Scope Bribe

I didn't get to ask a question, they cut it off after an hour, but the biggest thing I got from the call was if apa doesn't say yes by tomorrow afternoon the company will start the arbitration process.
They answered mine. I used the web chat function while listening on my phone. I asked toward the end so it seemed they favored the web chat questions.

Can someone explain the healthcare excise tax? I don't pay attention to politics (besides laughing at pilots who vote republican). If it's such a big concession how much is it going to cost me? A single dude with no kids in good health. I have no clue.
The tax will be imposed on 2018 for plans with premiums in excess of the thresholds, and includes employee and employer contributions to FSA', HRA's and health savings accounts. They can't directly pass the tax to the employee.

This explains a lot: http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/...erations+For+Employers+With+Unionized+Workers

No, it's definitely not good for the senior people. Say you're a senior guy, your last two legs get canceled, and now you have the opportunity to get home a day earlier than planned. You show up at the gate to non-rev or jumpseat, and some jackwagon 20 years junior to you has the seat reserved. Pure BS.

Seniority over all else. It's the great equalizer.

Nah, in that case (and I've had it happen to me where I DIDN'T make the flight because of this), the senior guy will get the jumpseat. If the back is full of revenue customers and you listed the day prior, checked in and everything, you could STILL not make it on if someone senior to you shows up for the jumpseat. We can't reserve jumpseats, so if the back is full, it's all seniority based. I agree with @PhilosopherPilot . I like this system way better than the Delta/CAL/SWA systems I've been under before. I've never seen the senior guy NOT make it home.

Nah, in that case (and I've had it happen to me where I DIDN'T make the flight because of this), the senior guy will get the jumpseat. If the back is full of revenue customers and you listed the day prior, checked in and everything, you could STILL not make it on if someone senior to you shows up for the jumpseat. We can't reserve jumpseats, so if the back is full, it's all seniority based. I agree with @PhilosopherPilot . I like this system way better than the Delta/CAL/SWA systems I've been under before. I've never seen the senior guy NOT make it home.

Why should the senior guy get stuck on the jumpseat when there's a comfortable seat in back?

Why should the senior guy get stuck on the jumpseat when there's a comfortable seat in back?

Re-read what I said. "If the back is full of revenue passengers" is in there. Every airline has it's own policies. Some are good, some are bad. For the most part, I hear zero complaints here because everyone is clear on how it works and everyone follows the rules. I've actually got enough seniority at this point that if I went back to commuting I could find myself in this situation. I know how the system works, so if the junior guy gets the seat in the back and I wind up on the jumpseat, no problem. At least I'm getting home. I've NOT made a flight home because I had a flight cancel that let me go home early, more junior guys were checked in and everyone else was senior to me and got jumpseats. If someone is gonna pitch a fit and throw down the "I'm senior" at the last minute when the system doesn't work for them, that guy is a douchebag. I've seen plenty of that happen in the Delta system, and it's one of the major reasons I hope I never have to work for that airline. I've never seen our pilots be any less than accommodating and willing to help out either our pilots or pilots from other airlines in catching a ride. Most of even the super senior guys I've commuted with will take the jumpseat (or even the FA jumpseat) if it means getting someone else on the flight.

Here is a segment from Youtube from Roger Pollack, a labor Lawyer from Bredhoff Kaiser in Washington DC. It is a discussion about arbitration to the APFA, who have a similar contract clause in their MOU.

Let's not forget that as of now 50% of all reserve lines are long call, and in 2015 that will jump down to the minimum of 20%, and this is being done because 1. It's what we negotiated in the MTA and 2. This is a result of us getting the 12/13 days off per month. Long call will soon be a 12/13 day off line instead of the only being used 9 to 10 days a month. I was looking at option 63 last night and being here a year and 5 months I won't be able to hold long call in CLT as of right now.

I haven't heard this 20% thing before. Is it in black and white that way?
Yup, in the MOU/MTA that 20% of reserve lines must be long call.
This came from a rep, and it makes sense unfortunately.
Y'all wanted the extra days off in the MOU? Let's start following it, including the 20% long call provision.

This is a huge quality of life hit.

4. Reserve Lines - Bidding and Awarding

a. b. c.

Long Call Reserve Lines

(1) Long Call reserve lines will represent, at a minimum, twenty percent (20%) of all reserve lines awarded in a particular four-part bid status for a contractual month.

You bet it is, if it comes to be. I haven't heard of the 12/13 day thing going into effect until PBS. I wouldn't expect any changes until then with R reserves either. Unless you have it in writing I wouldn't believe it.

You bet it is, if it comes to be. I haven't heard of the 12/13 day thing going into effect until PBS. I wouldn't expect any changes until then with R reserves either. Unless you have it in writing I wouldn't believe it.
The union has said the 12/13 day off will be coming most likely in January 2015, this is from the phl domicile meeting a couple weeks back. The company was initially crying about staffing, but it looks like the 20% thing "fixes" their staffing concerns. I wish I was as optimistic as you but it makes too much sense.

This may change my bid before this Feb bid closes. This could be a game changer.
Same here, I was planning on CLT as the commute is a ton better. Unfortunately we won't know the January reserve lines until after the bid is out. With only 29 long call lines those guys will be working their butt off.

Exercising seniority does not make someone a "douchebag." The guy who thinks he shouldn't be able to exercise his seniority is the douchebag.

That's not how our system works. If you show your ass because you don't like how the system works, you're a douchebag. That's fairly straightforward.

Seniority gets you the jumpseat. Nonrev is in order of check in. Most people check in for the flight they think they will get, so they are at the top of that list also.

But if for some reason they didn't, their seniority protects them for the jumpseat. Plus, there are 5 jumpseats available on our A320s if you count the FA seats. Rarely do you get left behind, especially since we don't oversell seats. It's a serious bad day if you do. People know the deal, and don't show their ass, ever.

I believe the 20% of lines must be long call sets that as the floor of it. The company could, if they wish, have more, which would benefit them by being able to pay 73 vs. 76 hours a month. That said, I'm sure the company would much prefer everyone sitting short call, and no one sitting long call. You are more useful that way.

Having LC lines now is a moot point in PHL, as they transition at will as it is.

It's certainly going to be a game changer if I have to back to sitting short call, or working every four out of six days of avail.

Last edited:
Back