Canadian Alternate Minimums

Am I the only one who thinks needing 2 runways is ridiculous? How many times do you need to land? I guess if you are cool with less than 30 minutes of reserve fuels and don’t require a real flight following system that’s what you do (I’m looking at you EASA)

Seriously for years US 121 carriers operated into Europe with an “alternate means of compliance” exemption, maybe Canadia has a similar rule for those who asked. Could explain different operstinf requirements for different carriers.

CAR 721.19

"(2) Weather Requirements

For at least one (1) hour before and until one (1) hour after the estimated time of arrival at the aerodrome of intended landing, there shall be, in respect to that aerodrome:

(a) no risk of fog or other restriction to visibility, including precipitation, forecast or reported, below 3 miles;
(b) no risk of thunderstorms isolated or otherwise forecast or reported;
(c) a forecast ceiling of at least 1,000 feet above FAF altitude and a visibility of at least 3 miles or a ceiling of at least 1,500 feet above the MDA and a visibility of at least 6 miles; and
(d) no risk of freezing rain, freezing drizzle, or sleet forecast or reported;
(3) Aerodrome of Intended Landing - Requirements

(a) the aerodrome of intended landing shall be:
(i) equipped with at least two (2) separate runways each of which shall be operational and suitable for a safe landing for the aeroplane type, taking into consideration the approved operational limitations; and
NOTE: The reciprocal of one runway is not acceptable as the second runway.

(ii) equipped with emergency or standby electrical power supply in support of the main electrical power supply used to operate all equipment and facilities that are essential to the safe landing of the aeroplane, whether such landing be by day or by night."
Now, is there a specific reason of why Canadian Regs are different to US Regs on this manner?

Am I the only one who thinks needing 2 runways is ridiculous? How many times do you need to land? I guess if you are cool with less than 30 minutes of reserve fuels and don’t require a real flight following system that’s what you do (I’m looking at you EASA)

Seriously for years US 121 carriers operated into Europe with an “alternate means of compliance” exemption, maybe Canadia has a similar rule for those who asked. Could explain different operstinf requirements for different carriers.

They way it was explained to me is if you are going to a remote part of Canada and a heard of moose are on the only runway, they want you to have an option.

They way it was explained to me is if you are going to a remote part of Canada and a heard of moose are on the only runway, they want you to have an option.

Seems like paying to build a high tension electrified fence around the airport would be cheaper and reduce carbon emissions by carrying excessive alternste fuel.

#MooseShouldPayCarbonTaxesToo

Basically- if you’re dispatching to Toronto you throw on BUF or DTW and call it a day
If it's 10 and clear (or for a Canadian TAF it's 15 and clear) with no chance of precipitation or NOTAM issues, I don't add an alternate. We dispatch to YYZ and YUL almost daily at my regional airline.

FedEx does. Why, because that’s what is required to play in their sandbox. Same with China always needing an alternate listed (wx required or not).

fdx does NOT require an alternate into Canada as long as theirs operative lighting and some other conditions. Whatever the CAR’s state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back