight is FLX752(if you're bored and want to watch a 210/Baron TRY to dodge storms, haha) from OMA to STP via Fort Dodge and Mankato departing at 6:30 A.M. Weather forecast for the time of arrival when I checked was going to be 800-2 at MSP, the FA indicated that as well throughout most of Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin. Anyone who works in the MSP area regularly may remember the day I'm talking about. This was about a month ago I'd say.

That day was going to be in the Baron(Woohoo!). Anyone that's ever flown the Baron knows that with full fuel, it's useful load is absolutely worthless. So we're weight restricted with fuel all the time. Today I could take 2.5 hours of fuel plus the 45 minute reserve. So 3.2 hours total. Also, anyone that's flown the Baron knows that that there's absolutely no way to know for sure how much gas is in it unless you fill it up. Timing is the only way to estimate. A lot of trust goes into the previous pilot's knowledge of the fuel used. Which is why I expressed such emphasis on the uncertainty of the fuel level in the original post.

I'm enroute and I usually get a weather update over Fort Dodge on days like this. This is my go-no go point while enroute. Diverting anywhere else in this area is going to mean a LONG day trying to get a hotel, or sleeping on an FBO couch all day. Certain safety situations be damned, fatigue from this is worse. ANYWAYYYSSS, It's at this point I find out that underneath these clouds, fog has developed literally everywhere, not just in a few areas like it was before. MSP taf is now calling for 300-1, but is currently reporting 100-1/4 as well as every other field in the area except STP. STP is saying 300-1(right at mins for the ILS 32). That elevation change really is a blessing sometimes. I get the best information I can from FSS and determine that the Sioux Falls area is the best bet. It's VMC and forecast to stay VMC until at least noon.

Time enroute is planned to take 1.4 hours. 20 minutes to Anoka. The actual flight time matched. I got the calculator out and determined it would take 45 minutes to get to Sioux Falls. I already threw my alternate out at this point, so with the 1.4 hours to get to STP, that would give me 1.1 hours until I hit reserve after going missed in STP. Good good.

Like, I said, I shot the approach down to mins and landed no problem. It was after when I checked the weather that I found that it would have taken me an 1.2-1.3 hours to get to Sioux Falls and the weather was going to be the same as MSP, below mins. Not really a dire situation. I'll agree with that, but it sure is nerve racking as hell when you're by yourself up there with very little tools available.

SO, in that situation, with the information that was available, would have have just diverted to the Sioux Falls area while you were over Fort Dodge, or would you have done what I did and continued to STP? After typing this all out, I know the answer already, but I'm curious what others think.

Given the information I had at the time, I feel continuing to STP was the right thing to do. At the very least from an operational standpoint. Risk management wise, I'm on the fence. Pucker factor at the very least, is annoying. Finding out that had things not worked out in STP, I was going to be in the situation I described in the original post. Which I find unnerving after the fact. Taking a light twin to the runway on instruments sounds scary...

Long post is long, let me know if you need more details. All you really need to know I guess is that the weather was forecast to be fine, and then fog took three and a half states to hell in a hand basket.

Do I have the fuel to get somewhere else? If no, why not? (This is where I screwed up, or the forecast was wrong and I didn't see it coming - which means I screwed up).

If I don't have the fuel to get out of the fog land and get someplace where I can legally make it in, then I'm going to make it happen come hell or high water. Better to land under control, then flame both of them out and glide it into a foggy field. But, really, by this point, I've already screwed up, if I didn't see that fog was coming because of the temp/dewpoint spread, the local trend, and the relative humidity and didn't tanker enough fuel for the trip then I've already made a pretty big error in judgment.

The forecast I looked at prior to departing indicated the WX was going to hold steady between 800-1000 and 2 miles until noon and then the clouds were going to come down a little but there was nothing about really low vis in the MSP area, and certainly not all the way to Sioux Falls.

Forecasts are guesses. I've been caught a couple times too, but never rely on the forecast beyond the basics. I usually take a gander at the temperature dewpoint spread over a wide area to make sure I'm not going to be hosed. I usually carry enough dead dinosaurs to get to different weather if it's not beautiful with lots of nearby alternates. Nark what's that you were saying about plan C and D?

Back