QX2059 Jumpseater tries to shutdown engines

FL350

PAE to SFO, diverted into PDX
At the 10:40 mark in the liveatc mark you can hear PDX approach ask for threat level, and crew says they got the guy who tried to shut engines down subdued in the back.

No idea what this must’ve been like, and my details could be wrong. Just piecing things together based on the information I have.

Good work to the crew getting the plane on the ground safely.

It did happen...I know the Captain of the Horizon flight, and I'm beyond thankful that someone of his caliber was at the helm for this utter cluster-f...he's a long time QX pilot, former check airman on the Q400 and is as good as they come.

I will say this for everyone, this is SSI stuff that happened...please do not take the discussion into that realm, I'd hate for any of us to get called in for a "big brown desk meeting" with the CPO and TSA suits over a something posted here.

Let's just all be thankful for that crew doing the best job possible in a situation that most of us wouldn't have dreamt about being reality.

It did happen...I know the Captain of the Horizon flight, and I'm beyond thankful that someone of his caliber was at the helm for this utter cluster-f...he's a long time QX pilot, former check airman on the Q400 and is as good as they come.

I will say this for everyone, this is SSI stuff that happened...please do not take the discussion into that realm, I'd hate for any of us to get called in for a "big brown desk meeting" with the CPO and TSA suits over a something posted here.

Let's just all be thankful for that crew doing the best job possible in a situation that most of us wouldn't have dreamt about being reality.
Sounds like it was handled well.

Absolutely agreed on the SSI part. Please be very careful what you say folks.

Last edited:
Sounds like it was handled well.

Absolutely agreed on the SSI part. Please be very careful what you say folks.

Too late, it is out in a few places, including a “this will probably be in the news tomorrow” post in a not-so-private group.

Sounds like an Auburn Calloway part 2, minus the physical attack.
That was my first thought when I listened to the live ATC recording. Unfortunately nothing hasn’t changed in the freight world in relation to barriers.

How is any of this SSI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean you could just as easily spin it as it's better to have more people in the cockpit than fewer. The FDX situation might have gone a lot worse hand that -10 been converted to an -11.

Back