PUBNAT2- What states did you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok let me specify a little more, i thought prior military controllers diddnt have to take the ATSAT since it would be kind of redundant to have a experienced controller take the test
Prior Military controllers do not have to take the test, but everyone else including prior military non controller,CTI, and OTS have to take the AT-SAT.

I think that your 'regional head' has no idea what he is talking if he truly said that PUB3 will hire more applicants than PUB2.

I see the statement as being 'ridiculous' because it is not true in any way.

The FAA is hiring roughly 2,000 'trainees' in the fiscal year 2009 and isn't going to 'pick and choose' what PUBATs get what number of TOLs. They will base it on your desired location, your AT SAT score, your work experience, your education, etc. If 2,000 applicants (former military, veterans, OTS, CTI, etc.) meet the criteria by the end of the year 2009 and all want to go to different places that need controllers, then they will 'push' these people through and not 'jump' to another PUBAT on the chance that there is someone there who is more qualified. To sum up, if well qualified enough people happened to apply in PUBAT2 and other announcements that aren't OTS (during the same time period of roughly April-August), then they will get the majority, if not all, of the spots for the fiscal year 2009 and people who applied in later OTS PUBATs will have to wait until the next fiscal year for their chance to work for the FAA.

Again, everyone is welcome to their own. But unless you are directly involved in the hiring process (and I am going to guess you are not) I am going to go with what someone says who is over someone who is not.
He is not the first person to tell me this either.

I think that your 'regional head' has no idea what he is talking if he truly said that PUB3 will hire more applicants than PUB2.

I see the statement as being 'ridiculous' because it is not true in any way.

The FAA is hiring roughly 2,000 'trainees' in the fiscal year 2009 and isn't going to 'pick and choose' what PUBATs get what number of TOLs. They will base it on your desired location, your AT SAT score, your work experience, your education, etc. If 2,000 applicants (former military, veterans, OTS, CTI, etc.) meet the criteria by the end of the year 2009 and all want to go to different places that need controllers, then they will 'push' these people through and not 'jump' to another PUBAT on the chance that there is someone there who is more qualified. To sum up, if well qualified enough people happened to apply in PUBAT2 and other announcements that aren't OTS (during the same time period of roughly April-August), then they will get the majority, if not all, of the spots for the fiscal year 2009 and people who applied in later OTS PUBATs will have to wait until the next fiscal year for their chance to work for the FAA.

Everyone is welcome to his or her own opinion. Let me ask you this though. Are YOU directly involved in the process? I'm going to guess that, since you are applying, you are not. So given that you are saying that someone who is not involved in the process and doesn't even work for the FAA is a controller knows more then a man who has worked for the FAA for many many years and is directly involved in the process. Have you ever stoped to think that maybe the process is not as cut and dry as you think? Remember, this is a government agency you are dealing with. I know its unthinkable that a government agency (especially the FAA) might SAY one thing publicly and then DO another...

I'm so tired of hearing people say that.

Then heed the advice and statement because there is no way that someone should and/or needs to start out at the BUSIEST AIRPORT IN THE WORLD. Hartsfield is no joke and it takes years of experience to be able to 'check out' and/or work there. There is no reason why someone needs to start off there even if they were a former military controller, pilot, etc. Start somewhere that isn't as demanding and then 'bid up' if you want LAX, ATL, etc.

Everyone is welcome to his or her own opinion. Let me ask you this though. Are YOU directly involved in the process? I'm going to guess that, since you are applying, you are not. So given that you are saying that someone who is not involved in the process and doesn't even work for the FAA is a controller knows more then a man who has worked for the FAA for many many years and is directly involved in the process. Have you ever stoped to think that maybe the process is not as cut and dry as you think? Remember, this is a government agency you are dealing with. I know its unthinkable that a government agency (especially the FAA) might SAY one thing publicly and then DO another...

I am not 'directly' involved in the selection process, but I have talked to someone who is and is in charge of one of the busiest TRACONs in the country. I am sure that he knows more than most people since he actually suggested, to me, facilities that are looking to hire folks in the southeast. I trust his opinion and my dad's(who was a ATC at Hartsfield, PDK, and the Atlanta Center and who still works for the FAA), and someone in charge of human relations for the eastern region, etc. over your 'contact.' I'm sorry your ''regional head.'

Please use your brain and think about it. There is no reason for the FAA to pay Robinson Aviation roughly $700-1000 per person for them to take the AT SAT and be put on a referral list to only say, "We aren't going to hire as many PUBAT2s because we feel that there will be more qualified people on PUBAT3 or 4 or 5 or 6." If PUBAT2 and other non OTS applicants, who applied during the same time period, are qualified enough, then they will get the majority, if not all, of the spots for the fiscal year 2009.

It is hard to take someone as being serious when they can't even spell or punctuate their own sentences...

Wow some one actually picked kjax. It is a good facility and the people are awsome there. They are currently hiring 20 more people and 9 just got out of OKC. Be careful of the elevator of doom.

Putting FL was a super long shot, as it seems many people are choosing that, and the fact the most of the senior controllers like to transfer down there so they can retire in FL.
"Elevator of Doom?" Go on...I must know.
Also, you seem surprised that I picked JAX. Any reason?

The fact that you took the ATC-SAT means nothing. If you have even close to the requirements they will let you take it. Almost everyone who took the test and passed made the referal list, so that again means little. So I am not sure what you are eluding to there.

You need to read the post again. It has nothing to do with them thinking pubnat 3 will have more qualified people in it then pubnat 2. I never said anything of the kind.

Look everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions. People are obviously being told diffrent things. Its a gov. agency, so thats not terribly suprising. I don't go around telling people "oh I know more about this then you do, your wrong, you don't know what you are talking about" etc etc. I appreciate the same curtesy. Yes, I would believe what I am told by someone who is involved in the process over what some person on the internet says. I would expect you to do the same. But you don't need to go around and start a fit every time someone says something that you don't like or you believe contrary to.

Again, people on this board throw such a fit if they hear something that isn't to their benefit. Calm down guys, it will be ok.

As far as I am concerned they only need to hire one person from PUBNAT 2 to make me happy...

A bit off the subject, but Boomer, if you are reading this, I'll be seeing you at the championship game this year.

GO MIZZOU.

I think there could be a slight chance we could end up at the same PEPC. I was Terminal only and I picked LAX as well as several other counties in SOCAL,BUT ATL ATCT was my second choice, so you never no right. Just curious but what kind of UAV experiance do you have? There just aren't that many people I have come into contact with that were involved with UAV's or UCAV'S
I flew an experimental commercial UAV built by a U.S. Air n Defense company. It was made for commercial purposes: like airborne intelligence applications including oil and gas pipeline monitoring and forest fire detection. Without cooperation of the U.S. airspace allowance, it’s quite limited.

A bit off the subject, but Boomer, if you are reading this, I'll be seeing you at the championship game this year.

GO MIZZOU.

I've got Nebraska as my pick this week (+10). ALTHOUGH, I predict Mizzou wins by 9.

Where's it at this year? Please don't say KC, last one I went to in KC I swear I got frost bite and spent 75% of the time in the Dr. Pepper tent drinkz ma beerz.

You need to read the post again. It has nothing to do with them thinking pubnat 3 will have more qualified people in it then pubnat 2. I never said anything of the kind.

What you said was...

On the up side, PUBNAT 3 will be the first in a new fiscal year, so they will be hiring more people then in pubnat 2.

Considering, there isn't a single person hired from Pubnat2 yet....the above statement is ridiculous...But..Hey, you have a direct line to the "regional head" of something...and he's telling you that Pub3's are gonna be hired more than Pub2's because Pub2's are in the old fiscal years budget... Maybe your right...either way.. I know exactly where I stand.

Then heed the advice and statement because there is no way that someone should and/or needs to start out at the BUSIEST AIRPORT IN THE WORLD. Hartsfield is no joke and it takes years of experience to be able to 'check out' and/or work there. There is no reason why someone needs to start off there even if they were a former military controller, pilot, etc. Start somewhere that isn't as demanding and then 'bid up' if you want LAX, ATL, etc.

Genius, I wasn't the one planning to work at either, but instead, trying to clear the air on here. I know probably 8-9 people who have successfully garnered CPC status at Lvl.10-12 facilities, and thought it was hard, it wasn't impossible.

Only on this myopic little forum do people betch about it. I strongly suggest everyone talk to the facilities themselves, the controllers themselves, the NATCA reps. themselves, before heeding anyone's advice from a website that could affect their entire life. There are definitely places you want to stay away from, but it's not always the places you think...

Genius, I wasn't the one planning to work at either, but instead, trying to clear the air on here. I know probably 8-9 people who have successfully garnered CPC status at Lvl.10-12 facilities, and thought it was hard, it wasn't impossible.

Only on this myopic little forum do people betch about it. I strongly suggest everyone talk to the facilities themselves, the controllers themselves, the NATCA reps. themselves, before heeding anyone's advice from a website that could affect their entire life. There are definitely places you want to stay away from, but it's not always the places you think...

I agree with you totally...

I understand that you weren't the one saying that you wanted to go to ATL, LAX, etc. There is no reason to 'clear the air here.' People need to know that if they are hired OTS, with no previous air traffic experience, then they will not be able to become fully certified at a super busy TRACON or a super busy airport. They need to get rid of the idea that they are capable of overcoming obstacles that other people before them could not overcome. Example: being OTS and thinking you will become fully certified at the Atlanta TRACON. It is not going to happen. ATL ATCT, ATL TRACON, LAX ATCT, etc. are places you want to stay away from when starting out. Start at smaller facilities and then bid up...

I understand that you weren't the one saying that you wanted to go to ATL, LAX, etc. There is no reason to 'clear the air here.' People need to know that if they are hired OTS, with no previous air traffic experience, then they will not be able to become fully certified at a super busy TRACON or a super busy airport. They need to get rid of the idea that they are capable of overcoming obstacles that other people before them could not overcome. Example: being OTS and thinking you will become fully certified at the Atlanta TRACON. It is not going to happen. ATL ATCT, ATL TRACON, LAX ATCT, etc. are places you want to stay away from when starting out. Start at smaller facilities and then bid up...

I love your blanket statements -- you must be friends with those who claim "100% washout rates".

While it's certainly good advice to start at a lower facility, it's plain ignorant to state what an OTS is or isn't capable of, without knowing the training program they'd be thrust into, the people involved, etc. Do you think a CTI student would do better, just because he spent pissed away money to take some courses on aircraft engines, and identification, and airport management? Give me a break.

My 8-9 contacts include people from LAX, JFK, etc. and guess what? They're all OTS, and they're all certified, or in the process of certifying there successfully. I don't hear anyone shooting their own brains out, or opting to work at Walmart, so I'm not convinced. I'm a student of the sciences, and if it's one thing I hate, it's faulty statistics. You're plain wrong. Only on this forum do I hear of these horrendous monstrosities happening...and too many people blindly listen.

You're right in the sense that no one wants to go to a Tracon, but not for the reason you specified. They should steer clear, because everyone who works at one has God Complex, and thinks that they are the only person on the planet who can do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back