ROLL CALL 2, the JC military

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's just say I am gonna bust my rear-end for T-38 track select. After that, I really can't think of an undesireable aircraft assignment. But my dream is the A-10, and thats not just a kiss up to Mike D. Its

[/ QUOTE ]

They might not be around for you to select, unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mikey,

Are the A-10 ANG units projected to be around for a few years?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's just say I am gonna bust my rear-end for T-38 track select. After that, I really can't think of an undesireable aircraft assignment. But my dream is the A-10, and thats not just a kiss up to Mike D. Its

[/ QUOTE ]

They might not be around for you to select, unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mikey,

Are the A-10 ANG units projected to be around for a few years?

[/ QUOTE ]

They should be since they get separate funding. Active duty is the one that's going to take the hit.

[ QUOTE ]
Ill see you in Tucson then. Oh and I always thought helos were boring until the Army gave me an incentive ride in a Blackhawk over Iraq. They fly so low in the Army and they would bank so hard that the rotor blades looked to be feet off the ground. Really changed my mind about helicopters that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it amazing that helos tend to be the least desirable choice in most of the military. I'd love to fly a fighter, but I have always thought helo flying was the most fun I've ever done.

You're not low until you have to clean leaves and branches off of the nose.

Don't forget "water taxi" where you float in the water while still hovering.

Then there are mainmount landings, where your nose wheel may be hanging out into space while your mains are resting on a cliff.

Zipping around at Mach 2 must be cool, but I'd rather play in the mud with the grunts.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Zipping around at Mach 2 must be cool, but I'd rather play in the mud with the grunts.
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch out....we drink out water from canteens more than Camel Backs - whether it's hot outside or not!!!
grin.gif

Hey Mike,

Haven't you heard that the A-10s are getting all the digital upgrades and engines upgrades that we've been wanting for a long time. I heard it's just around the corner....maybe MM will make it happen. The A-10s will be around till 2030....yeah right.....enjoy the stinkbug, then "OMAHA, ready for takeoff".

BJ

Mike update the roll call list please. I still don't show up.

Is there any truth to a rumor I heard from an army type that the A10s will be handed over to the army when the AF is done with them? I find it hard to believe. However, the source in question is highly questionable himself. Yeah- army of one and all that jazz. Sorry had to incite a little inter-service rivalry but that is where I'll leave it.

Unofficially, the Army is probably one of the reasons that the AF still has A-10s. The AF probably knows that as soon as they say they're getting rid of them the Army would scoop up their newest "flying tank". The AF wants to have the monopoly on fixed-wing CAS.

Engine upgrades? There's nothing wrong with the TF-34! Powered the mighty War Hoover, it did...'course, we run ours hotter than the chair force...
laugh.gif

I figure since im on the site enough i might as well finally post to try and make the list =-D Im currently an E-3 Loadmaster going onto air force special ops as soon as im done with training here in little rock. Although my longterm goal is grasping a pilot slot and flying in the front of the plane instead of the back. Are there any officers in here that were prior service? If so i'd love any insight you have...

I guess I will play too. Like Hawker, I am a loadmaster in training here at Little Rock AFB - I am an E-3 stationed at Channel Islands ANG base. It is going to be about 6 months until I am back there, so I guess this is home away from home!

Hey Mike,
I just noticed your post and you left me out
smile.gif
Add me to the rolls, E-5 USMC.
cool.gif
I think the whole Air America idea will be good to go.

[ QUOTE ]
Mike,
I work in Intel (HUMINT). Mostly always with an ITT team attached to an infantry unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Updated. Thanks!

We've surely got a very diverse unit here.

Ha! Playing in the mud with the grunts is what I do best (ask my wife ....)

Seriously though, that gets old really quickly.

Life in an infantry platoon is all about no sleep; pounding headaches; burning your hands on the barrel of a hot MAG58; skinning your knuckles (cos they drag on the ground!); sweat in your eyes in the daytime, and shivering in your pit at night; no sleep; "great coats on - great coats off" (do you blokes in the US services say that?); cold meals from tins; stinking like nobody's business; no sleep; blisters; sand and mud and dust and flies and mosquitoes and snakes and spiders; no sleep; being surrounded by vomiting air sick diggers in the back of a Herc; and finally did I mention NO SLEEP?

Mmm, sounds like the basis of a recruiting commercial!

[ QUOTE ]
Ha! Playing in the mud with the grunts is what I do best (ask my wife ....)

Seriously though, that gets old really quickly.

Life in an infantry platoon is all about no sleep; pounding headaches; burning your hands on the barrel of a hot MAG58; skinning your knuckles (cos they drag on the ground!); sweat in your eyes in the daytime, and shivering in your pit at night; no sleep; "great coats on - great coats off" (do you blokes in the US services say that?); cold meals from tins; stinking like nobody's business; no sleep; blisters; sand and mud and dust and flies and mosquitoes and snakes and spiders; no sleep; being surrounded by vomiting air sick diggers in the back of a Herc; and finally did I mention NO SLEEP?

Mmm, sounds like the basis of a recruiting commercial!

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, do I miss all of that. It was the best (and worst) time of my life all at the same time. Where could you get such enjoyment. Honestly, I would do it all again if I had to. The comraderie in an infantry platoon is second to none, and I have made friends that I can count on for a lifetime. When we fought it was never for politics or because of orders, but for the Marine next to me, because if I did not do my job he might fall. Just my $0.02. Semper Fi everyone.

[ QUOTE ]

Let me go ahead and answer for Grabo and myself. We're navy nuke chiefs. We don't really do the PT thing. Give us a call at the CPO club when you get finished. We will try to be somewhat sober.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, why even try?

grin.gif
bandit.gif

Back