Self-ground or not?

slim

I had Stage 4 colon cancer 5+ years ago. Fortunately, I am in remission complete with a first class medical. Bad news is: the FAA sent me a letter requesting that I get a CT scan (chest, abdomen, pelvis). No problem and done. The twist is that they found a couple lympnodes in my chest swollen and "highly suspicious". They are worth a PET and possibly biopsy. No symptoms. Blood tests "perfect" w/ no markers. I am slated for a PET soon.
Questions is:
Do I need to ground myself?
In the letter giving me a special issuance it states:
"Because of your history of colon cancer.... operation of aircraft is prohibited at any time new symptoms or adverse changes occur...."
My contention is:
1. I have no symptoms (feel great, no difficulty with anything physical). 2. The findings are not adverse (just a two suspicious lymph nodes). 3. I am going to get a PET within a couple weeks to define the situation more clearly.
Thus, unless (God forbid) PET results provide damning info, I don't do anything. In the meantime don't self-ground. Don't mention anything. Then, send along all the reports CT and PET once complete.
I could imagine the feds not smiling on my lack of communication regarding the CT results. On the other hand, why give them fodder to get all fussy about?
Anyone in-the-know, would love input! Thanks much!

First, what a bummer that the swollen lymph nodes cropped up. Hope that it's unrelated to the past cancer diagnosis, and keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Second, I'm not an AME, so I can't comment with authority, but a) lots of things cause swollen lymph nodes, and b) you didn't say the physician said "swollen lymph nodes are a new symptom or an adverse change." Were it me, I'd take the position that these two things mean you don't have to report it. Again, just opinion.

I had Stage 4 colon cancer 5+ years ago. Fortunately, I am in remission complete with a first class medical. Bad news is: the FAA sent me a letter requesting that I get a CT scan (chest, abdomen, pelvis). No problem and done. The twist is that they found a couple lympnodes in my chest swollen and "highly suspicious". They are worth a PET and possibly biopsy. No symptoms. Blood tests "perfect" w/ no markers. I am slated for a PET soon.
Questions is:
Do I need to ground myself?
In the letter giving me a special issuance it states:
"Because of your history of colon cancer.... operation of aircraft is prohibited at any time new symptoms or adverse changes occur...."
My contention is:
1. I have no symptoms (feel great, no difficulty with anything physical). 2. The findings are not adverse (just a two suspicious lymph nodes). 3. I am going to get a PET within a couple weeks to define the situation more clearly.
Thus, unless (God forbid) PET results provide damning info, I don't do anything. In the meantime don't self-ground. Don't mention anything. Then, send along all the reports CT and PET once complete.
I could imagine the feds not smiling on my lack of communication regarding the CT results. On the other hand, why give them fodder to get all fussy about?
Anyone in-the-know, would love input! Thanks much!

1) Check with an AME
2) You can have symptoms without ever feeling a thing. People with glaucoma "feel great" right up to the moment where they start losing their vision
3) Your letter didn't say "ok to fly as long as you feel great". Err on the side of caution. Better to self-ground and not need to than not do it and have the FAA do it for you.

1) Check with an AME
2) You can have symptoms without ever feeling a thing. People with glaucoma "feel great" right up to the moment where they start losing their vision
3) Your letter didn't say "ok to fly as long as you feel great". Err on the side of caution. Better to self-ground and not need to than not do it and have the FAA do it for you.

Spoke to several AME's and unanimous consensus was ground. #3 pretty well covers it. Thanks for the input...

Back