Pilatus with 7 Aboard Down Off The Coast of NC

Doesn't the Pilatus have quite a terrible, wing dropping stall characteristic?
Yes, in certain conditions it does -- there's a video of the test pilots will full aileron input just prior to the break. It has a stall pusher for that reason. I have done a power off clean stall in the simulator, and it was as docile as any airplane I've ever flown. I have no idea how well or poorly that approximates reality.

Yes, in certain conditions it does -- there's a video of the test pilots will full aileron input just prior to the break. It has a stall pusher for that reason. I have done a power off clean stall in the simulator, and it was as docile as any airplane I've ever flown. I have no idea how well or poorly that approximates reality.
Acquaintance of mine did some flight test in it, says power off is really docile. The video of the wild break is power on and it looks like the airplane is torque rolling

Acquaintance of mine did some flight test in it, says power off is really docile. The video of the wild break is power on and it looks like the airplane is torque rolling
Takeoff rudder trim is way out to the right for that reason. The only time rudder trim is centered, is in cruise.

What’s truly amazing to me is caravan pod weights. I have personally seen a guy put well over two times the limited pod weight (limit is 1080), load the airplane full of villagers, top the mains, and blast off…

It is terrifying that this was basically industry standard for awhile up here.
In Florida it would go something like
"Gimme your best rate"
ITT 820°, 400 fpm
"That's the best we can do today"

Condolences to the families of this crash victims.
Someone mentioned Bramlage crash - ugh, that one was "gives me heebie-jeebies" bad.

Last edited:
Obvious question - but what’s the CVR or data recording equip they could fish out of a PC-12?
A CVR and LDR (lightweight data recorder) with underwater locating beacon are standard equipment.

Pretty sure the LDR will display everything that goes through the EFIS screens (flight instrument data, engine parameters, caution/warning, flap, trim, landing gear position, autopilot status), which is pretty much everything going on with the airplane except flight control inputs.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t call any stall in the PC12 docile… Once it stalls it doesn’t want to fly again. Takes some finesse and like others have said, the torque from adding back that 1200 HP will put you right back into a stall. Been 5 years since I’ve flown it but I do remember stalling it would be quite undesirable.

I wouldn’t call any stall in the PC12 docile… Once it stalls it doesn’t want to fly again. Takes some finesse and like others have said, the torque from adding back that 1200 HP will put you right back into a stall. Been 5 years since I’ve flown it but I do remember stalling it would be quite undesirable.
I flew it for a living too. Did you ever actually stall it?

I flew it for a living too. Did you ever actually stall it?

Man it’s been a long time, I remember doing something that I didn’t like and having the oh crap this would suck moment, but I *think* training was supposed to only go to pusher.. Maybe power off went to full stall? Other than that, the airplane was probably the most stable flying airplane in existence—which really makes my stomach crawl when I see accidents like this or Bramlage.

Thats the crash I referred to, that was Florida right? He said SD? I’m curious what iced up Pilatus accident they’re talking about.
Yes that was Florida. This is the other one.

Back