QX2059 Jumpseater tries to shutdown engines

I can’t believe you’re asking this.
Screenshot_20231023_064942_Facebook.jpg

FB_IMG_1698068909979.jpg

From a certain Air Lines meme page lol...

Emerged, Top Seercert

An off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot taking a ride Sunday in the jump seat of a flight out of Everett attempted to shut down the engines inflight and had to be subdued, the pilot is heard saying in a recording of the exchange with air traffic controllers.

Horizon Air flight 2059 from Everett to San Francisco diverted to Portland where it landed safely, and the Alaska Airlines pilot was arrested.

“We’ve got the guy that tried to shut the engines down out of the cockpit,” the pilot told Portland air traffic control. “It doesn’t seem like he’s causing any issue at the back. I think he’s subdued.”

“Other than that, we want law enforcement as soon as we get on the ground and parked,” the pilot is heard saying in a recording of the exchange with air traffic controllers on the LiveATC website.

The Embraer E-175 regional jet had taken off from Everett’s Paine Field airport at 5:23 p.m. Sunday. The flight was full, with 80 passengers on board, including lap infants, with two pilots flying and two flight attendants in the passenger cabin.

The Alaska Airlines pilot sat in a seat on the flight deck just behind the captain and first officer flying the jet.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad

Skip Ad

Skip Ad

This is routine. Any airline employee pilot can hitch a free ride back to their home base after their work shift ends if seats are available. A pilot will often choose the jump seat to chat with the pilots flying.

In a statement Monday morning, Alaska Air Group, the parent company of Alaska Air and regional subsidiary Horizon Air said “a credible security threat related to an authorized occupant in the flight deck jump seat” occurred on the flight.

“The crew secured the aircraft without incident,” Alaska Air stated. “All passengers on board were able to travel on a later flight.”

“We are grateful for the professional handling of the situation by the Horizon flight crew and appreciate our guests’ calm and patience throughout this event,” the airline stated.

Passengers received travel vouchers for use on future travel.

This is a breaking story and will be updated.

Dominic Gates: 206-464-2963 or dgates@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @dominicgates.

Be careful on here folks. Doxxing and aviation safety aren’t going to mix well. See the WSJ article about Austin runway incursions.

I seem to recall after 9/11 there was no jumpseating for a time. I can't remember if it was just offline or everyone. Brown would implode with no company jumpseating.

When you guys say “no jumpseating”, does that mean no one in the actual jumpseat itself, or no jumpseater/commuters allowed at all….not even tossed into the cabin?

These days, absolutely. Flights are always full and I doubt the airlines are going to create a bunch of extra capacity anytime soon.

That’s a good point. In that case, i would hope that doesn’t happen then, as some kind of knee jerk reaction to what is kind of a one-off event.

Back