Side jobs flying

phill1174

Are there any airlines/Air Lines that allow outside flying that counts towards your flight duty limit? I’ve heard of flying being approved by the CP that doesn’t count towards your flight duty limit. Apparently my shop is coming out with a LOA that would be entertain flying outside of the company that counts towards your flight duty limit (with CP approval). I have my own theories but it’s the first I’ve ever heard of something like this.

Only verbiage I have ever read is what you describe.......CP discretion, or if on furlough or approved LOA, for other paid flying (which I imagine would be a big fat no-burger in the case of the former). That being said, I don't think you need CP approval for flight time that doesn't count (i.e. GA). Interesting your shop is exploring this. I'd be interested to hear if there are other places doing the same thing

In the 121 world I haven’t heard of it but corporate world is relatively common, I had a letter of approval from my CP to fly contract in the side as long as it didnt interfere with my primary job and didn’t result in exceeding flight time limits

We weren’t allowed to fly for hire outside at american eagle. Though there were a few folks doing DPE work without apparent repercussions rolleyes.gif

F9 you could but had to report the hours if it was anything which would count towards the 117 cumulative hours.

I don't know if anything changed, but Brown had language in the flight ops manual that used the phrase "no commercial flying". Was like that for years. If you look at the FAA definition of that, you get "no flying for pay". So, even instructing could be disallowed. Later, rumors were that the companies position was that it meant "no 121 or 135" flying, leaving 91 open. Not sure if anyone pressed to test on this. I did a lot of instruction in the late 90's while at brown thinking it was a gray area but I really didn't give a crap. I'd be wary of management coming out with an LOA to address this. Those that want to do outside flying are probably already doing it on the down low. Once the LOA comes out, some will fess up, ask for permission. Now, the CP's office can say no AND they know who you are. The other argument could be that brown did relax grooming standards and tattoo's a while back and just had did a buyout to the senior guys rather than furlough. So, maybe a kinder and gentler working environment is in the future. Folks at brown could use some of that.

Outside commercial flying counts toward 121 flight time limits. It does not count toward 117 limits depending on the type of flying. Not all companies actually understand this because they did the bare minimum to understand 117.

Outside commercial flying counts toward 121 flight time limits. It does not count toward 117 limits depending on the type of flying. Not all companies actually understand this because they did the bare minimum to understand 117.

Well i guess that makes two of us......ACARS alert.......”oh crap, I guess i only have one hour left.....seemed like a pretty easy day before you said that”

In the good old days when I was flying sub 200 hrs a year I was often looking for other stuff to do, especially while on call. But ever since COVID destroyed the health care system I don’t have time.

I don't know if anything changed, but Brown had language in the flight ops manual that used the phrase "no commercial flying". Was like that for years. If you look at the FAA definition of that, you get "no flying for pay". So, even instructing could be disallowed. Later, rumors were that the companies position was that it meant "no 121 or 135" flying, leaving 91 open. Not sure if anyone pressed to test on this. I did a lot of instruction in the late 90's while at brown thinking it was a gray area but I really didn't give a crap. I'd be wary of management coming out with an LOA to address this. Those that want to do outside flying are probably already doing it on the down low. Once the LOA comes out, some will fess up, ask for permission. Now, the CP's office can say no AND they know who you are. The other argument could be that brown did relax grooming standards and tattoo's a while back and just had did a buyout to the senior guys rather than furlough. So, maybe a kinder and gentler working environment is in the future. Folks at brown could use some of that.
You make a good point. It could be to bring out the people that’s been doing it. I was thinking they’re still trying to trim some fat and this is a way to get consistent reduced guarantee takers. It’s odd for a place that loves control but I guess none of us seen them offering a years pay for people to leave early either.

I never got the side hustle people who are wheeling and dealing on the phone all trip. I guess it’s good to diversify income but I’m always thinking one open time trip would probably be more than they’re making having to do that all the time.
It seems exhausting AF. I barely like talking on the phone with friends so I definitely don’t want to be talking business during my free time or “putting out fires” on my layovers. I think some people just always have to be doing something. More power to them!

Only verbiage I have ever read is what you describe.......CP discretion, or if on furlough or approved LOA, for other paid flying (which I imagine would be a big fat no-burger in the case of the former). That being said, I don't think you need CP approval for flight time that doesn't count (i.e. GA). Interesting your shop is exploring this. I'd be interested to hear if there are other places doing the same thing
I doubt any of the pax carriers would entertain something like this especially if they’re already short. We’re still trimming fat and I think they’re getting creative without putting people on the street and having it cost them.

I was thinking they’re still trying to trim some fat and this is a way to get consistent reduced guarantee takers.
I never thought of that. I'd have killed to take a bid period off without pay in my last ten years. I put in for it but always rejected due to staffing levels. I'm grateful I saw the glory days of reserve in ONT where we worked 5 out of 14 on A. I could live with that, too. What you say about brown looking for more folks to take time off without pay and RDG makes a lot of sense.

I find it fascinating how much people love airplanes and to fly non stop.
I know someone that owns a plane and still flight instructs all the time. I don't know how you can be on reserve working min days off, fly your own plane, and flight instruct all with a family but he does it. If it works out then I guess that is all that matters.

I can't judge too harshly since I thought about possibly doing some instructor work on the side as well. No hardcore instructing. Maybe find a 141 that needs a stage check guy or something.

I also know someone that flies and then comes home and plays Flight Sim. I don't get it.

I know someone that owns a plane and still flight instructs all the time.
I also know someone that flies and then comes home and plays Flight Sim.
nerds-mad.gif

Back