QX2059 Jumpseater tries to shutdown engines

if you want to go real knee jerk……if it turns out this guy was former mil, and was receiving VA benefits for mental trauma either reported or unreported; and claims some kind of mental event made him do it. That will trigger the FAA to knee jerk in a never before seen way.

You thought there was a pilot shortage before……. :)

He was just the jumpseater, so there would’ve been one of the pilots at least there. But yeah, doing it with the two pilots present, is an odd tactic with low probability of success.
I disagree with your "low probability of success" to the contrary, they were very lucky and kudos to the crew for being able to neutralize this POS. I do not know the details, but in that small cockpit (Not like the FEDEX DC-10 / 3 crew) it is very difficult to control the plane and deal with that type of threat, within seconds, things can go south in a hurry -> loss of control.

I disagree with your "low probability of success" to the contrary, they were very lucky and kudos to the crew for being able to neutralize this POS. I do not know the details, but in that small cockpit (Not like the FEDEX DC-10 / 3 crew) it is very difficult to control the plane and deal with that type of threat, within seconds, things can go south in a hurry -> loss of control.

What I meant was lower probability of success with two people up there, as opposed to one in an airplane he may have been piloting himself.

What I meant was lower probability of success with two people up there, as opposed to one in an airplane he may have been piloting himself.
OK that's fair, but in either case it's a dire situation, that cockpit is small and furthermore, the aggressor being a pilot will know how to actuate the controls to induce a disaster. from any position he can pretty much reach a bunch of critical controls while fighting and disrupting the crew.

Last edited:
if you want to go real knee jerk……if it turns out this guy was former mil, and was receiving VA benefits for mental trauma either reported or unreported; and claims some kind of mental event made him do it. That will trigger the FAA to knee jerk in a never before seen way.

You thought there was a pilot shortage before……. :)

They’re already going after people collecting VA bennies for things not disclosed on their medical. Big article about it just a few weeks ago how they’re cracking down on it.

Saw an FFDO use his badge to get an LE discount at Chik fil a, telling the cashier he was “ on duty”. My partner beat me to pulling him aside quietly to tell him that 1. He’s not LE, he’s at best, a cockpit security guard. 2. He’s not on duty, and 3. Even when on duty, his jurisdiction is about 15 or so square feet, give or take.

Nitwit.

Thank you for doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw an FFDO use his badge to get an LE discount at Chik fil a, telling the cashier he was “ on duty”. My partner beat me to pulling him aside quietly to tell him that 1. He’s not LE, he’s at best, a cockpit security guard. 2. He’s not on duty, and 3. Even when on duty, his jurisdiction is about 15 or so square feet, give or take.

Nitwit.
There is so much overcompensation in this industry

Nitwit.
Should have turned him in to the program so they could get rid of him…

Woke up from a red eye and I am still in utter disbelief and shock. I know the JSer in question really well. I can't speak to anything regarding the incident but I will say that he is a fantastic guy, a great pilot and never gave any of us indications that something like this could happen. I am glad the flight landed without incident and that everyone is safe.

Woke up from a red eye and I am still in utter disbelief and shock. I know the JSer in question really well. I can't speak to anything regarding the incident but I will say that he is a fantastic guy, a great pilot and never gave any of us indications that something like this could happen. I am glad the flight landed without incident and that everyone is safe.
Not calling you out specifically, but I'd like to point out, how many of us REALLY know people very well?

There's the "He was my sim partner a few years ago and seemed like a great guy" level of knowing someone, then there is the, "I lived with him for the past 14 years and frequently talked with him about our deepest desires in life," level.

I have a good friend who used to work in law enforcement. He pointed out that during his investigations of people, he oftentimes heard acquaintances say, "That guy was such a great guy, I can't imagine him raping little boys in his basement," when he was, in fact, raping little boys in his basement. The acquaintances might have waived to him while mowing the lawn and felt like they knew him much better than they actually did.

Unfortunately that conversation both opened my eyes and made me a little more jaded. It made me realize I only REALLY know a handful of people.

Not calling you out specifically, but I'd like to point out, how many of us REALLY know people very well?

There's the "He was in my sim partner a few years ago and seemed like a great guy" level of knowing someone, then there is the, "I lived with him for the past 14 years and frequently talked with him about our deepest desires in life," level.

I have a good friend who used to work in law enforcement. He pointed out that during his investigations of people, he oftentimes heard acquaintances say, "That guy was such a great guy, I can't imagine him raping little boys in his basement," when he was, in fact, raping little boys in his basement. The acquaintances might have waived to him while mowing the lawn and felt like they knew him much better than they actually did.

Unfortunately that conversation both opened my eyes and made me a little more jaded. It made me realize I only REALLY know a handful of people.

We were both instructors on the Airbus, our families have had dinner together multiple times. But it shows that it you never know what is going on in somebody's life.

You are right though, you really only REALLY know a few people, and even then, you get shocked. There was a thing recently where a serial killer was caught, he had been doing it for 30 years, wife had no idea he was capable of something like that.

Nitwit.
I remember years ago, when the FFDO program was just being implemented, a new hire performed a 'traffic stop' following a road rage incident near the airport and stated "he was a law enforcement officer" , produced his brand spanking new mini musket to achieve compliance with the law !
Needless to say that the responding city cops were from PHL and well versed in the law. He was promptly bagged, stuffed and taken to jail. Probably lost his job too.

Back