Pilot Shortage ???

My old college roommate interviewed at LAN Chile with 320 hours. The kid could speak Spanish as if it was his first language, which is what they basically wanted.

Yup! I know when the came to the job fair one of the requirements was that the applicant spoke Spanish fluently. Drats! I should have paid attention in Spanish class. :-(

Im a first officer for a major south american airline, currently im flying an A320 my credentials are as follow

Total time = 3000
A320= 1500
Turboprop= 1000

Im currently working on my bachelors degree, extensive international travel throughout north, south, central america and the carribean, and i am legal to work in the states.

With the upcoming pilot shortage and with my experience what are my chances of landing a job at a major/ low cost carrier/ cargo carrier, i appreciate all the input good or bad :) this is my first post thanks for everything.

I don't want to come off as a jerk, but why don't you stay where your at? seems like your already flying all over the place. would it be worth it to start over at a question mark of a us airline?

Southwest won't be hiring for a while, unless for some reason the AirTran pilots get the go ahead to go with the 717s to Delta. I'm sure there are a chunk that would actually prefer that, especially if they already live in ATL. If that happens, Delta's hiring slows down a bit, too. AA....who knows? If they merge with US Airways, you might see some hiring start to happen. Then as they consolidate routes, etc, it'll slow. When the retirements kick in, it'll pick back up....unless we get the Age 67 rule, then it'll screech to a halt again. Virgin is hiring, and I believe Alaska is either hiring or will be soon. jetBlue has over 100 guys waiting on a class date, and they're running classes of about 5 at a time right now. If hiring picks up elsewhere, jetBlue hiring will pick up. I'd guess IF they continue classes as they are, we're looking at interviews for new hires late next year. FedEx and Atlas/Polar are hiring, too.

Basically, I've been hearing the words "pilot shortage" for over a decade now, before I even had a PPL. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, it's a marketing tool for flight schools.

Southwest won't be hiring for a while, unless for some reason the AirTran pilots get the go ahead to go with the 717s to Delta. I'm sure there are a chunk that would actually prefer that, especially if they already live in ATL. If that happens, Delta's hiring slows down a bit, too
While I'm sure that the Airtran pilots would love to come with the airplanes, that rumor has already been put down. It's planes only, no employees.

....unless we get the Age 67 rule.

I agree with you, although thank God I've never actually seen anything official from the Feds or our (or anybody else's) management for that matter pushing the age 67 rule... I think its just pilots drumming up drama. Probably shouldn't talk about it too much or someone might get some ideas...

Our position is that Southwest management violated our scope clause by not negotiating for us to go to Delta with the 717s. However, that's a dispute with SWA management, and if we were to prevail in arbitration, it still doesn't force Delta to take us. Delta isn't party to our agreement. SWA is the one in violation, so the remedy would likely be financial. In other words, unless Delta just decides to be magnanimous and offer us a bunch of jobs, then we ain't going to Delta. But believe me, a huge chunk of our pilot group wishes we could to escape the nightmare that is the SWA merger.

As far as hiring, SWA is overstaffed, there is zero growth on the horizon, and retirements are painfully slow for the next 10+ years. Don't expect hiring at all for the next couple of years, and don't expect more than minimal hiring for the next decade, if any at all.

For argument sakes, how can a fair monetary figure on the AirTran Pilots NOT going with the 717s be given?

Our position is that Southwest management violated our scope clause by not negotiating for us to go to Delta with the 717s. However, that's a dispute with SWA management, and if we were to prevail in arbitration, it still doesn't force Delta to take us. Delta isn't party to our agreement. SWA is the one in violation, so the remedy would likely be financial. In other words, unless Delta just decides to be magnanimous and offer us a bunch of jobs, then we ain't going to Delta. But believe me, a huge chunk of our pilot group wishes we could to escape the nightmare that is the SWA merger.

As far as hiring, SWA is overstaffed, there is zero growth on the horizon, and retirements are painfully slow for the next 10+ years. Don't expect hiring at all for the next couple of years, and don't expect more than minimal hiring for the next decade, if any at all.

Outsider curiosity here: you had a scope clause that said if another company bought you they (the company buying you) had to negotiate with Delta, a third party, to hire a number of specific planes and pilots? I don't know anything about this stuff but that's how I read your 1st sentence.

Outsider curiosity here: you had a scope clause that said if another company bought you they (the company buying you) had to negotiate with Delta, a third party, to hire a number of specific planes and pilots? I don't know anything about this stuff but that's how I read your 1st sentence.

No, what our scope clause says is that if our company, or a successor to our company (Southwest), sells equipment that produces more than 30% of our total system block hours, then they are required to include in their negotiations on the sale that our pilots go with the planes. The 717s represent about 70% of our block hours, and they transfer quickly enough to trigger the scope clause fragmentation language. So, SWA was supposed to negotiate for us to go with the planes. As best we can tell, they made no such efforts.

No, what our scope clause says is that if our company, or a successor to our company (Southwest), sells equipment that produces more than 30% of our total system block hours, then they are required to include in their negotiations on the sale that our pilots go with the planes. The 717s represent about 70% of our block hours, and they transfer quickly enough to trigger the scope clause fragmentation language. So, SWA was supposed to negotiate for us to go with the planes. As best we can tell, they made no such efforts.

Oh, thanks! Interesting!

So what would happen if they sold the planes to a crappy company and your buyer did actually negotiate to send pilots with them? Do you have an out?

Oh, thanks! Interesting!

So what would happen if they sold the planes to a crappy company and your buyer did actually negotiate to send pilots with them? Do you have an out?

Not really. But the transfer of pilots happens according to a bid process, so you wouldn't get forced to go unless you were junior. Typically that's not a problem, because if the fragmentation language is triggered, it usually means that furloughs would result if the pilots weren't able to transfer, anyway. A crappy job is typically viewed as better than no job at all. Fragmentation language is a job security provision, meant to protect pilots from ending up on the street. The issues with the 717 sale are a bit unique, since SWA claims that no pilots will be furloughed as a result of the sale (although I'm skeptical of that claim).

Not really. But the transfer of pilots happens according to a bid process, so you wouldn't get forced to go unless you were junior. Typically that's not a problem, because if the fragmentation language is triggered, it usually means that furloughs would result if the pilots weren't able to transfer, anyway. A crappy job is typically viewed as better than no job at all. Fragmentation language is a job security provision, meant to protect pilots from ending up on the street. The issues with the 717 sale are a bit unique, since SWA claims that no pilots will be furloughed as a result of the sale (although I'm skeptical of that claim).

Crazy stuff you guys deal with. I assume federal law mandates that a carrier buying another has to comply with the union contract of the acquired carrier?

Back