Restricted Privileges ATP certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struck a nerve, nope. To be honest flying ability has nothing to do with age.

Really did not annoy me at all since you are the one judging and making ignorant statements.

To be honest this world is full of people that think like you, and I love proving them wrong :)

You didn't even address what we both were referring to... Being a good stick and rudder pilot does not equate to being able to manage a crew.

You didn't even address what we both were referring to... Being a good stick and rudder pilot does not equate to being able to manage a crew.

How would you know? I highly doubt your statement. Do you have any statistics or peer reviewed articles of this statement about young people cannot lead or manage?

rframe

Pretty sad remark there. Think what you want. It is a free world :)

Not gonna sit and argue, cannot change the way you think.

Struck a nerve, nope. To be honest flying ability has nothing to do with age.

Really did not annoy me at all since you are the one judging and making ignorant statements.

To be honest this world is full of people that think like you, and I love proving them wrong :)

Please enlighten us, what worldly experience do you have that makes you believe that a 21 year old can be PIC in an airliner? Have you flown in such operations? All were saying is there is alot more than flying, actually flying is about 30% of the equation and the responsibility is not to be taken lightly or take on too soon.

How would you know? I highly doubt your statement. Do you have any statistics or peer reviewed articles of this statement about young people cannot lead or manage?
Life has taught me much... And other people's lives have taught me more. Being great at what you do is the building block for being an excellent leader. But there are some things that just take time. Maybe you should go ask your daddy if he thinks young folks are better qualified than life-seasoned adults. I'll bet he won't give you any peer reviewed articles. And I didn't say young people don't make good leaders.

This seems to be a recurring theme on this thread regarding young folks. Just because you think you are qualified to sit left seat doesn't mean you are. And just because you might be qualified to sit left seat doesn't make every other young pilot out there with the same hours and requirements met as you just as qualified. Do you really think they should make an exception just for you?

chrisreedrules

I am not flaming you at all, so do not take it that way.

But what kind of experiences are you basing your accusations on? Have you flown 121? Have you CFI'd?

ClarkGriswold said:
I know a few people under 23 and I was talking about being a CA not an FO. I will admit I do not know a whole lot about the NPRM and when I see ATP I think CA. Did you go to college, or did you move out because commuting to some insane outstation wouldnt work? I have noticed a huge difference with peoples maturity levels in the short 21-25 year range. You may be a competent pilot but there is a different mindset when you are Capytan.

No, I bought a house where I used to work and am based at a major airport down south. I commute from home to my base. I moved out because I found a nice place in my budget and didn't plan on living with mommy and daddy my entire life.

I had a conversation in this vein with Boris Badenov whilst noticing that it was 3am and there were no clocks in the bar...

My present CFI is an early-entry-to-aviation 21-year-old. And I will admit, I was slightly wary of working with him because MOST (not all) of my prior CFI-Student experiences have been with guys in their 50s. One of the others was mhcasey when I first moved to Austin. And I found him to be an excellent stick, mature guy (moreso than I) and a fine instructor. Guess what? He's flying Vipers now.

Anyway, my present CFI is, in my estimation, a very competent and mature pilot. He seems to make good decisions and he's very good at explaining the rationale for them as he's been helping me knock off my wing-rust. He also has a high degree of social/emotional intelligence - something that I find lacking in a lot of younger folks due to nothing but experience.That's not a dig on anyone at all...it's just that people develop those senses at different rates and in my estimation he's ahead of most of his peer group that I've met.

I've no doubt that there are 21, 22, 23-year olds out there who have the skills and maturity to handle a 121-flight as the sole CA/PIC. I have no doubt (call it absolute certainty) that there are 40-year olds I wouldn't trust to operate a Nerf truck in a padded room.

I know - beyond the shadow of a doubt - that I did not have the maturity to handle that kind of responsibility at the age of 21. And I also know - beyond the shadow of a doubt - that I thought I did.

For whatever that's worth.

I've got an aviation degree from a reputable college, but except for my PPL everything was done pt 61. Unfortunately for me, even if it is approved I won't benefit. Is that still the case or has it been amended? My 141 school was an abomination, 61 worked best given the alternative.

chrisreedrules

I am not flaming you at all, so do not take it that way.

But what kind of experiences are you basing your accusations on? Have you flown 121? Have you CFI'd?
I have had 8+ years of management experience including owning my own business with 2 store fronts for several years. I managed retail store fronts and tours (an entire beast in and of itself). My experience as a pilot has little to do with my thinking on leadership. I think life experience breeds leadership, not proficiency in performing a skill.

No, I bought a house where I used to work and am based at a major airport down south. I commute from home to my base. I moved out because I found a nice place in my budget and didn't plan on living with mommy and daddy my entire life.

Right on.

I have had 8+ years of management experience including owning my own business with 2 store fronts for several years. I managed retail store fronts and tours (an entire beast in and of itself). My experience as a pilot has little to do with my thinking on leadership. I think life experience breeds leadership, not proficiency in performing a skill.

Proficiency in performing a skill does breed leadership. It is how we learn as pilots regardless of age. Throughout our career we learn from our mistakes and wrong decisions. Life experience and performing the skill create quality leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back