Rant

I’m not sure I’d call the observations of a controller who has worked one of the busiest corporate jet airports in the country for…what 10ish years now? Anecdotal ramblings. He’s pretty well placed to notice something like this.

I’m not sure I’d call the observations of a controller who has worked one of the busiest corporate jet airports in the country for…what 10ish years now? Anecdotal ramblings. He’s pretty well placed to notice something like this.

If a state trooper said Toyota Prius owners suck, would that make it truth?

The definition of "anecdotal" is "not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research."

That's exactly what was posted. I like @NovemberEcho and agree with most things he posts, but this thread is silly.

I dunno, this is Derg’s living room as they say and I’m pretty sure that ranting about this kind of thing falls into chilling in the living room activities. I guess things are different where you are but doing 135 I definitely noticed the kind of thing he’s talking about.

I'm not trying to say everything is perfect in the 135 world. In fact I would agree the experience level is probably the lowest it's been in years. I'd say the same about most sectors of the industry...121, flight instructors, you name it.

And I agree, it's Derg's living room. People can talk and vent however they want. If I was hanging out with everyone in person I'd call BS on this one still. It's not my style to rant about something with no facts to share or anything to back up my point.

For whatever reason OP either won't or can't share specifics. I suspect whatever it was, he has no clue of the actual experience level in the aircraft he's working. Unless they screw up and say, "Sorry, I've never been here before and this is my first month in a jet," he simply doesn't know.

Highly experienced crews screw things up sometimes. It might be an operator who rarely goes to the NYC metro area and isn't familiar with a "gotcha" like DANDY or WENTZ. It might be a retired airline pilot with 25,000 hours still getting used to their retirement gig in a jet. There's all kinds of possibilities.

I don't know, and neither do you or the OP.

I'm not trying to say everything is perfect in the 135 world. In fact I would agree the experience level is probably the lowest it's been in years. I'd say the same about most sectors of the industry...121, flight instructors, you name it.

And I agree, it's Derg's living room. People can talk and vent however they want. If I was hanging out with everyone in person I'd call BS on this one still. It's not my style to rant about something with no facts to share or anything to back up my point.

For whatever reason OP either won't or can't share specifics. I suspect whatever it was, he has no clue of the actual experience level in the aircraft he's working. Unless they screw up and say, "Sorry, I've never been here before and this is my first month in a jet," he simply doesn't know.

Highly experienced crews screw things up sometimes. It might be an operator who rarely goes to the NYC metro area and isn't familiar with a "gotcha" like DANDY or WENTZ. It might be a retired airline pilot with 25,000 hours still getting used to their retirement gig in a jet. There's all kinds of possibilities.

I don't know, and neither do you or the OP.

You've been here long enough to know that 95% of what he posts is tongue in cheek. You seem to be taking this one a little personally.

You've been here long enough to know that 95% of what he posts is tongue in cheek. You seem to be taking this one a little personally.

Maybe so. I should probably start a rant thread about the quality of rant threads lately.

For whatever reason OP either won't or can't share specifics

Cause I’m not basing it on a specific incident or statistic. It’s based on my experience and the ever increasing frustration of having to vector people into TEB the last 2-3 years. Mugzy used to be my favorite position and now I hate it cause you get out of position just pissed off.

If a state trooper said Toyota Prius owners suck, would that make it truth?

@NovemberEcho and agree with most things he posts, but this thread is silly.

If a State Trooper tells you to avoid Nissan Altimas with temporary tags, you should listen.

The lack of 135 accidents is interesting and I'm not sure what to attribute it to. The experience level of the pilots, mechanics, training centers, controllers, and leadership has to be at the lowest point since jet aircraft were put into service. It is a perfect storm, but the holes in the cheese are not lining up (thankfully).

Alex.

Cause I’m not basing it on a specific incident or statistic. It’s based on my experience and the ever increasing frustration of having to vector people into TEB the last 2-3 years. Mugzy used to be my favorite position and now I hate it cause you get out of position just pissed off.

I thought you came off every position pissed off?

I'll try to get on more TEB trips. Then you'll have an experienced guy to be pissed at.

If a State Trooper tells you to avoid Nissan Altimas with temporary tags, you should listen.

The lack of 135 accidents is interesting and I'm not sure what to attribute it to. The experience level of the pilots, mechanics, training centers, controllers, and leadership has to be at the lowest point since jet aircraft were put into service. It is a perfect storm, but the holes in the cheese are not lining up (thankfully).

That's a really interesting point.

Like airlines, I think the advancement of standardization and CRM has come a long way in the bizjet world. It's still not where it should be, but it's much better than a couple decades ago. Insurance is driving a higher baseline of safety as well, such as making single pilot operations increasingly difficult.

I went to recurrent at FlightSafety a few weeks ago. My sim instructor had spent many years flying Falcons/Citations in the Part 91 world. Some of the stories he told of things that happened years ago were absolutely bonkers. It's been a slow but steady improvement over the years.

Back