Please Help: Another OWI (DUI) Thread

. frankly most people say how bad the operator is not the other way around so picking out the good one? not sure how that works

Do you have the ability to be picky and choosy right now?

Crap, or get off the pot. I don't know how to put it any simpler.

Sorry mate I appreciate the trying but it just all comes down to one thing is that this will keep you out of the business and you will be limited for the rest of your life so ie dont even try because whats the point.
FYI I wasn't giving up on your situation. I don't think your doing it right. I'm giving up on you. Your attitude is deplorable and you just don't seem to hear what literally everyone on here is telling you. You can't be choosy? Then go take ANY flying job. Flight instruct, fly survey, fly freight, fly traffic watch, fly skydivers, just FLY. You gotta do something to keep moving forward.

Then you keep applying, not trying to sort out which operator is better than another or trying to pick out the best ones. Follow up. When your choices are saltine crackers or ramen for dinner, trying to go pick out which cut of ribeye steak you want, is a waste of time.

right so someone says there is a good freight operator great.. i say wheres that whats wrong with that? no matter as i haven't gotten any responses from anyone because of the dui or will I. heh im basically looking at scraps anyways which is basically my first point so no im not picking rib eye though rib eye is a great cut of meat no doubt...

FYI I wasn't giving up on your situation. I don't think your doing it right. I'm giving up on you. Your attitude is deplorable and you just don't seem to hear what literally everyone on here is telling you. You can't be choosy? Then go take ANY flying job. Flight instruct, fly survey, fly freight, fly traffic watch, fly skydivers, just FLY. You gotta do something to keep moving forward.

I agree completely. His attitude is his main hurdle at this point. But, here comes his response that "no it's not its my dui from 13 years ago" in 3...2...1...

Sorry I brought you into this. I didn't realize it was a sympathy party. :confused2:

Sorry I brought you into this. I didn't realize it was a sympathy party. :confused2:
Haha its all good man... I do try and be constructive around here and help people out where I can, but this guy is just his own worst enemy. Its like he wants attention or something. Anyone who seriously wanted help kick-starting their aviation career would pay the money and talk to a real-deal career advisor. He could have someone look over his airline apps, or just his resume in general to give him some pointers. I don't know the specifics of his situation and how he is presenting it... But I can tell you that I have been interviewing at a lot of places recently and have seen A LOT of people get picked apart for how they have represented stuff in their resume.

I have sent my resume out to at least a handful of friends and colleagues to get pointers and help me refine what I present to people. I have paid money and talked to a gentleman that does very thorough interview prep to get help formulating how I answer things (And guess what? Since then, I haven't been turned down for a single job I've interviewed at). To the OP: Getting a job isn't easy. Even in this hiring environment things aren't just handed to you. I've seen about half of the people interviewing lately get sent home for one reason or the other. I would venture a guess and say that your DUI isn't the issue. I can tell just from your responses to people on here that your attitude and your "victim mentality" is what is costing you a job. So you got a DUI over ten years ago? BIG WHOOP! We're all allowed to be idiots sometime. Thats what growing up is all about. Will some flight departments hold it against you? Absolutely! Will even more not even care one iota about it? You betcha!

And fyi, I think on some of the airline apps they ask if you have had anything within the past 10 years. So I'm not even sure why you seem to think something from 13 years ago is causing you problems now. Talk to an aviation attorney about that stuff. A good attorney and some good advice can be worth their weight in gold. But most of all, just go find a flying job. Are you current? When was the last time you flew a multi engine? When was the last time you sat in a sim and shot some approaches? If you got a call tomorrow to interview somewhere next week would you be ready? If not, then your already effing up. Step to it bro!

Is it feasible at this point to spend the money to have your record expunged?

Exactly. Seek post-conviction relief with the state you were convicted in. Depending on the state it will either be Expungement or Sealing.

Exactly. Seek post-conviction relief with the state you were convicted in. Depending on the state it will either be Expungement or Sealing.

I ask this because an Order of Expunction may not apply to something he has already reported to the FAA.

Remember, there are two separate facets of the FAA in terms of DUI and DUI reporting:

The first is the security division which is charged with the enforcement of proper reporting of DUI and alcohol related administration actions against a pilot. They check hundreds of airman medical applications weekly against the National Driver Registry (NDR) and if a hit comes back, they then check the individuals state records through National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (NLETS). Which in turn gives them exact details of the arrest and or conviction. They then make sure the pilot in question abided by the proper 60 calendar day reporting requirements.

The second is the aeromedical division. Which is ONLY concerned with the medical side of alcohol related offenses, i.e. substance abuse/dependance/SUD. They discover your alcohol issues from multiple avenues but the most popular are from the security division after a pilot complies with the 60 day reporting rule, checking the box on a medical application of arrest/conviction/admin action involving alcohol and self reporting such as entering the HIMS program.

Getting post conviction relief does not help in regards to the FAA. You will still have to admit that you were arrested on the medical app and since post conviction relief happens years after an offense, a pilot would still have to comply with the 60 day security division reporting rule. Post conviction relief WOULD help on the gaining employment side. Getting an expungment has the court reopen the case, the plea or finding of guilt is set aside and replaced with NOT GUILTY, dismisses the case and closes the file. Sealing on the other hand simply removes the case and conviction from public records.

Both options hides the file from public records so a SS#, DL# (most states) check will not turn up anything. Both options allows a pilot to not check the box of conviction on applications legally. Expungment is obviously the better of the two due to the fact the case is reopened and guilt is set aside and the case is dismissed. On the other hand your ARREST record will always be with the FBI. So if you get finger printed for an FBI check, the arrest WILL show up BUT no conviction will. So you will still have to explain away the arrest at the interview.

With all that said, it is a lot easier for a pilot to explain away an arrest without a conviction rather than a straight DUI on the record. Post conviction relief allows someone to "close that chapter" of their lives officially and it looks much better to the gate keepers in HR.

Got a response from a c208 job and thats about as helpful in aviation as smashing your head against a wall.

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen on here. The company I work for that only fly the 208 has had guys move on to almost every corner of aviation. Companies love guys who fly the 208. It's been some of the best flying experience I could have gotten anywhere. I guess you're too good for that tho...

Back