PSA Update

Forgot, what are the webistes that have ads out for pilots resumes for PSA?

USpilots and another one cant remember. Bizjet or something. Thinking they are automatic ones in which were paid for already. Thus the reason they got posted. I'd personally not READ anything into this. No reason to think that all of a sudden there'd be a PDT/PSA Merger. It'd save money that's for sure. No need to keep TK, and some other lovely PSA wise guys around if this were true. Wonder if they'd get a furlough notice!!! :)

PDT guys.... How many classes and FO's do you have from Nov 07 on? Anyone able to break the classes down from Nov-current? More so wondering how many were hired around the range that PSA guys were furlough. Half of the Dec 3rd 2007 class at PSA were let go. Wondering how many of them would be above those at PDT.

Obviously there would be a fence...But as far as seniority, as whole pilot groups go, PDT would come out on top. There would be individual exceptions but a lot of our senior guys have been flying as long as some PSA captains have been alive. I'd essentially hold my relative seniority with little effect on my bid status. But the real junior f/o's at PDT would certainly take a hit as we kept hiring well past when ya'll at PSA stopped. We continued to run classes through May of this year. Our last new hire finished up S.O.E. somewhere around September I believe

Eventually there would be a recall. But in my opinion, and I haven't heard anything of the sort, merely speculating as to what a POA might be. I would say the eventual goal of the merger would be to eliminate the Dash 8 100's and 50 seat CRJ's from the property in their entirety. I would say if this is indeed going down, they plan to add additional CRJ 700's, bring 900's and Q400's on board. But I see no such thing occurring in 2009. I think what we initially see would be a steady parking of the above mentioned types leading up to new planes in a couple of years. All optimistic, but it is sensibly possible.

Now the ugly version, it is also quite possible that a merger would be designed to make it easier for mainline's wholly owned interests to be liquidated. One must understand that PSA and PDT are looked at by mainline as "cost centers". Profitability of each airline is not measured against both airlines potential for loss or "cost". Since we have no independent ability to effect revenue intake, only what it costs to operate our two carriers is scrutinized by mainline. Considering AWAC and RAH have now guaranteed an interest in Airways flying via their contributions to last months refinancing package. One can speculate that the necessity of retaining any wholly owneds in the current state of the market would be unnecessary in the long term. If this is the case, the PSA furlough would likely be permanent.

Now, given that both airlines are expecting to resume hiring in 2009, it seems that the first scenario would be more likely. But the one thing we can all reflect on is that an airline's staffing habits or processes as they pertain to furlough or hiring have little to do with the overall state or course of an airline's long term destiny or direction its ownership is taking it. All we can do is hope for the best.

90 pilots on the list with an 11/07 DOH or higher. 9 classes including the last new hire class which began on 5/13/08

Now, given that both airlines are expecting to resume hiring in 2009, it seems that the first scenario would be more likely. But the one thing we can all reflect on is that an airline's staffing habits or processes as they pertain to furlough or hiring have little to do with the overall state or course of an airline's long term destiny or direction its ownership is taking it. All we can do is hope for the best.

PSA will not need to hire next year without either growth (not going to happen) or attrition due to people moving on to other carriers (could possibly happen, but doubtful with the state of the economy).

Eventually there would be a recall. But in my opinion, and I haven't heard anything of the sort, merely speculating as to what a POA might be. I would say the eventual goal of the merger would be to eliminate the Dash 8 100's and 50 seat CRJ's from the property in their entirety. I would say if this is indeed going down, they plan to add additional CRJ 700's, bring 900's and Q400's on board. But I see no such thing occurring in 2009. I think what we initially see would be a steady parking of the above mentioned types leading up to new planes in a couple of years. All optimistic, but it is sensibly possible.

All it takes is money. In the first 9 months of this year, LCC lost over $1B in unrestricted cash (to about $1.4B). Awhile ago, they had over $5B.

Who will take the -100s and the 50 seaters? How long will it take to get the Q? Aren't there too many "big RJs" on the Express side already? Just some thoughts.

Good questions all of them. As for the 100's, we have a number of them as well as some of the 300's which have their leases coming to term in 2009. Our management has already confirmed they have had some difficulty securing extensions or new leases on those aircraft as no extensions or new leases have been secured to date.. So in the event it is mainline's intention to reduce our fleet size for whatever reason, it would not be be all that hard for them to do. I understand a similar issue exists at PSA though I lack details. It is also my understanding that several of PSA's 50 seaters are owned outright. Making them pretty easy to park.

It is also my understanding that several of PSA's 50 seaters are owned outright. Making them pretty easy to park.

Meaning they have leasers and thus if parked USairways or someone is paying for pretty much an entire fleet to be sitting? That makes sense no?

Er...huh? How does an aircraft owned outright have a lease? You lost me homeslice.

I have no clue who owns what. All i know is from other sites they spoke about our 700's not being owned etc. So I cant speak about that to be honest. I was not aware USairways had them paid for or not. All i know for Certain is that Parker said he would not park a plane in which they could use to make money etc. In all of his crew meetings on the hub. take a glance if you wish. But then again that could change in a second.

Well I must confess I also have no idea over outright ownership of PSA aircraft...Just been told that by one of your captains....Could be true, could be wrong. I can tell you PDT does own some of our 100's though.

I saw 12 200s that are registered to Airways. In a fleet, the cost is dispersed. I don't think there is a difference in parking a leased or owned aircraft. The payment is still made until the contract is up.

If this was true and planned for Jan, shouldn't the union already know about it? (Serious question, I have no idea) I mean, to make the transition smoother, you would think they would start talking to them about it.

I wouldn't think so. An announcement of a merger is far from an effective date. It could be set to take place in late 09 or even in 2010 if it's happening at all. Just seems to be a lot of chatter coming from some pretty interesting sources on this. Lot's of circumstantial evidence that has come to light making it seem as though that there is indeed something strange afoot "at the Circle K".

No merger guys. Sorry to burst the bubble. But take my postings for what they are worth, I am sure there will be a bunch more out there saying there will be.

Super secret squirrel squad told me. You guys know I cant reveal sources, but Ill just say this, my friend who is in the upper management area says no.But like I said before take it for what its worth. Like everyone I have come to find that no one really knows anything till something happens, then its sometimes something that no one thought would happen.

Back