Pilot to TSA: 'No Groping Me and No Naked Photos'

What bothers me is that the guy's job is on the line. The fact is that we have to go through security to get to the secured area. If we choose not to go through security, or participate the ait program, consequence is we don't enter the secured area. IT SHOULD BE THAT SIMPLE. He was asked to leave and did. He didn't try to push his way through or sneak in another way. He left. It's as if TSA wanted to force him through.

Take the uniform out of the equation. Let's say he was in street clothes, would TSA have known he was a pilot? Probably not.

Would they have then asked for his supervisor's number not knowing his occupation? Probably not.

If the guy was business man and not a uniformed pilot would they have asked for his supervisor's number? Something to think about.

So the Federal government wants to wreck this guy's career because he chose not to enter a secured area. Well that's just great.

And I really hope that chief pilot has nothing to do with the management at
ASA.

I can't help but laugh when I go through TWO secured doors in ATL only to find a TSA person on the other side demanding to see my SIDA badge. Your tax dollars hard at work.

TSA is a perfect example of

This came down from our Flight Ops leadership a little while ago, forwarded from Delta Connection leadership...

To All Delta Connection Flight Crew and Inflight Leadership:

This memo is in regards to the Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) machine the TSA has recently put into service at MSP, checkpoint 10. In addition, the TSA has placed these units at other airports.

The TSA has notified Delta of some resistance received by crewmembers specifically when they are selected for the AIT screening. All crewmembers, Flight Operations or Inflight, are possible selectees for AIT Screening. While everyone selected for AIT screening by TSA has the right to refuse, any person refusing is subject to additional screening by TSA.

Due to the recent feedback received from TSA, DC requests you to please remind your crewmembers they do qualify as potential candidates for AIT screening. Please also advise they do have the right to refuse AIT screening, however, doing so will subject them to additional screening procedures.

This came down from our Flight Ops leadership a little while ago, forwarded from Delta Connection leadership...

Dumb question, but when they say "additional screening procedures", is that so they don't have to specify what they are going to make up that day?

I think my favorite park of the whole TSA thing is you CAN appeal to someone.....the TSA. To me, that straight up violates the system of checks and balances and due process set forth by the Constitution. But, hey, they're "keeping our skies safe" or something like that, so we can let a little thing like that slide....

I think my favorite park of the whole TSA thing is you CAN appeal to someone.....the TSA. To me, that straight up violates the system of checks and balances and due process set forth by the Constitution. But, hey, they're "keeping our skies safe" or something like that, so we can let a little thing like that slide....

Terrorism! 9-11 times a 1,000!

When you opt out, make sure you tell all the pax, that there is a A damn good reason you wont go through the scanner, and reccomend they opt out as well.

Imagine what would happen if everyone did that.

Hilarity would surely ensue... eventually

If you don't admit that you are a witch, then we are going to hang you for being a witch!

Sound familiar to anyone?

TSA is what keeps my business strong, Most of my charter passengers are paying me to fly them so they can avoid the hassles of TSA, screening, etc. Im not going to complain.

What kind of letters do you guys send? It would be nice if somebody wrote a generic letter that had fields for your return address and a place to sign that everyone could print off and send......

What kind of letters do you guys send? It would be nice if somebody wrote a generic letter that had fields for your return address and a place to sign that everyone could print off and send......

Honestly, this guy's gotten more publicity on the stupidity of the tub stackers by writing a blog post than bags of mail to Congressmen have gotten in years.

Honestly, this guy's gotten more publicity on the stupidity of the tub stackers by writing a blog post than bags of mail to Congressmen have gotten in years.
That could very well be the case, but a more direct approach could get the ball rolling. Just seems that if constituents are genuinely concerned (enough of them anyway) then there could be the possibility of legislation.....

That could very well be the case, but a more direct approach could get the ball rolling. Just seems that if constituents are genuinely concerned (enough of them anyway) then there could be the possibility of legislation.....

You mean more legislation? The TSA is already under mountains of paperwork to implement things that are supposed to streamline security and lessen private intrusion. Unfortunately, deadlines have come and gone multiple times. For example: CrewPass was supposed to be a "test case" at three airports. It was a rousing success, and it was supposed to be implemented roughly a year later across the US as part of a phased roll in. That was 2+ years ago. Thus far, the entire organization has had an uncanny knack of dodging deadlines and shrugging off Congressional mandates. Forgive me if I think the grass roots campaign isn't gonna do near as much as a public flogging.

The sad thing is that most Americans probably think that the TSA is making them safer. It's so frustrating that there's virtually nothing that people with common sense (like us) can do to change the direction that this is moving...aside from having all pilots go on strike until the TSA shows some common sense (which would never happen in a million years).

A pilot having to go trough a pat down at the airport? haha thats outrageous. Thankfully we still show some respect to our pilots down here.

Don't expect to see any improvement before 2013 when we reach the end of an error.

Which error? If you're talking about the Obama admin, I'm not sure putting the guys that created the TSA and gave them all their power right back in the office would "fix" much.....

The ACLU has a nice video on what you rights are during a traffic stop.
Do they have anything similar or at least a pamphlet on what your rights are at an airport. It seems as you are being detained at both... in fact the police have much less authority AFTER they witness you break a law then the TSA does while you've done nothing wrong.

Back