Please Help: Another OWI (DUI) Thread

Yep again back to it I have moved on and good for your friends where it happened 5 years ago but mine is 13 years ago ffs and im getting nothing.. what are they doing thats doing well? thats the millon dollar question?

i apply to every job site every day, get turned down from regionals ( thats depressing ) and even a pc12 operator to sit right seat ( thats even more depressing.. its like getting rejected to work part time at walmart )

so yeah.. the previous poster noted a CP and a crop sprayer..I wonder if they wanted that from the beginning or were they just held back because of their history, would be interesting to find out? I mean whats the point in trying if you can only go so far and it does not turn out to be that far at all. Again see under getting turned down from a single engine turboprop right seat. o_O

just as a note i wouldnt post this stuff if i really wanted to stop flying but i dont want to just embarass myself trying to get to something decent when its just impossible and unattainable. I would rather clock and early departure then end up being mediocre at best for the rest of time.

EOTP = end of thread postings

cheers

Last edited:
After reading all of this, I'm not sure if it's the DUI(s) or the defeatist attitude that is hindering the climb up the mountain.

dont get ahead of yourself there poncho. Its 1 (thats singular without the (s) ) while i was 21 in college misdemeanor 13 years ago almost now. If you couldnt even get on with a regional after that how would you feel? defeated?

dont get ahead of yourself there poncho. Its 1 (thats singular without the (s) ) while i was 21 in college misdemeanor 13 years ago almost now. If you couldnt even get on with a regional after that how would you feel? defeated?
Are they telling you it's the DUI, or are making that assumption?

Any of these places you're applying get close to Canada? land in Cananda? Could be diverted to Cananda?

Unless you processed the paperwork to allow you into Canada post DUI, perhaps they don't want the hassle of one of their pilots potentially getting hung at immigration?

Any of these places you're applying get close to Canada? land in Cananda? Could be diverted to Cananda?

Unless you processed the paperwork to allow you into Canada post DUI, perhaps they don't want the hassle of one of their pilots potentially getting hung at immigration?

good point but does not apply after 10 years

You know... I have a feeling it's the latter. While a DUI can be a show stopper for some places, I wouldn't say it is the defining thing most places would hire or not hire you on. Especially something that far in the OP's past. I would recommend some interview prep for the OP. Try Emerald Coast or if you are interested, PM me and I can recommend someone to you. Sounds like maybe what really needs some work are your interview skills and how you answer questions.

[

If PSA for instance which is taking pilots left and right without an ATP ( I have one ) gives me a rejection notice it does not take a genius to figure out why. If a single engine prop group gives a rejection notice it does not take a genius to figure out why. Have applied also at Xjet, Mesa and SkyW no response guess why? Have applied to at least 20 other charter jobs and heard nothing as well. Got a response from a c208 job and thats about as helpful in aviation as smashing your head against a wall.

No place will say its a DUI, pretty sure its not even legal for them to do that

Last edited:
You know... I have a feeling it's the latter. While a DUI can be a show stopper for some places, I wouldn't say it is the defining thing most places would hire or not hire you on. Especially something that far in the OP's past. I would recommend some interview prep for the OP. Try Emerald Coast or if you are interested, PM me and I can recommend someone to you. Sounds like maybe what really needs some work are your interview skills and how you answer questions.

the only questions I have been answering are yes no this and that on airline apps, climbt to 350.. ie standard questions on a questionnaire filling flight times, where i went to college, past work history etc. there have been 0 interviews so while a nice try its not that.

[

If PSA for instance which is taking pilots left and right without an ATP ( I have one ) gives me a rejection notice it does not take a genius to figure out why. If a single engine prop group gives a rejection notice it does not take a genius to figure out why. Have applied also at Xjet, Mesa and SkyW no response guess why? Have applied to at least 20 other charter jobs and heard nothing as well. Got a response from a c208 job and thats about as helpful in aviation as smashing your head against a wall.

No place will say its a DUI, pretty sure its not even legal for them to do that
The reason you're not hearing back from the charter places is because your times are not competitive. There's lots of freight guys with much more experience than you out there that typically soak up those jobs. But you don't want to go that route so..

The reason you're not hearing back from the charter places is because your times are not competitive. There's lots of freight guys with much more experience than you out there that typically soak up those jobs. But you don't want to go that route so..

If that route is not as beneficial as say a CRJ which has already been discussed then no why would you? thats not logical at all. Further when I say charter thats including freight jobs 402s, stuff like that. Though those have been applied through climbto350 which does not give a place to list a DUI no doubt that would ome up if i got a response which will of course be a big red flag and a thank you now go F off if that at all

heh i was going to leave this thread as i got my answer but (dui = death sentence ) then dustoffs comment just pulled me back in with the rage

Last edited:
If that route is not as beneficial as say a CRJ which has already been discussed then no why would you? thats not logical at all. Further when I say charter thats including freight jobs 402s, stuff like that. Though those have been applied through climbto350 which does not give a place to list a DUI no doubt that would ome up if i got a response which will of course be a big red flag and a thank you now go F off if that at all

heh i was going to leave this thread as i got my answer but (dui = death sentence ) then dustoffs comment just pulled me back in with the rage
Ok, let's review. Piston freight pilot vs crj fo - crj pilot probably looks better on paper. Turbine freight pilot vs crj fo - turbine freight pilot is typically more attractive to charter/corporate operators (history and personal experience tells me this). Also, please realize the crj pilot looks better to the majors (which you said you aren't interested in anyways).

You asked me "why" I would go the freight route. I'll do you one better and tell you why I did instead. It's so simple. In less than two years time I was able to improve my resume to the point where it attracted the attention of a reputable jet charter operator. Now, I was fortunate to fly freight for one of the best operators out there, so my experience was better than some others. During my time there I made a respectable living and had every weekend off to do as I pleased. I believe that experience worked out for me much better than it would've if I went to a regional.

Is my current employer perfect? No. Is it pretty good? Absolutely.

The route I took really wasn't that hard and my quality of life along the way wasn't that bad either. This fact is why I just can't understand why you would give up on aviation after all the work you've already put into it. I'm sure you'll bring up the dui again, and all I can say is stop letting that define you.

[QUOTE="1wrangler, post: 2355801, member: 22273" I'm sure you'll bring up the dui again, and all I can say is stop letting that define you.

And with that being said I give up too. It's just too frustrating.[/QUOTE]

thats right it is frustrating, i have not heard anything certainly from one of the best operators out there? who is that pre tell and i havnt heard from any of the brown stuff operators either so yeah since its the only thing thats keeping me out of a job yes it defines me.

[QUOTE="1wrangler, post: 2355801, member: 22273" I'm sure you'll bring up the dui again, and all I can say is stop letting that define you.

And with that being said I give up too. It's just too frustrating.

thats right it is frustrating, i have not heard anything certainly from one of the best operators out there? who is that pre tell and i havnt heard from any of the brown stuff operators either so yeah since its the only thing thats keeping me out of a job yes it defines me.[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to bring their name into this mess because I know they look at these boards, occasionally. I know for a fact that they are hurting for pilots though, so you are free to do more research and apply. Also, I know for a fact a dui would not prevent you from working with them. There were several people there when I was there that had a dui from years ago (I'm not one of them if you're wondering).

I'm not going to bring their name into this mess because I know they look at these boards, occasionally. I know for a fact that they are hurting for pilots though, so you are free to do more research and apply. Also, I know for a fact a dui would not prevent you from working with them. There were several people there when I was there that had a dui from years ago (I'm not one of them if you're wondering).

research on good freight operators? no idea where to start on that one[/QUOTE]

You're on the best site to do your research.

I have no clue where to start on that one.
the only thing i do is sit in my unemployed hole staring at apc jcareers orange site some other site .. ive probably seen them but have no idea who they are. frankly most people say how bad the operator is not the other way around so picking out the good one? not sure how that works

Last edited:
Back