PHX doctor arrested for pointing rifle at KPHX terminal

Its popular in a number of places, but just has kind of a niche following. I don't know if its so much scary brown people, as it is just not marketed well. Since shawarma is made at any number of Medeterranean as well as middle eastern restaurants/markets.

I was half joking about the scary brown people.

I was introduced to Shawarma in Amsterdam and was really happy to find it at a place in DC last week where I was reminded I need more delicious meat products in my life.

Geez....easy on the stereotyping. Sure the target is "acceptable" when the word white is used, but substitute any other color-of-skin description other than white, and the R-card will instantly get played.

I just sat through a lecture in one of my Higher Ed Admin courses where they talked about how men, Caucasian men specifically, tend to dominate classroom discussion and prohibit other students from participating. My jaw hit the floor, but then I looked around and realized I was only one of two guys in the class. The other gender, or any other ethnicity and you'd be reading about it on MSNBC.

And I can stereotype my own people - I call it the Chris Rock effect. :)

Plus stereotyping, er, archetyping is what I do for a living.

I just sat through a lecture in one of my Higher Ed Admin courses where they talked about how men, Caucasian men specifically, tend to dominate classroom discussion and prohibit other students from participating. My jaw hit the floor, but then I looked around and realized I was only one of two guys in the class. The other gender, or any other ethnicity and you'd be reading about it on MSNBC.

And I can stereotype my own people - I call it the Chris Rock effect. :)

Plus stereotyping, er, archetyping is what I do for a living.

All I'm saying is that one can blame whitey all they like, but when someone applies the "good for the goose, good for the gander" effect, all of a sudden all kinds of double standards come out of the woodwork.

And yeah, I saw the same "white man to blame for everything" crap during thr cultural sensitivity classes the local tribe was putting on. Blah blah blah.

All I'm saying is that one can blame whitey all they like, but when someone applies the "good for the goose, good for the gander" effect, all of a sudden all kinds of double standards come out of the woodwork.

And yeah, I saw the same "white man to blame for everything" crap during thr cultural sensitivity classes the local tribe was putting on. Blah blah blah.

Can't argue with you there. It's pretty thick in higher ed.

2nd Amendment. There are smart ways to exercise this, and there are dumb ways to. This falls in the dumb category, and its unfortunate that this may adversely affect the career of a prominent PHX valley neurology Dr with the Barrow Neurological Center here. Taking your AR-15 slung over your shoulder to the airport for no other reason than to exercise your right to, while legal, isn't very smart and can easily get one in trouble; especially when one has no other business at the airport. While his conduct was possibly accidental, the decisionmaking appears to be in serious question.

Isn't one of the first things they teach you about owning a weapon to never point it at anything you don't want to put a hole into?

I don't care if the weapon was loaded or not. A weapon pointed at me is going to get me to duck behind something or if there's nothing, well, I'm going to figure I'll either die before I disarm the guy pointing it at me or if I'm lucky he'll miss. Either way, I'm hitting him.

There are ways to fight certain battles in order to further your cause. Then there are ways to dick that away and this turd dicked it away. If he was sweeping folks, his right to carry just ended at my right not to have the muzzle on an AR sweep across a family member or myself. Nothing wrong with open carry, doesn't mean you have a small cock (dont make me prove it!) As long as the open carrier adheres to the guidelines, rules, laws, etc. I open carried in Arizona and most folks didn't notice but some did and being I'm a big dude, I was asked if i was a cop all the time. One restaurant asked me to leave as he feared I might scare his customers, so I politely left, he even paid for my drinks. So this no talent assclown •ed it away with his foolish antics.

I know that I'd never be able to open carry even if I wanted to being that someone would always be threatened by me.

Being this dummy is walking around an airport with an AC 15.. what if a conceal carry looks at this guy, thinks he's a threat, and blows him away?

I know that I'd never be able to open carry even if I wanted to being that someone would always be threatened by me.

Being this dummy is walking around an airport with an AC 15.. what if a conceal carry looks at this guy, thinks he's a threat, and blows him away?

I fully understand. At least we shouldn't have to wear a shirt, tie and "Disney friendly" dreadlocks while doing so, but you know that'll never happen! ;)

That's the other problem I have with open carry...or even concealed in some situations (I'll explain in a second).

Pretend you were in a state that was the NRAs wet dream and absolutely everyone was open carrying. Say you're at the grocery store and someone decides to shoot someone. Suddenly everyone around you is trying to do the right thing and take him down, yet everyone is holding a gun. Very few are going to be able to pinpoint the culprit and act accordingly, the rest will probably be reacting to the aftermath and not really know who the target should be.

As for the concealed carry situation, I heard some people say "well if someone had been carrying at the movie theater, the Colorado shooting would have been mitigated. Maybe, but I also think that a dark, loud, and crowded theater might not be as easy a situation as they think.

I'm not against concealed carry. I have reservations against open carry, but they're not related to the safety of anyone but the one carrying. But I think in both cases there are a lot of situations where an untrained civilian going about their daily business will be more of a hinderance than they probably think.

This guy doesn't seem threatening. Not pointing the barrel at anyone, and a holstered pistol. But that's just me. Still, anyone open carrying a rifle or in many cases a pistol, will cause some people to feel threatened or intimidated, regardless of race.

ar-15.jpg

Being this dummy is walking around an airport with an AR 15.. what if a conceal carry looks at this guy, thinks he's a threat, and blows him away?

Pretend you were in a state that was the NRAs wet dream and absolutely everyone was open carrying. Say you're at the grocery store and someone decides to shoot someone. Suddenly everyone around you is trying to do the right thing and take him down, yet everyone is holding a gun. Very few are going to be able to pinpoint the culprit and act accordingly, the rest will probably be reacting to the aftermath and not really know who the target should be.

As for the concealed carry situation, I heard some people say "well if someone had been carrying at the movie theater, the Colorado shooting would have been mitigated. Maybe, but I also think that a dark, loud, and crowded theater might not be as easy a situation as they think.

I'm not against concealed carry. I have reservations against open carry, but they're not related to the safety of anyone but the one carrying. But I think in both cases there are a lot of situations where an untrained civilian going about their daily business will be more of a hinderance than they probably think.

Agree with both of the above. However one can't just shoot someone who is legally carrying a gun, just because they feel they were a threat. Threat has to be articulated far better than that; ie- the person has to be doing something more than just carrying the gun in a holster or slung over the shoulder. With them brandishing it in some manner, it's difficult to articulate a clear and present threat to one's life, to the point that it causes them to shoot at the person and injure/kill them, or others.

Agree with both of the above. However one can't just shoot someone who is legally carrying a gun, just because they feel they were a threat. Threat has to be articulated far better than that; ie- the person has to be doing something more than just carrying the gun in a holster or slung over the shoulder. With them brandishing it in some manner, it's difficult to articulate a clear and present threat to one's life, to the point that it causes them to shoot at the person and injure/kill them, or others.

Agreed, that wasn't what I was implying. I was suggesting more of a situation where everyone hears a gunshot, so they unholster their weapons and now everybody is standing around holding a gun unsure of who fired the shot at someone.

Not so much a comment about the PHX situation, but rather an argument as to why carrying might not always make things safer.

The problem here is that things like this are all about perception. Someone only has to "feel" threatened to report someone like the Dr. I wasn't there, I don't know to what degree the weapon was manipulated and to what degree those manipulations caused the other persons to feel threatened.

What I do know is that the Dr, by his own actions of needlessly bringing a rifle to the airport, opened himself up to problems that were completely unnecessary and had zero bearing on anything productive, bringing unneeded attention to himself as well as his employer. And for what?

Agreed, that wasn't what I was implying. I was suggesting more of a situation where everyone hears a gunshot, so they unholster their weapons and now everybody is standing around holding a gun unsure of who fired the shot at someone.

Not so much a comment about the PHX situation, but rather an argument as to why carrying might not always make things safer.

No, I'm with you on this. This that you mention would be a "situation #2" of what I was describing as "situation #1". So yes, I agree too that in a situation with a gunshot fired, now you have a lot of people drawing/brandishing their weapons, all feeling threatened and all not knowing if the other person in plain clothes is a good guy or a bad guy, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Back