Piper Navajo for sale $ 1.500.000 ??!!

Yes... And it's brand new with 2106 technology and a warranty. It's faster. It's way more efficient. It burns Jet fuel. It flies smooth and solid. I've only flown 6 different Navajos. It's not a bad plane, but every one I've flown felt like driving an old farm pickup truck.
View attachment 37078
Spec Box
2016 Diamond DA62
Standard price $1.08 million
Price as tested $1.24 million
Engine Austro Engines AE330 (2 x 180 hp)
Props MT 3-blade (2 x 76 inches)
22 more rows
We Fly: Diamond DA62 | Flying Magazine
www.flyingmag.com/we-fly-diamond-da62
Wow, that's a tough plane to beat.

Are they all "highway miles" or something? Only flown back and forth by an old lady to and from church?
What's in town miles? Flight training and pattern work?
"Please by my M model 172, landing light burned out in nose but I let it go because that's a stupid place to put a landing light Cessna. Beat the hell out of the pattern with this thing don't wanna deal with overhaul and all my dog crap landings damage. $1,500 obo."

What's in town miles? Flight training and pattern work?
"Please by my M model 172, landing light burned out in nose but I let it go because that's a stupid place to put a landing light Cessna. Beat the hell out of the pattern with this thing don't wanna deal with overhaul and all my dog crap landings damage. $1,500 obo."
No lowballers

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pretty steep for a piston twin imo. An equivalent 421C would be half that, or for the same money you could be in this

Definitely a beautiful aircraft, and I've always loved the Chieftain......great bird to fly.

Always wondered how the Panther conversion ones performed and how the redesign of things like the cowling inlets helped with temps and things like that.
Panther conversion is nice :) Helps with all you mentioned

To be honest this airplane has so much competition in its field. It's slow, unpressurized and from what I remember about the Ho it burns quite a bit of 100LL.
A late model Cessna 421C could be bought for 1/3 of the price and do the job so much better, geared engines or not. Plus you still get approximately 2100#s of useful load.

On the other side, I always thought the Chieftain was a fine aircraft to fly, it had a big airplane feel to it. The downside was it's lack of performance on one engine.

$1.5m though....hmmmm!

Bp244

The $60k paint job will look real good when it is being used as a 135 bird in the Bahamas and chocked with a rock at Marsh Harbor.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

The $60k paint job will look real good when it is being used as a 135 bird in the Bahamas and chocked with a rock at Marsh Harbor.

Something tells me this thing, if bought, won't be doing any real charter work. I could see a low level exec, who owns a company buying it. Or a lottery winner. I'd buy it if I won. I've had a Panther Chieftain in and out of some short strips. It did really well. Plus, with all the avionics it has.......

If I had a mil and a half laying around there's a lot of really cool airplanes I'd consider buying.

A Navajo isn't even kinda close to one of them. It's a slow, inefficient, loud, dying old breed that's only going to get more costly to maintain.

This guy is no different than people who restore cars, boats, guns, houses, etc. You take a junk frame worth X and add Y amount of crap to it, you don't get X+Y+even more just because you think it's nice.

The Baron and Diamond while similar price wise won't hold the same amount of people in the same comfort. but when it comes down to it, there's nothing this thing will do that a twin Cessna can't do in pressurized comfort for far less money. Any cabin class piston with a 430W is just as capable.

If I had a mil and a half laying around there's a lot of really cool airplanes I'd consider buying.

A Navajo isn't even kinda close to one of them. It's a slow, inefficient, loud, dying old breed that's only going to get more costly to maintain.

This guy is no different than people who restore cars, boats, guns, houses, etc. You take a junk frame worth X and add Y amount of crap to it, you don't get X+Y+even more just because you think it's nice.

The Baron and Diamond while similar price wise won't hold the same amount of people in the same comfort. but when it comes down to it, there's nothing this thing will do that a twin Cessna can't do in pressurized comfort for far less money. Any cabin class piston with a 430W is just as capable.

It could be argued in some places that houses will get you X + Y + Comfortable ROI but with everything else, yeah. There's a reason new airplanes in this cabin class have switched to turbine engines and done away with the spare engine. You can buy 10 year old TBM 700s for less than what this guy wants out of his 'jo.

If someone with the money decides that a refreshed version of an old airframe suits their needs who are we to discount their decision? Perhaps a person with a sense of nostalgia and time in type. There are a few DC-3s flying around, not to mention Beech 18s. Perhaps for the right buyer this airplane fits the bill, there's been more than one V-tail Bonanza upgraded to almost new specs. Sometimes the money isn't an issue and it's more about remembering a time that doesn't exist anymore but looks sweet through the rose colored glasses we all seem to see our past through. I highly doubt that airplane would end up on someones 135 cert. Perhaps it would be someones version of my J-3 Cub.

Edit: I don't own a J-3, but having one is a bucket list item.

If someone with the money decides that a refreshed version of an old airframe suits their needs who are we to discount their decision? Perhaps a person with a sense of nostalgia and time in type. There are a few DC-3s flying around, not to mention Beech 18s. Perhaps for the right buyer this airplane fits the bill, there's been more than one V-tail Bonanza upgraded to almost new specs. Sometimes the money isn't an issue and it's more about remembering a time that doesn't exist anymore but looks sweet through the rose colored glasses we all seem to see our past through. I highly doubt that airplane would end up on someones 135 cert. Perhaps it would be someones version of my J-3 Cub.

Edit: I don't own a J-3, but having one is a bucket list item.

While I don't disagree with you, it's the asking price that really gets me. Let's do a couple comps:

The next most expensive Navajo on Controller

A comparable 421C (add $150K for two new motors)

Lockheed nostalgia

Douglas impracticability

My Grumman dream toy

The list goes on. My only point being, you can buy an awful lot of airplane for $1.5M. On that budget you can purchase any of the above aircraft, IRAN, and operate them for quite a while before hitting the mark.

While I don't disagree with you, it's the asking price that really gets me. Let's do a couple comps:

The next most expensive Navajo on Controller

A comparable 421C (add $150K for two new motors)

Lockheed nostalgia

Douglas impracticability

My Grumman dream toy

The list goes on. My only point being, you can buy an awful lot of airplane for $1.5M. On that budget you can purchase any of the above aircraft, IRAN, and operate them for quite a while before hitting the mark.
Fair enough, but I suspect there might be a few owners that just prefer a certain airplane, Merle Norman comes to mind, still running a G-II, and it's not even a G-IIB. There are going to be people that are willing to throw good money after bad just because they like it. It might seem like lunacy to you, but you're not writing the checks.

Yes... And it's brand new with 2106 technology and a warranty. It's faster. It's way more efficient. It burns Jet fuel. It flies smooth and solid. I've only flown 6 different Navajos. It's not a bad plane, but every one I've flown felt like driving an old farm pickup truck.
View attachment 37078
Spec Box
2016 Diamond DA62
Standard price $1.08 million
Price as tested $1.24 million
Engine Austro Engines AE330 (2 x 180 hp)
Props MT 3-blade (2 x 76 inches)
22 more rows
We Fly: Diamond DA62 | Flying Magazine
www.flyingmag.com/we-fly-diamond-da62
yeah, but that won't carry pilot plus gas plus 1900 pounds all day long like the Ho will. All the people championing a 421 are looking at a different mission, because I don't care what you say, operating and maintenance costs on a pressurized airplane running geared motors are going to blow away a Chieftain, and carry less payload while doing it. The Ho with an upgross kit will carry ~2700 useful load and it'll do it for 2200 hours on a pair of motors (I don't know what TBO on a pair of GTSIO520s, but I'm sure it ain't 2200 hours, if you even get there). The Ho ain't gonna cruise comfortably in the flight levels but if your mission is shorter hops with a (almost literal) ton of stuff in the back, AND YOU REALLY WANT A SECOND ENGINE, it's still a mighty good airplane 30 years later. Oh also, pretty much every structural integrity AD on the chieftain has a terminating action, vs the Cessna SID program.

Now, for 1.5 mil acquisition cost, you're in caravan territory and if you're cool with one spinny thing it blows the Ho out of the water both in performance (other than cruise speed) and operating cost (depending what engine and maintenance program you're on, and assuming that you're not paying pump prices for Jet A).

That said you're all correct that 1.5 mil is absurd. Maybe it's one of those deals where his old lady said he had to sell the airplane so he's got it up for sale at a ridiculous price just to say he's working on it.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but I suspect there might be a few owners that just prefer a certain airplane, Merle Norman comes to mind, still running a G-II, and it's not even a G-IIB. There are going to be people that are willing to throw good money after bad just because they like it. It might seem like lunacy to you, but you're not writing the checks.

I completely agree and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but ...... the majority of people I know that have the fiscal wherewithal to indulge in these kinds of things also have the common sense to run the numbers. For example, if dumping money into their dream Navajo were on the list they would probably buy this one with 2125 hours on it and then spend $600K on new motors, panel, interior, paint, corrosion, et al that's involved with a plane of this vintage. Hell, to play it safe let's call it $800K for funsies. You'd have a "brand new" Navajo with 6K less hours on the airframe and you'd run it for free for years compared to dropping $1.5M on this OP's. The more I think about it, the more baffled I become trying to imagine the extravagances required to ask a million five for a Navajo. There must be 24kt gold somewhere in there.

Last edited:
Back