Reducing aviation’s global warming footprint.

SteveC

"Laconic"
Staff member
“Boeing-owned flight-planning company ForeFlight announced this week it has entered a collaboration with climate and clean-energy group Breakthrough Energy (BE) to develop and produce “advanced tools” to enable business aviation operators to avoid producing contrails. The overall goal is to reduce the harmful environmental effects of the artificially generated clouds.

ForeFlight said, according to a report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), contrails are responsible for approximately 35% of aviation’s global warming footprint. ForeFlight and BE are working on software tools that can analyze weather forecasts, satellite imagery and other related data to model atmospheric conditions that induce contrails. The product will enable business aviation operators, such as Europe’s Luxaviation, to avoid the vulnerable air masses and lessen the environmental impact of the contrails.”

“Boeing-owned flight-planning company ForeFlight announced this week it has entered a collaboration with climate and clean-energy group Breakthrough Energy (BE) to develop and produce “advanced tools” to enable business aviation operators to avoid producing contrails. The overall goal is to reduce the harmful environmental effects of the artificially generated clouds.

ForeFlight said, according to a report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), contrails are responsible for approximately 35% of aviation’s global warming footprint. ForeFlight and BE are working on software tools that can analyze weather forecasts, satellite imagery and other related data to model atmospheric conditions that induce contrails. The product will enable business aviation operators, such as Europe’s Luxaviation, to avoid the vulnerable air masses and lessen the environmental impact of the contrails.”

Military has been doing this since the 80s, likely earlier, though not for environment . Nothing new, except for probably civvie ops.

Why is this tailored to business aviation and not airlines? Anyone involved in aviation is an environmental terrorist, why single out one of the smallest percentages of air traffic? Airplane manufacturers or captains championing the climate as they fly from one continent to another just rings hollow. I'm not convinced contrails have an appreciable effect on weather, was the weather bad in Germany in the mid '40s? Yes, but it's because it was raining 500lb bombs, everything sucked.

Why is this tailored to business aviation and not airlines? Anyone involved in aviation is an environmental terrorist, why single out one of the smallest percentages of air traffic? Airplane manufacturers or captains championing the climate as they fly from one continent to another just rings hollow. I'm not convinced contrails have an appreciable effect on weather, was the weather bad in Germany in the mid '40s? Yes, but it's because it was raining 500lb bombs, everything sucked.
Does Foreflight do work with 121 airlines?

Why do you say you're not convinced that contrails have an effect? Have you actually read anything on the subject, or are you doing an "my opinion is as valid as the people who study this stuff" thing again?

Why do you say you're not convinced that contrails have an effect? Have you actually read anything on the subject, or are you doing an "my opinion is as valid as the people who study this stuff" thing again?
I read the article you posted. I normally consider anything regarding contrails as nonsense, you're lucky I took the time to read your reference.

Our only interest in cons was where they were for tactical purposes. Our daily Wx briefs had the con altitudes from the forecasters included, and thus, the altitudes to avoid; as cons would give you away to enemy fighters or even ground observers, for many many miles. So we had to know where they would form, in order to avoid them.

Not directly, but I’ve been told there have been a lot of foreflightesque improvements to Jepp FD Pro since Boeing bought foreflight

Our only interest in cons was where they were for tactical purposes. Our daily Wx briefs had the con altitudes from the forecasters included, and thus, the altitudes to avoid; as cons would give you away to enemy fighters or even ground observers, for many many miles. So we had to know where they would form, in order to avoid them.

Best is calling out the B-2s......"Marking, whatever altitude you are at" :)

Naw man that’s CHEMtrails. Contrails are the white wispy things in the sky that trail behind jets.
Chemtrails were not the subject of the article @SteveC posted. It was about contrails, those white wispy things that follow airplanes, contributing to climate change. Unless contrails are causing overcast skies on what would otherwise be a sunny day I'm not going to entertain that line of thinking. Oh no all of the airliners are flying, well I guess I can leave my sunglasses at home.

Unless contrails are causing overcast skies on what would otherwise be a sunny day I'm not going to entertain that line of thinking. Oh no all of the airliners are flying, well I guess I can leave my sunglasses at home.
Did you have a factual objection orrrrrrr

According to the nutters on the intergooglez, the government classifies and appropriates all patents on anti-gravity and zero-point-energy, and then runs green energy proponents as a front and Ponzi scheme to fund the shadow world government.

Who’s that at my door?

Back