Career preference

• Total voters
I'll preface this with the fact that I'm a 121 guy. To me, there's no comparison. Corporate, even the best gigs, can be tough on your family. Any corporate flight department is subject to a new manager or board member screwing things up. Happens a lot. I have friends that have worked for corporate flight departments that I would have wanted to work for that no longer like it. Things change. 121 is pretty set in stone. And while it can take a while to get there, in the long term (which is what you have to think about for your family), the pay vs time off at a good 121 carrier is almost unbeatable. And you have no ancillary duties ever. Go to work, go home. Turn off your phone if you want. That's worth a lot to me. I felt the need to chime in here because I currently have 2 friends that went to flight departments that were renowned as some of the best in the world and both have called me asking for help getting into the 121 world. On that note I think it's ok to fly corporate as a stepping stone to get to a major. You won't build hours as fast as a regional but may get things on your resume (chief pilot or whatever) that would certainly make them overlook some lack of flight time. But either way I would be looking hard at how to get to a legacy.

I'll preface this with the fact that I'm a 121 guy. To me, there's no comparison. Corporate, even the best gigs, can be tough on your family. Any corporate flight department is subject to a new manager or board member screwing things up. Happens a lot. I have friends that have worked for corporate flight departments that I would have wanted to work for that no longer like it. Things change. 121 is pretty set in stone. And while it can take a while to get there, in the long term (which is what you have to think about for your family), the pay vs time off at a good 121 carrier is almost unbeatable. And you have no ancillary duties ever. Go to work, go home. Turn off your phone if you want. That's worth a lot to me. I felt the need to chime in here because I currently have 2 friends that went to flight departments that were renowned as some of the best in the world and both have called me asking for help getting into the 121 world. On that note I think it's ok to fly corporate as a stepping stone to get to a major. You won't build hours as fast as a regional but may get things on your resume (chief pilot or whatever) that would certainly make them overlook some lack of flight time. But either way I would be looking hard at how to get to a legacy.

121 is looking really good right now. Most people under 40 in 135/91 are trying to get to 121.

There is no comparison if I were starting over I'd be totally focused on 121 it is a shame I didn't go to that Skywest interview in 2005...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having worked "corporate" and 121, most airline jobs will have a better QOL than 90% of corporate jobs out there. The good corporate jobs are very hard to come by, and most of the time, unless you already know someone who works there, you ain't getting the job that's already spoken for.

You already touched on this, but for sure the worst part about using corporate for getting to a legacy 121 job is the low flight time.

I flew about 200 hrs/yr for several years at my 91 gig. In many ways it was awesome, but the problem was I started that job as a fairly low time pilot. This means I essentially wasted several years of my career as far as being competitive for a legacy. Like you said, if one can be a chief pilot in that position it's obviously helpful, but if 121 is the goal it's best to head that direction ASAP rather than hoping you'll be a CP.

I like to think that my diverse aviation background is something that sets me apart from the typical candidate (in a positive way), but so far that doesn't seem to have helped. If I could change anything about how I started my career, I would have made going to a 121 carrier a priority instead of screwing around with 135 and 91.

You already touched on this, but for sure the worst part about using corporate for getting to a legacy 121 job is the low flight time.

I flew about 200 hrs/yr for several years at my 91 gig. In many ways it was awesome, but the problem was I started that job as a fairly low time pilot. This means I essentially wasted several years of my career as far as being competitive for a legacy. Like you said, if one can be a chief pilot in that position it's obviously helpful, but if 121 is the goal it's best to head that direction ASAP rather than hoping you'll be a CP.

I like to think that my diverse aviation background is something that sets me apart from the typical candidate (in a positive way), but so far that doesn't seem to have helped. If I could change anything about how I started my career, I would have made going to a 121 carrier a priority instead of screwing around with 135 and 91.

This X1000

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went through my work albums to compare the two.

Corporate is 98% fun:
1043855_10151892893664632_340986894_n.jpg

10354136_10152469263474632_6047535547947472577_n.jpg

10500373_10152556755504632_197895056594323270_n.jpg

10670187_10152389918219632_6292960712795355041_n.jpg

340878_10150300644074632_525187235_o.jpg

And 2% suck:

10422282_10152614472774632_1443422207842060148_n.jpg

10250204_10152374801449632_6009523277813080441_n.jpg

My airline experience was uh... fun in a different way:

Thanksgiving meal:
574514_10151142535284632_1901074936_n.jpg

Guess we won't be driving to that sim session:
400923_10151039977969632_1462975532_n.jpg

What you can't put in pictures is the ability to have a fairly set schedule with 121 flying.

I was "dead set" on going corporate when I was in the beginning stages of flight training a few years back. I always heard all the airline pilots complaining about the very low first year pay at regionals, and heard corporate generally paid better starting out, and that you are "home more." But then over the years I started hearing horror stories from corporate pilots or former corporate pilots, and I started to get a look at the bigger picture of what this industry is about. Many corporate pilots I've talked to have either said they wished they went 121, or are in the process of filling out those applications and preparing to make the switch. One guy even told me straight up, "man, listen, don't bother fooling around with corporate, just go to the airlines." I've heard some CRAZY stories in 91/135. Things that make me shake my head in disbelief.

Because of this I've recently decided that 121 may be a lot more ideal and suitable for me, especially since I'm married and have a kid. I never thought I would consider 121, like, ever. I was against going to the airlines for years or even just thinking about the airlines for a career. But now airlines look much more attractive, even the regionals.

Somebody above briefly described their schedule at a regional. How many days off could the average 1st year first officer expect to get after coming off reserve? How many days off did you get ON reserve?

Your mileage may vary. I've never flown for the airlines so I couldn't even comment on it other than the horror stories from people I know, which is worthless since you can't paint an entire segment of the industry off of a few people's experiences. My experience right now is great in corporate. A little over 100 hours in the last six months, average 5-10 days of work per month, I know my schedule at least a couple days out, and a salary that's more than most regional captains with room to grow. I like this job for the schedule mostly because I have all the time in the world for my hobbies.

Pick a lane, do it for a few months and then reassess. If you like it, keep doing it. If not, pick another lane. Good luck!

Having flown 5 years at 3 regionals 4 as an FO 1 as a Captain. I'm now at Flexjet for almost 9 months flying at CL300/350

I'm home 16-18 nights a month, go to awesome locations, meet interesting people and on first year pay will make almost 80K (if I want to I contract out for $1000/ day)

My QOL is 10x better than the regionals. Like NetJets are operations are very 121ish. PBS style bidding and bonus structure make it really nice along with collecting airline and hotel points (most senior guys are lifetime Gold or Platinum)

We have a lot of Lifers here, Captain start at ~120K, average 170K and the top earners are hovering around 250K

I plan to make this a career spot....just a little perspective from the brighter side of 135 flying

Having flown 5 years at 3 regionals 4 as an FO 1 as a Captain. I'm now at Flexjet for almost 9 months flying at CL300/350

I'm home 16-18 nights a month, go to awesome locations, meet interesting people and on first year pay will make almost 80K (if I want to I contract out for $1000/ day)

My QOL is 10x better than the regionals. Like NetJets are operations are very 121ish. PBS style bidding and bonus structure make it really nice along with collecting airline and hotel points (most senior guys are lifetime Gold or Platinum)

We have a lot of Lifers here, Captain start at ~120K, average 170K and the top earners are hovering around 250K

I plan to make this a career spot....just a little perspective from the brighter side of 135 flying
That's not charter or corporate that is airline flying wrapped in a corporate blanket. Very, very different sort of job than even a larger flight department is.

You can't really compare the better fractional carriers to regional flying. They are not entry level jobs. You stated you flew for three different regionals prior to Flex even. How many civ only guys are getting hired at Netjets with 1,500 and an ATP? Or better yet without an ATP? Do they even offer an ATP course? A better comparison is fractional to major/legacy jobs.

That's not charter or corporate that is airline flying wrapped in a corporate blanket. Very, very different sort of job than even a larger flight department is.

You can't really compare the better fractional carriers to regional flying. They are not entry level jobs. You stated you flew for three different regionals prior to Flex even. How many civ only guys are getting hired at Netjets with 1,500 and an ATP? Or better yet without an ATP? Do they even offer an ATP course? A better comparison is fractional to major/legacy jobs.
I can compare it because that is the flying it falls under...we fly 91,91k and 135...I wasn't intending to only compare it the regionals I was however making the point that it can compare to majors and LLCS in a lot of aspects.

I'll agree the main difference in what we do versus a true charter operation is the waiting...we really don't do much "sitting around"

But my whole statement still works!

It is about you and your family. It all depends on who both of you are as individuals and what you expect from each other (trust). Trust has to be laid down and pillow talk is needed,,,then go from there. What does she expect from you? What do you expect from her? Is she already trying to talk you out of your aviation career choice (just assuming here, sounds like it).

I (personally) wanted to come home every night to my children and raise them as well (teaching how to treat others, aggravate them with tickle tortures every night before bed, life lessons,,,ect). I am all about them to the point money had no real bearing to get back to the station. I did pipeline, skydivers, and any little local thing out there that was offered (even behind A&Ps and should have that certificate under my belt). I enjoyed every moment of all I did in aviation (Flying the big plane for the rich in aviation was not my key to my happiness, it was being with them). That is just me. Know yourself.

It's all about REALLY knowing who you are working with and trusting they will stay the same on this idea during pillow talk. You can't change either now after the pillow talk. Stay together and never put the children in the middle if the chit hits the fan (many think it can't happen to them, as I did).

Sorry, I don't know who you are therefore I can not cast vote on your poll here.

I cut up alot on this site but what you are writing about is very serious to me and I put thought into it daily.

Congrads!

Last edited:
Back