Repo companies

mshunter

Does anyone know of any airplane repo companies. In these tough times, people have got to be loosing their toys.

There's one in your neck of the woods called Vessex. There aren't that many that are reputable and I get the impression that companies like this one hire retired airline pilots.

There was a show on a while back called "The Repossessors". I think they had a couple segments where airplanes were repossessed.

That would pretty much be my dream flying job. Going somewhere, observing and when the time is right, getting in and flying outta there.

The problem I could see is that the people do not have the money to make the payment, so probably are overdue on maintenance as well, and you might not be flying a legal aircraft. Also what are the odds all of the required documents are in the airplane? Nice way to lose all your certs in one fell swoop if you were unlucky enough that "someone" found out.

They often work with local law enforcement, so I'm sure they work with the FAA as well. I think the FAA would be more concerned with them selling tickets to the public for a ride on an actual repo...

The problem I could see is that the people do not have the money to make the payment, so probably are overdue on maintenance as well, and you might not be flying a legal aircraft. Also what are the odds all of the required documents are in the airplane? Nice way to lose all your certs in one fell swoop if you were unlucky enough that "someone" found out.

This comment always comes up with a topic like this. The only answer I have for you is --- come on man ---. 1st, AROW. 2nd, if I don't know the condidion of the aircraft, I don't fly it, i.e. a prop lock goes on untill the maint. logs show up. There are legal ways to get the logs from people who can't affor an airplane.

http://www.vesselextractions.com/

"Once the aircraft is located, a plan of extraction is developed that includes a number of contingency-based options. A VessEx extraction team can be placed on location allowing the required surveillance and planning to be performed locally. VessEx usually seeks to enlist the aid of local insiders, often a necessary component of a successful aircraft extraction. After proper preparation, including necessary arrangements with authorities and other locals, the confirmation or delivery of adequate fuel, performance of any required repairs, and the selection of proper weather and airport conditions, the team will board the aircraft and deliver it to the desired location."

They actually say that they have a system set up to make sure their ducks are in a row. I know that other types of repossessors have to be familiar with laws and regulations. I'm sure these folks know what they're doing.

http://www.vesselextractions.com/

"Once the aircraft is located, a plan of extraction is developed that includes a number of contingency-based options. A VessEx extraction team can be placed on location allowing the required surveillance and planning to be performed locally. VessEx usually seeks to enlist the aid of local insiders, often a necessary component of a successful aircraft extraction. After proper preparation, including necessary arrangements with authorities and other locals, the confirmation or delivery of adequate fuel, performance of any required repairs, and the selection of proper weather and airport conditions, the team will board the aircraft and deliver it to the desired location."

They actually say that they have a system set up to make sure their ducks are in a row. I know that other types of repossessors have to be familiar with laws and regulations. I'm sure these folks know what they're doing.

Thank you falconvalley. Not all pilots are the "let's git er done :crazy:" type, missing teeth and cheewing straw in a bear stained wife beater and overalls. Sounds to me like most people just assume that the airplanes AD's have been complied with, and the 100hr is done, etc. etc. Everynew place I have worked at, before I make my first flight, I at least look over the maint. records of an airplane to see what kind of operation they run. I have a wife and kid at home, and would like to return home to them everynight. If I walked into a repo company and it smelt like someone had just taken a dump, I'd find somwhere else to work.

There are places that will fly for hire, and then there are professionals. I consider myself a professional.

Back