Rant

I'm part 91 flying at the moment. But I will come with a slight defense for the 135 guys/gals. They are flying A LOT. The charter industry is still pretty hot and they are feeling the affects of the shortage still. These charter companies are working them hard. So mistakes are bound to happen.

Corpies gonna corp, but unless you’ve corped, maybe mind your own business, as you don’t have any relevant information.

No, but like NovemberEcho, one can make observations.

The most “interesting” (not in a good way) FOs have involved a guy who went Corpie straight to our shop. I have way too many stories, which is why one generic term of ‘Corpie gonna Corp’ exists.

The quality of pilot in the 135 world will always dip down when the airlines are hiring. Most 135 outfits foster getting the bottom of the barrel pilot because they are bottom of the barrel outfits. Hell, look at the entire Florida 135 market lol.

Also though, the experience level average has gone down across the board. We are hiring pilots into major airlines where this is their first jet, their first commercial multi-engine job, their first multi crew aircraft and all of the above. Nobody is getting the 15,000 hour new hire with 6 jet types and prior military time anymore...

I’ve never flown into TEB. I saw DANDY at 1500, which is one of the fixes they had. And a circle at TORBE. Point still stands though! Scary that there are Corpies flying jets who aren’t allowed to be PFs at their own shop. You don’t see that in the One Twenty Weenie world.
Well that’s because there is no such thing as a single pilot certified 737……..yet.

I’m not sure I’d call the observations of a controller who has worked one of the busiest corporate jet airports in the country for…what 10ish years now? Anecdotal ramblings. He’s pretty well placed to notice something like this.

. . .again, what actions/activities "experienced" by said individual makes him express that perspective?

Or, "it is what it is?" Provide me with something anecdotal that I or anyone else can empathize?

That’s why I specified incompetence/inexperience. There’s plenty of incompetent experienced people.

I get it. Most of us are having difficulty trying to contrast/compare in order to better "understand."

Hate saying this, but it's like "America aint what it use to be." It's changed over the years.

OK . .true statement. How so?

That NEW Prius is fire though. I like the aesthetics and I’m not buying another Tesla because I want off the crazy train.

“Hey, my car just finished an update in the garage, 45 minutes of downtime and OOOH I got a new version of Dune Buggy Racer I’ll never play,”

That NEW Prius is fire though. I like the aesthetics and I’m not buying another Tesla because I want off the crazy train.

“Hey, my car just finished an update in the garage, 45 minutes of downtime and OOOH I got a new version of Dune Buggy Racer I’ll never play,”

I can’t deny it the new Prius does look pretty good

On the airline side, I was told when SJC had 30R closed for a few days, something of a majority of Roll Coal Express crews were asking for a sidestep on check-in with approach having no idea the runway was closed. By the 4th or 5th day of 50%+ of these guys asking, apparently the company was asked why such a huge number of these guys were in the last stage of the approach hoping to use a closed runway haha. Sounds like no big deal, but it really had the local ATC thinking "what is going on at X". In that case, I actually told my friend "Well, to be fair, even if no pilot at any other airline read the NOTAMs either, it would still only be airline X asking for sidesteps all day to save 11 seconds so you wouldn't know".

On the airline side, I was told when SJC had 30R closed for a few days, something of a majority of Roll Coal Express crews were asking for a sidestep on check-in with approach having no idea the runway was closed. By the 4th or 5th day of 50%+ of these guys asking, apparently the company was asked why such a huge number of these guys were in the last stage of the approach hoping to use a closed runway haha. Sounds like no big deal, but it really had the local ATC thinking "what is going on at X". In that case, I actually told my friend "Well, to be fair, even if no pilot at any other airline read the NOTAMs either, it would still only be airline X asking for sidesteps all day to save 11 seconds so you wouldn't know".
Meh. It happens.

Just yesterday, we were given the farthest possible runway to land on. After we cleared, I mentioned “I didn’t see a single aircraft operating on (closer runway)”!
As we crossed (closer runway), I saw the big, flashing “X” on it…

“Yep, right there on the ATIS”…

Meh. It happens.

Just yesterday, we were given the farthest possible runway to land on. After we cleared, I mentioned “I didn’t see a single aircraft operating on (closer runway)”!
As we crossed (closer runway), I saw the big, flashing “X” on it…

“Yep, right there on the ATIS”…
At least you didn't have the mic keyed. The time I got caught in CIC with "any chance for 13L?" with it closed, the tower controller was a dude I worked with at OO so he made sure to embarrass me in front of my date. He told the Pac Valley C208 behind me "Thanks for reading the NOTAMS and not asking for a closed runway"too lol.

The stupider the better. 🤣
"Ehhhhhhhhhh...Ramp Tower ehhhhh....Volaris 926 I think by mistake we turned left and we are on 01L?".

Back