Career preference

• Total voters
Careful with that. Never want to get too close to the PAX or the BOSS.

I keep hearing that, but I know a few corporate pilots who fly for high net worth individuals and they have done very well by being close to the boss. Not saying it will always be a good idea, but it can be beneficial both financially and for QOL. One has been with the same boss since the mid 90s and he has been very well taken care of.

Like all things in the corporate flying world, each situation is unique.

TP

I keep hearing that, but I know a few corporate pilots who fly for high net worth individuals and they have done very well by being close to the boss. Not saying it will always be a good idea, but it can be beneficial both financially and for QOL. One has been with the same boss since the mid 90s and he has been very well taken care of.

Like all things in the corporate flying world, each situation is unique.

TP

Just don't be the guy who thinks he is going to be "written into the will." Get it in writing. It's good to be a hard working loyal employee but it's best to insulate yourself from the principle. Most certainly with family matters. It's simply business.

I just left my corporate job, because the BOSS wanted me to sign a training contract. On the 3rd year, but not the year before.
ent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not sign it? No employer can hold you to a training contract...NONE or any form of contract. You are not a car for lease or a building for rent (even those you can get out of though) :). Dont be afraid of those silly paper agreements, they are only trying to find out either how loyal you are or if you intend to leave soon. Sounds like ya got electrolytes on your soil there beef supreme,,, awesome movie by the way (seent it 10xs).

Why not sign it? No employer can hold you to a training contract...NONE or any form of contract. You are not a car for lease or a building for rent (even those you can get out of though) :). Dont be afraid of those silly paper agreements, they are only trying to find out either how loyal you are or if you intend to leave soon. Sounds like ya got electrolytes on your soil there beef supreme,,, awesome movie by the way (seent it 10xs).

I've got what plants crave

I've got what plants crave

NOT SURE

I like money
owow, my balls
That s the department of education (o_O down a shot-gun barrel)
Get outta here, I'm beat'n, go away.
upgrade, who is up grade?
Time machine?

One of the best comedies ever and I'm afraid we really are headed in that direction. The court scene is nearly dead on with today's kangaroo family court system. I believe every man and woman should attend one child custody court visit before ever having a child, this should be mandatory before anyone in this country is allowed to have children. What a freak show. Talk about that would fix the population problem (for anyone with half a brain only as in the movie).

Last edited:
Just don't be the guy who thinks he is going to be "written into the will." Get it in writing. It's good to be a hard working loyal employee but it's best to insulate yourself from the principle. Most certainly with family matters. It's simply business.
It can be hard to get a read i'll admit. I have personally witnessed how the current Boss has always rewarded the employees that stuck it out, worked hard and were loyal. There is also a reason why people that became millionaires due to the Boss - keep coming back to work for him on his new projects.

Most people in this "circle" will pretty readily admit, that, if you're "IN" it's a good place to be, and you get taken care of. The general sign seems to be the Christmas party. If you get the invite to that, you are "In" if you will.

There are other fun perks. Lots of politicians went to his house during the primary. All low number attendance. I was by far the lowest person on the "salary pole" but, still got face time with a lot of people running in the primary.

At the end of the day though - I still have my emergency fund, and I'm not giving that up!

The thing with those guys is you're in until you are out and the fall is swift and painful. Reason for being out could be as minor as an expired soda given to a business partner.

It's kind of like the mafia for us...

In an ironic twist, wife worked for him from 2005-2010 before she moved, and I almost ended up flying for him then.

We just keep getting pulled back in :).

I do have provisions in my contract, but the honest truth, if he didn't want to pay- I'd long spend myself into bankruptcy trying to sue for it. There's some other elements between my wife and their family that form a strong bond - so there is literally no way to isolate from them, and fighting that would appear stand off-ish / rude?

I think the hard part, people get themselves into what they think is a "forever" job... Which is a fools errand in any aspect of aviation. With careful planning, networking, and saving - switching jobs doesn't need to be painful.

^ sounds like you found your unicorn. You really are quite lucky and I can say without any hesitation that I greatly regret not finding a good fit for myself in aviation. Seems I've had the full run of bad things that can happen. Which is why I recommend 121. I can see someone such as yourself saying, "WTF is this guy smoking. This is awesome!"

Who knows what to recommend to others really...

In the end, I found my unicorn as a stay at home dad. I get to spend every weekday with my son from 6AM to 3PM no exceptions :) Lucky if I can fit in a bike ride.

I'm living the best days of my life right now and my son will likely be much better for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
deadish thread, but my .02:

I went from CFI to corporate (it can very easily be done at the right company) and while I love where I'm at, the schedule is anything but family friendly, albeit depending on the family and the spouse. I'm on the road on a set 8x6 schedule, and it's killing us. In the beginning I was home a lot, on standby, mid cycle a few times, so it wasn't so bad, but with the business growing faster than the workforce (3rd company I've been at and I'll never understand the business decision behind it, both aviation and non) I'm now on the road a full 8 days. We have a baby and a 4 year old at home and my wife is at her wits end. It has negatively affected her mental health (4 year old and a baby...8 days by herself...) and thus is greatly affecting our marriage.

On the personal (read: selfish) side of things: Amazing overnights, hotel points, rental cars, tips, awesome stick flying into small strips...I'd be crazy to give it up. And the food...being able to find the out of the way places in the sticks, e.g....not having to eat in the terminal food court...

All that said if I was single (or if we had a better schedule), I would stay here for life. The company is great, the benefits amazing, the company really looks out for us and trusts our ADM.

tl;dr: Corporate schedules can be very rough on the family, particularly entry level ones. again, just my .02.

So I've been hearing about this Endeavor airplane flying company what which they fly those fancy jets...

As most everyone has pointed out here its really just a crap shoot. I spent 3 years at the regionals, got displaced out of 2 bases, so 3 bases in 3 years. Never got off reserve in those 3 years. Got a lucky contact on a pt 91 job. Got hired, been here 3 years. We fly 250 hours a year, maybe 3-4 overnights a month on average. Pay is OK, owners are great. Biggest draw back is being on a leash. Even though my owners dont abuse the whole "on call" thing, i still cant be more then a couple hours away from the airport at any given time. There's also the big question of longevity. Both owners are fairly old, so i dont know how many years the job will last? Will they hand the plane down to their kids? This is the main reason im considering making the jump to the majors. I love the job right now, however i dont want this job to end in say 7-10 years then i have all ready missed the front end of the hiring wave at the majors. Also i could nearly double my current pay within a couple years at a major. However it is really nice sometimes only flying a few day trips in a month.

Outside of the longevity question for me, its the age old question of the correct ratio between QOL and money.

Back