Pilot Shortage ???

Crazy stuff you guys deal with. I assume federal law mandates that a carrier buying another has to comply with the union contract of the acquired carrier?

Well, just about every contract has a successorship clause that requires an acquiring company to comply with the existing labor agreement. I'm not aware of a federal statute that requires it, which is probably why we always write it into the CBA.

No. SWA management insisted during the seniority integration talks that the 717s were staying until the leases expired, which meant the last 717 wasn't supposed to leave until 2023.
I thought they were going to try and renegotiate those leases for much quicker expiration's in favor of more 737s?

No, what our scope clause says is that if our company, or a successor to our company (Southwest), sells equipment that produces more than 30% of our total system block hours, then they are required to include in their negotiations on the sale that our pilots go with the planes.

Technically, Delta isn't buying the planes. They are just a sublease, so I guess their argument could be that since SWA still holds the leases, they didn't give up control. When the subleases expire, Delta will return the airplanes to SWA. Of course, Boeing actually owns a bunch of them so I guess SWA will then turn them back to Boeing, and then maybe sell the owned planes

Technically, Delta isn't buying the planes. They are just a sublease, so I guess their argument could be that since SWA still holds the leases, they didn't give up control. When the subleases expire, Delta will return the airplanes to SWA. Of course, Boeing actually owns a bunch of them so I guess SWA will then turn them back to Boeing, and then maybe sell the owned planes

None of that is relevant. The language applies to any transfer of assets, not just a sale.

None of that is relevant.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345861288.555512.jpg

Sent from my TRS-80

None of that is relevant. The language applies to any transfer of assets, not just a sale.
So, if SWA just returned all the airplanes back to Boeing, would it still count, and would you then go to Boeing? How about if they transferred the assets to Victorville?

"Geev de Ayer Tran geiss a wide berth"

Sent from my TRS-80

So, if SWA just returned all the airplanes back to Boeing, would it still count, and would you then go to Boeing? How about if they transferred the assets to Victorville?

The language includes what are called "multi-step transactions." So if SWA were to return the airplanes to Boeing with the intent of Boeing then leasing the airplanes to Delta, then the language still applies. The company would still be required to negotiate the transfer of the pilots to Delta before transferring the planes. I would imagine that your scope language includes something similar, although I haven't looked at it lately.

The language includes what are called "multi-step transactions." So if SWA were to return the airplanes to Boeing with the intent of Boeing then leasing the airplanes to Delta, then the language still applies. The company would still be required to negotiate the transfer of the pilots to Delta before transferring the planes. I would imagine that your scope language includes something similar, although I haven't looked at it lately.
Not what I'm talking about. Suppose no one wanted the planes. But that brings up a good question. How long would Boeing have to hold the planes before releasing them out in order to break the trail. Or the planes are returned and then Crapistan Air wants them. Would they have to take you?

Just ask to be a Delta Submarine Commander Damn IT!!!!!!!

Ask? Hell, I'd get down on my hands and knees and swear allegiance to the Widget if it would help. :) But Delta won't even be hiring until at least 2014 is the latest word, so I'm just planning my exit from aviation. Planning to take my real estate license test next week, then into the family business. The goal is to have my real estate income high enough to be able to resign prior to my transition to SWA, which will probably happen early 2015. As for everyone else here at the Tran, most FOs are updating their logbooks, and even some captains are looking to overseas carriers for opportunities. Talked to a captain a month or so ago who was putting his app in at your carrier, in fact.

Y'all should ask the arbitrator to force Delta to accept the pilots from AirTran with the planes.
So how does that work? How does an arbitrator force a third party, who is not a part of the arbitration at all to comply? What leverage does the arbitrator have when he is told to go pound sand by Delta.

Not what I'm talking about. Suppose no one wanted the planes. But that brings up a good question. How long would Boeing have to hold the planes before releasing them out in order to break the trail. Or the planes are returned and then Crapistan Air wants them. Would they have to take you?

The deal would have to involve some evidence of intent to transfer the airplanes to another air carrier rather than simply parking them. If there was no evidence of a deal, and the planes were just parked in the desert, then the language isn't triggered, even if the planes then go to another air carrier six months later.

So how does that work? How does an arbitrator force a third party, who is not a part of the arbitration at all to comply? What leverage does the arbitrator have when he is told to go pound sand by Delta.

He doesn't. The Squatch is joking because it's a great opportunity to remind everyone that you guys look like Sean Connery in The Hunt for Red October with your sub commander uniforms. ;)

I'm asking it jokingly. The reaction from y'all would be awesome though :)

Back