Scottsdale again.....

[ QUOTE ]
Mayor Mary Manross added: "We are looking at reality. And reality says, the law says, we must approve these plats."

[/ QUOTE ]

yea yea... you MUST approve the plats so you can kill people! that makes perfect sense in the reason why I will not be voting for her re-election....

hey - we should get liebo (dave liebowitz 620 KTAR) to bring mary manross and cynthia lukas on the air to debate over this problem! wouldn't that be interesting!!

More responses:

A very flaccid excuse:

Douglas,
The City of Scottsdale LOST a major multi-million dollar lawsuit
to Kemper Marley ( later to become DC Ranch). We are prohibited from
up zoning or down zoning their property in accordance with the decree.

Thank you for your comments.
David Ortega

Unfortunately, he's one of the allies trying to bring a halt to the $60,000,000 subsidy to build a Wal Mart.

A slightly better one:

Mr. Taylor:

I too am very disappointed with this shortsighted decision made by my
colleagues. I notice that you addressed your email to me -- I hope that you
also sent it to my colleagues.

Councilman Bob Littlefield

[ QUOTE ]
Kemper Marley

[/ QUOTE ]

Any longtime AZ residents remember who Kemper Marley is (was)?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kemper Marley

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob's brother?

No, Dan's brother!

No, that was Majerle, but it was pronounced the same way...

Do I get partial credit?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kemper Marley

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob's brother?

No, Dan's brother!

No, that was Majerle, but it was pronounced the same way...

Do I get partial credit?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. No. Kemper Marley was a liquor magnate who passed away in the late 1980s. There was rumor and some evidence that he was involved in money laundering from PHX dog tracks, and was had ordered the killing of AZ Republic investigative journalist Don Bolles in 1976 (Bolles's car had been blown up).

Big case in Arizona since the triggermen were caught, but it still can't be proven who was behind the killing. I just hadn't heard the Marley name in a long time, and it somewhat suprised me.

Ecton, complaints send wrong message to military

Ecton, complaints send wrong message to military

Sept. 30, 2003 12:00 AM

If Wayne Ecton were just another citizen in Scottsdale, his declaration that military jets are not welcome at Scottsdale Municipal Airport would amount to nothing more than a muted gripe uttered around the office water cooler.

As a member of the City Council, however, his words carry a lot of the same meaning as signs posted in windows by proprietors hostile to members of the armed forces: "Soldiers, sailors and dogs keep out."

Ecton issued a formal apology under a barrage of criticism from his constituents, but whether it is accepted remains to be seen. It is extremely difficult to unring a bell.

Ecton apparently reflected the sentiments of Scottsdale residents annoyed by the noise of six F-18 jet fighters operated by the Navy and Marine Corps that made refueling stops at the airport in recent weeks. Rick Luango, who lives close to the airport, said some of the jets "scared the living daylights" out of his wife as she was taking a shower.

True enough, military jets are noisier on takeoff than the corporate passenger jets that commonly come and go at the airport, but surely a Scottsdale resident with even the most sensitive ears and easily jangled nerves can put up once in a while with what amounts to a sound of freedom. The roar can even be comforting.

When an Air Force F-16 made a low pass over the burning Pentagon on Sept 11, 2001, survivors and rescue crews on the ground joined in a loud cheer, thankful for being protected from another flying bomb that might be headed their way. Combat infantry soldiers in wars from Korea to Iraq also have been elated by the roar of close-support fighter jets flashing overhead.

Ecton and his small following apparently fail to realize that fighter jets do not simply materialize in the sky at the hour they are desperately needed. They show up in the right place at the right time because of hours upon hours of combat crew training. That vital process no doubt brought the F-18s to Scottsdale Airport. It's only a guess, but there may have been another reason: The military may be checking out the potential of operating during a crisis from secondary airports not likely to be prime targets of a terrorist attack.

No matter the reason for the military jet use of the airport, some people will complain, those who apparently seek to defy the three rules of real estate purchases: location, location, location. They buy homes close to an airport, then start complaining about aircraft noise as soon as a telephone is installed. That sort of complaint contributed to the closing of Williams Air Force Base east of Chandler and imperils the future of Luke Air Force Base on the west side.

The military is sensitive to the public's complaints. Flight patterns have been altered at military air bases, including Luke, to mitigate noise. Once the word gets around the operations rooms of military squadrons, commanders and briefing officers will put the Scottsdale Airport off limits unless there is some compelling military reason to use it. So it won't be necessary for Ecton to campaign for big letters painted on the Scottsdale Airport runway: NO MILITARY.

With the United States at war, however, all of Scottsdale ought to welcome jet fighters. The complainers can continue to grouse about the flocks of corporate jets hauling millionaires to Scottsdale for a weekend of golf or whatever, even though those flights doubtless contribute mightily to the tourist business. Scottsdale can deal with the fun birds in whatever way it chooses.

For now, however, the City Council should promptly enact a resolution - even with Ecton presumably voting no - that welcomes the military to Scottsdale Airport, or anywhere in the city, and dispatch it to the Department of Defense asking that it be circulated to posts, camps, stations and bases around the world.

Jay Brashear was a reporter, editorial writer and editor of the editorial page for The Phoenix Gazette, retiring after 39 years with that newspaper. He can be reached at scottsdalebuzz@yahoo.com. The views expressed are those of the author.

Re: Even more SDL.........

Does it ever end with this airport? Seriously. WTF.

Comeon John, you know SNOTTSdale - they never give up till they get what they want...

I know ... I just keep hoping that one day all the idiots will wake up dead ... that darwinism really does exist!
grin.gif

I can hope, can't I?
tongue.gif
crazy.gif

People that complain about the airpark are like people that move here in the winter time and bitch about the repressive heat here in the summer.

Why, on earth, would you move to the desert and then complain about it being 110F in July?

Are they going to boycot mother nature and file a lawsuit against her?
smile.gif
_

[ QUOTE ]
Are they going to boycot mother nature and file a lawsuit against her? _

[/ QUOTE ] I'm waitin for someone to file a lawsuit like that - who would pay her bills???? just like that guy who wanted to sue the cable company for making him and his family fat... hahaha
grin.gif

How about a "Class Action Law Suite" against all the realtor companies that sell houses around the airport, knowing full well that noise is part of the buy. While we are at it, let's go after the developers that knowingly excluded a clause in the original buyers contract stating:

“Buyer and future buyers of said parcel of land are, from here on and forever, excluded from initiating any action, law suite, or grievance, for relief from noise and or sounds and or lights, that originate from or in the air and or physical space above said parcel, whether from natural, artificial, or man made flying device.”

[ QUOTE ]
"The city's efforts to ignore us have reached a new low," wrote Nick Luongo to Scottsdale city officials and staff.

Luongo is spearheading a grass-roots effort to close Scottsdale Airport through a citizens initiative. He lives in Ironwood Village, which is about two miles from the airport and directly in line with the runway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This dumb@$$ moves into a neighborhood directly in-line with an airport (one of the busiest in the nation no less) and now he wants to close it because it "bothers him?"

Screw him, his wife and his idiot children. Seriously, I hope he gets hate f***ked by a rhinocerous.

I love this quote...
[ QUOTE ]
"They can also call us and e-mail us," Littlefield said. "Nick Luongo certainly isn't shy about e-mailing us on an hourly basis."

[/ QUOTE ] obviously the city council guys are pissed off at him and probably a lot more folks like us are pissed off at the guy too for not just admitting that he made a mistake by moving into that neighborhood! haha

I've already decided Cynthia Lukas is not getting my vote - because she doesn't support the airport AND for the Los Arcos deal.... In my opinion, she's done a really crappy job this year and I hope she loses big time!
grin.gif

How could you tell I was mad?
cool.gif

Yeah I caught that quote too. Some people are just jerks and this Luongo character qualifies as numero uno in this area, IMHO. I just don't understand how someone can move in next to something then have the nerve to complain about it. People in chicago who live next to the "L" don't try and get the "L" shutdown. Folks who live near farms don't try to get the cows put down because their "by-products" smell. So why do we tolerate idiots who move in next to airports and then complain about noise?

I just don't get it. I guess I'm too naive.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
How could you tell I was mad?
cool.gif

Yeah I caught that quote too. Some people are just jerks and this Luongo character qualifies as numero uno in this area, IMHO. I just don't understand how someone can move in next to something then have the nerve to complain about it. People in chicago who live next to the "L" don't try and get the "L" shutdown. Folks who live near farms don't try to get the cows put down because their "by-products" smell. So why do we tolerate idiots who move in next to airports and then complain about noise?

I just don't get it. I guess I'm too naive.
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to pay a visit to this Nick character when I get back?

Hmmmm. Ironwood Village seems a nice place to move into...right next door to him...with my collection of heavy military trucks..which all need work....at all hours of the day...and night.
laugh.gif

Back