LATech_ADX

I'm in the June class at Sheffield and straight out of college with my Aviation Management degree and PP certificate. I've been reading all about these threads and which schools, but I just want to see if anyone has a few tips for me before I begin. I've heard "it's fast paced", "take the ADX test before you arrive", "lots of information in a short time". I've already been studying the Gleim ATP book and sailed through all the information which wasn't hard at all, but instrument knowledge is confusing. So, all of the seasoned dispatchers, what little tips could you give the new guy starting out and maybe tips for first job.

Thanks in advance!

Be prepared for bad jokes, and bring a sweater if you're "not from around these parts." Classroom temps were a solid 60 degrees - LOL. Was GREAT for me -- I was reminded of home.

Yes, getting the ADX out of the way as fast as humanly possible doesn't hurt. And the instructors down there do a good job helping classes through that first week.

I've heard "it's fast paced", "take the ADX test before you arrive", "lots of information in a short time". I've already been studying the Gleim ATP book and sailed through all the information which wasn't hard at all

All correct thoughts/assumptions. Deep breaths, relax, take some time to enjoy the 2:23PM thunderstorms. If it comes naturally to you, you'll have no problem at all.

Agreed with Burrito; if it comes naturally, you'll be fine. I just graduated Sheffield a month ago myself, so hopefully I can chime in.

I would recommend getting the ADX out of the way. It is included in the course tuition, but $150 spent extra would have been worth it IMO. The course is fast paced (I feel bad for someone with no aviation knowledge/background), so while you are bringing in more and more info you're also faced with studying for and worrying about the ADX, and everyone knows how the ADX can be. Personally I did very well in the course. Enjoy the town and your free time on the weekend but stay grounded and you'll great.

I can't elaborate on your other questions too much, but enjoy! Any questions PM me; feels like I literally just left.

I passed easily enough with no aviation background. Studying ahead of time for the ADX was really important...they don't spend much time at all in class covering ADX test questions. I took the test during 2nd week of class. Take it as soon as you can pass it....the farther the class goes the more time you will need to be studying other stuff. A few other classmates failed the course because they didn't have time to study both ADX and other materials. Ha, what Burrito said about the bad jokes...

I didn't go to Sheffield, but I agree on getting the ADX out of the way early. I did mine about halfway through the course and felt like it took up too much valuable real estate in the brain. Knock out the ADX, purge most of it, then learn the important stuff.

Or you could do an accelerated 1 week/2 week course and take the ADX before beginning the residency portion. FWIW, that's what I did and knocking the written out early was a HUGE help. One guy in my class couldn't handle studying for both and didn't make it. If I had the extra $$$ lying around I would've done the 5 weeker because, ultimately, you'll get your cert sooner that way. Just throwing it out there as another option.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Back