Penair adds more routes out of PDX

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 5, 2016

PENAIR ADDS THREE ADDITIONAL DESTINATIONS FROM PORTLAND, OR

ANCHORAGE, ALASKA – PenAir, one of Alaska’s largest regional airlines, has announced that over the next three months they will be expanding service out of Portland, OR, to three additional destinations.

On March 21, 2016, PenAir will initiate new daily service from Portland, OR to North Bend/Coos Bay, OR.

Effective April 21, 2016, PenAir will provide service out of Portland, OR, to Redding, CA, and Arcata/Eureka, CA. PenAir will operate two flights per day to each of these destinations with their 30-seat Saab 340 turboprop aircraft.

According to Danny Seybert, PenAir’s CEO, “Ever since opening our new hub at the Portland Airport, we have continued to look at additional Pacific Northwest destinations. PenAir has been in operation for 60 years throughout Alaska and for the last several years in the Northeast U.S. We plan to provide daily service to Redding, Arcata/Eureka, and North Bend with our Saab 340 aircraft while providing our Alaskan brand of reliable customer service.”

“PenAir began operating daily service out of Portland, OR, to Crescent City, CA, on September 15, 2015. Since then, we have met with key officials from each of these three additional communities during the planning process”, said Dave Hall, PenAir’s Chief Operating Officer. “All the communities have been especially supportive of PenAir and our plan to operate in markets similar in size to some Alaska and East Coast markets.”

Coos Bay borders the City of North Bend, and is often referred to as Coos Bay-North Bend. It is the largest city on the Oregon Coast. “Coos Bay is also home to the Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, a world-class venue comprised of 4 links-style courses and a par-3 golf course. We are excited to market and promote this year-round, world-class venue”, said Melissa Roberts, VP of Marketing. “We are also excited to initiate service to Portland from both Redding and Arcata/Eureka. With 75 connecting flights out of Oregon’s largest airport, and the ease of getting to and around this airport, our customers will be able to connect to many domestic U. S., European and Asian destinations in a timely and efficient manner.”

“We’re pleased to see PenAir expand their service at PDX,” said David Zielke, Port of Portland air service director. “Linking smaller cities in southern Oregon and northern California to PDX with convenient, nonstop flights opens a world of possibilities and connections for both business and leisure travelers.”

Proposed flight schedule:

Monday thru Sunday – daily midday service

Effective Dates

Market

Departs

Arrives

March 21, 2016

Portland – North Bend

10:20 AM

11:10 AM**

North Bend – Portland

11:40 AM

12:30 PM**

April 21, 2016

Redding – Portland

4:50 AM

7:20 AM*

Portland – Redding

1:35 PM

3:10 PM

Redding – Portland

3:40 PM

5:15 PM

Portland – Redding

6:30 PM

9:00 PM*

April 21, 2016

Arcata/Eureka – Portland

5:50 AM

7:20 AM

Portland – Arcata/Eureka

9:20 AM

10:50 AM

Arcata/Eureka – Portland

11:20 AM

12:50 PM

Portland – Arcata/Eureka

6:30 PM

8:00 PM

*Indicates thru flight with Arcata/Eureka.

**Indicates daily service 3/21/16 thru 10/14/16. Effective 10/15/16 service will be reduced to 4 times/week.
Flight departure and arrival times for Portland/North Bend routes will change on 4/21/16 to 20 minutes later than listed above.

PenAir currently operates out of the E Gates at the Portland Airport. Effective 3/1/16 they will begin operating out of gates B2 & B3

VOR-B circle 22. It's straight in.
Guess you'll find out that doesn't get you to mins, cause North Bend is quite foggy...you can always try it, I suppose. I just know our Q200 days there were a challenge...trying to pass along alittle experience to a new Captain.

(I guess since he flies in AK, he can handle anything the world that can be thrown at him...o_O)

Guess you'll find out that doesn't get you to mins, cause North Bend is quite foggy...you can always try it, I suppose. I just know our Q200 days there were a challenge...trying to pass along alittle experience to a new Captain.

(I guess since he flies in AK, he can handle anything the world that can be thrown at him...o_O)
I've got months worth of pages in my logbook that is nothing but pdx-oth-bok-oth-pdx. I've been there a couple times. The MDA for circling off the ILS or the VOR-B is the same, and when the wind is 220@25, well that ILS isn't super useful.
My favorite to save time coming from the north if it was low enough for an approach but still VFR was to request the ILS via the VOR. The feeder route puts you on a nice downwind at a much lower altitude and you can skip doing the arc. Cancel on the way out to the FAF outbound.

Haha. It's gonna be the complete opposite. I am gonna be outside of my element.

Nah dude, some of the most challenging flying I've done in my career was a Caravan in the Pacific Northwest. Oregon and Washington are no joke!

Back