Restricted Privileges ATP certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it says in black in white that it only applies to those with an aviation degree.

Be at least 21 years old, hold a commercial pilot certificate with instrument rating, successfully complete a new ATP Certification Training Program, pass ATP knowledge and practical tests, and for military pilots, have a minimum of 750 hours total time as a pilot, or for a graduate of an aviation degree program, have a minimum of 1,000 hours total time as a pilot.

Not final, waiting for "the administrator", private and instrument training while acquiring a 4 year degree in aviation related major from an accredited school, maybe AABI perhaps, to top it all off.

Play the wait and see if the FAA reduces the age requirement for unrestricted ATP, I'd imagine. Otherwise, 23.

Don't agree with any of it. Just keep ATP minimums where they are. Age and all. If this HR is all about safety, then reduced hiring minimums for graduates of university aviation programs doesn't even make sense. They have just as little (or less in some cases) aviation experience than those that have other degrees or those that go to the local FBO for training. It just doesn't make sense. I guess it just goes to show you that money talks and Universities have a lot of it. :smoke:

chrisreedrules said:
Don't agree with any of it. Just keep ATP minimums where they are. Age and all. If this HR is all about safety, then reduced hiring minimums for graduates of university aviation programs doesn't even make sense. They have just as little (or less in some cases) aviation experience than those that have other degrees or those that go to the local FBO for training. It just doesn't make sense. I guess it just goes to show you that money talks and Universities have a lot of it. :smoke:

+1

I wasn't replying to that... But I don't see the point in raising the hour requirement to 3,000TT. That will honestly strangle the aviation business in the long run. I think it should just stay at 1,500TT and 23 despite what background a pilot comes from. Let companies decide who they wish to hire based off of education etc... It shouldn't be the feds job to determine who gets what privileges based on their training background. Most of the guys/gals I've met from these programs aren't any better aviators than anyone else.

23 is bad enough thinking someone that age could potentially be a captain at a 121 airline. Experience in a plane isnt all that is required at that point. Do you still live at home? Captains need big boy pants

No. What about a 40 year old with 1500 TT VS a 21 year old with 3000?

And some may argue "But they have Turbine Transition courses and Accelerated Jet Training programs or systems training on the RJs and CRJs etc..." To that I say anyone can buy that training. I've had a turbine transition course and and KA systems training taught by trained professionals and I didn't go to a local aviation university for my ratings or degree. Anyone can pay for almost any kind of training they want. In the end, just because your degree is aviation-related and you have ERAU or UND on your degree doesn't really mean anything except you paid a lot of money for your degree, and you have limited the forward potential of your career by not getting a degree that you can fall back on in worst case scenarios. I've learned a lot in life and I certainly know that putting all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea. Life can change on a dime whether you want it to or not and it just doesn't make sense to me that the FAA would condone the kinds of programs that promote this mode of thinking. Just my .02. I'll get my 1,500 and then maybe my ATP and be proud of the work I put into it. Then again I'm not dying to work for a regional and I don't have SJS. I like my 172s and my KA200 I fly on occasion. They keep me happy for right now.

I'm 18, and I agree with the rule. I'm in no hurry to get upfront in a big jet with all the people who I don't know at all in the back. The age requirement is there for maturity in my opinion. If you're that special at age 21 why don't you go get a degree and fly cargo or something? Don't just look at the airlines.... People have told you before, just enjoy the ride dude.

Still don't agree with this... It should just be 1,500 across the board except for military.

Why? How many pilots come out of the military without having flown 1500 hours? A pilot slot is what, an 8+ year commitment? You're telling me a military pilot doesn't fly 200 hours a year?

Why? How many pilots come out of the military without having flown 1500 hours? A pilot slot is what, an 8+ year commitment? You're telling me a military pilot doesn't fly 200 hours a year?

A lot of times... no.

Keep in mind, some of those years might be spent flying a desk and getting a few hours a month for currency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back